GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gionta Signs with Habs

+6
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
wprager
SensFan71
davetherave
Tuk Tuk
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Gionta Signs with Habs Empty Gionta Signs with Habs Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:43 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Another small player Facepalm

2Gionta Signs with Habs Empty Re: Gionta Signs with Habs Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:47 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Maybe Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri play on the same line? Wink

Henri Richard and Yvon Cournoyer weren't 'big'...except in the way they played.

Anyway, Hal Gill and Le Grand Georges will be on call if things get rough.

And as I remember, Cammi has a fair bit of nasty in him.

3Gionta Signs with Habs Empty Re: Gionta Signs with Habs Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:51 pm

davetherave wrote:

That nasty is in the form of Heatley-style hacks and stick work

4Gionta Signs with Habs Empty Re: Gionta Signs with Habs Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:57 pm

davetherave wrote:Maybe Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri play on the same line? Wink

Weren't the Sens criticized for the last few years for being a 1 line team ?

5Gionta Signs with Habs Empty Re: Gionta Signs with Habs Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:41 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

cas wrote:
davetherave wrote:

That nasty is in the form of Heatley-style hacks and stick work

he's like Heatley too in the sense he disappears when the going gets tough (playoffs)

6Gionta Signs with Habs Empty Re: Gionta Signs with Habs Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:44 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:Maybe Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri play on the same line? Wink

Dave, seriously, it's a different game now. Karlsson would probably tower over Kharlamov.

Hal Gill won't there to help them out in the opposite end corners. And even in his won end he's not quick enough or fast enough to keep up. These guys are quick and are not going to get hit a lot, but when they do they won't be getting up very quickly. Plus a lot of the plays where their size will go against them will not be rough plays at all, but just trying to push their way forward against the boards. Actually, the more I think of it the less likely I see the three of them playing on the same line.

7Gionta Signs with Habs Empty Re: Gionta Signs with Habs Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:36 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

5 x 5

What a god-awful deal. Gionta was overpaid last year. That guy deserves Mike Comrie money at best. He'll never top 60 points again.

Montreal took plenty of swings this week and definitely hit a few balls -- problem is, they were all foul balls.

Yikes. Gainey won't last the year. Or at least he shouldn't.

8Gionta Signs with Habs Empty Re: Gionta Signs with Habs Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:42 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:5 x 5

What a god-awful deal. Gionta was overpaid last year. That guy deserves Mike Comrie money at best. He'll never top 60 points again.

Montreal took plenty of swings this week and definitely hit a few balls -- problem is, they were all foul balls.

Yikes. Gainey won't last the year. Or at least he shouldn't.

I guess he wanted to make a splash for the 2nd part of their 100th celebration, wrong splash to make, they are smaller and will get beat around senseless.

9Gionta Signs with Habs Empty Re: Gionta Signs with Habs Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:18 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Gionta and GOmez will get many points on the PP, as long as Markov is still there.

10Gionta Signs with Habs Empty Re: Gionta Signs with Habs Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:45 pm

I like the new habs, one element missing ... I'm trying to figure out how much cash they have left, it's hard to determine.

Either Kovalev or Tanguay would be nice to return. I know Tanguay is younger, but my heart's with kovy. ....

11Gionta Signs with Habs Empty Re: Gionta Signs with Habs Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I like that Gainey re-united Gomez and Gionta. They need more offensive depth, but I didn't mind this move. They overpaid, but that's how it works sometimes.

I'm still a little bitter than Gainey helped out Sather though. He was diddled.

12Gionta Signs with Habs Empty Re: Gionta Signs with Habs Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:01 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I like that Gainey re-united Gomez and Gionta. They need more offensive depth, but I didn't mind this move. They overpaid, but that's how it works sometimes.

I'm still a little bitter than Gainey helped out Sather though. He was diddled.

SpezD> NHL GMs actually do help each other out when it serves their purposes. Wink

Yeah, Gainey might have 'overpaid' to get Gomez...but it allowed him to put together the components of what could be a very productive line for the Habs. Gionta-Gomez-Cammalleri is a trio that can skate circles around the opposition, score big goals, forecheck and backcheck. Hey, how about that...

And all three are nasty. Call it hacking and stick work, whatever you want, these guys aren't floaters. Gionta, in particular, crashes the net like he's six inches taller.

Gomez and Gionta are also Cup winners.

No predictions on how the Habs fare next year, of course...but IMHO the Canadiens now have the potential to play as a team again...with the distractions subtracted.

13Gionta Signs with Habs Empty Re: Gionta Signs with Habs Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:46 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I'm actually more leary of the Leafs this season than I am against the Canadiens.

Losing Komisarek made Montreal's defense softer than velour.

14Gionta Signs with Habs Empty Re: Gionta Signs with Habs Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:49 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

HowieMorenz wrote:I like the new habs, one element missing ... I'm trying to figure out how much cash they have left, it's hard to determine.

Either Kovalev or Tanguay would be nice to return. I know Tanguay is younger, but my heart's with kovy. ....

As much as I hate plugging the other site, their cap central is really good. I actually used to go to it before they teamed with HB. If you'd rather somewhat bypass HB, you can go directly to www.nhlscap.com ... it still works. According to that site, the Habs currently sit at a cap hit of 47,961,390, and thus have a 8,838,610 remaining. And those are the updated numbers, including the Gomez trade, and the Gionta, Cammy, Spacek, and Gill signings.

15Gionta Signs with Habs Empty Re: Gionta Signs with Habs Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:57 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:I'm actually more leary of the Leafs this season than I am against the Canadiens.

Losing Komisarek made Montreal's defense softer than velour.

That's why they picked up Hal Gill... hahahahah! That guy is the softest big guy in the league. Remember when he was in Boston and he had those bouts with Neil. Neil would own him, despite being over half a foot shorter. Lee could probably take Gill.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum