GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: SCP '09, FRIDAY JUNE 12, STANLEY CUP FINAL--PITTSBURGH AT DETROIT, 800 PM ET

+11
shield4life
The Silfer Server
caissie_1
Hockeyhero22000
shabbs
beedub
LethalLehner
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
davetherave
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

WHO WINS GAME SEVEN AND THE STANLEY CUP?

GAME DAY: SCP '09, FRIDAY JUNE 12, STANLEY CUP FINAL--PITTSBURGH AT DETROIT, 800 PM ET Vote_lcap262%GAME DAY: SCP '09, FRIDAY JUNE 12, STANLEY CUP FINAL--PITTSBURGH AT DETROIT, 800 PM ET Vote_rcap2 62% [ 8 ]
GAME DAY: SCP '09, FRIDAY JUNE 12, STANLEY CUP FINAL--PITTSBURGH AT DETROIT, 800 PM ET Vote_lcap238%GAME DAY: SCP '09, FRIDAY JUNE 12, STANLEY CUP FINAL--PITTSBURGH AT DETROIT, 800 PM ET Vote_rcap2 38% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 13

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 11]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GAME DAY: SCP '09, FRIDAY JUNE 12, STANLEY CUP FINAL--PITTSBURGH AT DETROIT, 800 PM ET PitPittsburgh at GAME DAY: SCP '09, FRIDAY JUNE 12, STANLEY CUP FINAL--PITTSBURGH AT DETROIT, 800 PM ET DetDetroit

GAME SEVEN, 2009 STANLEY CUP FINALS

8:00 PM ET, June 12, 2009
Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, Michigan

NBC/CBC/RDS

Penguins-Red Wings Preview

MORE FROM ESPN, INCLUDING VIDEO PREVIEW:
http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/preview?gameId=290612005

DETROIT (ESPN/AP) -- Nicklas Lidstrom, Chris Osgood and Kirk Maltby spread out like a perfectly shaped triangle in the Detroit Red Wings dressing room and tried to explain how Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals is really like any other game.

When that seemingly unbelievable message comes from guys who have championship rings that nearly cover a whole hand it begins to sound plausible.

"It's hard to really mentally sell it to yourself that it's just another game, but it is," Maltby said Thursday.

Lidstrom, Maltby, Tomas Holmstrom and Kris Draper are going for their fifth title in 12 seasons Friday night in Game 7 against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Osgood is on the verge of a fourth ring, third as the Red Wings starting goalie.

Detroit had a shot for its second straight Cup on Tuesday night in Game 6, but fell 2-1 in Pittsburgh. The Red Wings have one more chance to secure it, and they will try at home where they are 11-1 in the playoffs -- 3-0 in this series.

"It's no different," said Osgood, 15-7 with a 2.00 goals-against average in the playoffs. "Game 7 is just another game to win the Cup. That was our Game 7 in Pittsburgh.

"It makes no difference if it's Game 4, 5, 6, or 7. If you can win the Cup, you've got the exact same type of game. The only difference is they have a chance now, too."

That depends on whom you ask.
The home team won each of the first six games. The Penguins went 1-2 at Joe Louis Arena in last year's finals and have been outscored 11-2 in three losses in this series.

Given the chance to practice in Detroit on Thursday, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma decided the upside wasn't enough to sacrifice another day at home. The Penguins skated one last time in Pittsburgh before flying to Detroit.

"I didn't think a seventh time or an eighth time ... was going to show us one thing about the boards that we didn't already know," Bylsma said. "I thought staying home would give us a better chance to be more focused and more prepared in our routine."

Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby has been bottled up by forward Henrik Zetterberg, who hits the ice pretty much every time Crosby does, and hasn't scored a goal in six finals games in Detroit.

Crosby and teammate Evgeni Malkin, who led the NHL with 113 points in the regular season, went pointless in the Game 6 win. That was Pittsburgh's first postseason victory since the dynamic duo joined the team in which neither star got on the score sheet.

The Penguins can't expect to dethrone the Red Wings in Detroit if Crosby and Malkin are blanked again.

"I'd always like to score more," said Crosby, who has a goal and two assists in the series. "I look back, and on some of the chances I've had just didn't really get a whole lot of luck. Now is not the time to think about what could have been. The only way I'm looking at here is it's a great opportunity, and I've got to try to go out there and play my best game in the playoffs.

"No matter what's happened before, whether I had one goal or 10, doesn't really matter."

History strongly favors the Red Wings heading into the final game of the season.

Home teams are 12-2 in championship Game 7s and have won 80 of the 128 playoff series that have gone the distance (62.5 percent).

While the Red Wings have a wealth of overall experience and lots of practice in hoisting the Cup, compared to the Penguins -- whose championships came well before this group was in Pittsburgh -- they haven't played a finals Game 7 with Detroit.

Defenseman Brian Rafalski, a Michigan native, went through it twice with New Jersey. He was on the short end in 2001 against Colorado, and came out on top two years later against Anaheim, which was coached by current Red Wings bench boss Mike Babc0ck.

The Red Wings are 12-7 overall in Game 7s, but haven't played one in the finals since 1964 and haven't hosted a decisive game with the Cup on the line since 1955 -- a 3-1 victory over Montreal.

"I am sure there will be some butterflies early on, especially here in the room before you hit the ice," captain Lidstrom said. "Once you start playing, you are so focused on what you have to do and your assignments out there. I think that will go away."

Ruslan Fedotenko is hardly a star for the Penguins, but his voice carries a little farther these days. In 2004, Fedotenko scored both goals for Tampa Bay in Game 7 and helped the Lightning complete a comeback from a 3-2 series deficit against Calgary and win the Stanley Cup.

Pittsburgh is trying to repeat the feat.

"I will have my moment, and I will talk to the team before the game," Fedotenko said. "We won at home. We forced Game 7, and it gave us the opportunity to play for the Cup, gave us a chance to win. Right now we'll take that.

"We've been successful in probably the first 10 minutes in each game. I feel like we've come out pretty strong ... but I feel like we need to find a way to put in 60 minutes of that. I'm sure if we do that, we'll have a chance to win."

That opportunity was lost in Game 5 when the series was tied 2-2. The Penguins started well, but failed to score on an early power play. That was the jump that propelled the Red Wings to the 5-0 victory that put them one win away from their 12th Stanley Cup title.

That is the only game in the series decided by more than two goals.

"We wanted to finish them off early, but the two teams have been so even and playing so well at home that there haven't been big differences between the two teams," Lidstrom said. "In a way it might be fitting that the top two teams are playing a Game 7."

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Go Wings!

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well Pragues knows who I'm cheering for.

- Unknown Author

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

voted for the Wings, let's get this over already and get to the real exciting stuff, the off season and the draft.

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

SensFan71 wrote:voted for the Wings, let's get this over already and get to the real exciting stuff, the off season and the draft.

I agree SF71. Can we get to the draft and trades already!! Wings will win tonight.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I have been so off on my predictions on this goddamned playoffs, the big Red machine is the only team I predicted to win that is doing what it's told!

Go Wings, but shame on them for letting Pittsburgh even get a sniff!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'll say it again... tonight will be a shoot-out! 8-7 Wings in OT with Hossa netting the winner.

Heh heh.

It could happen...

Wink

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

ElliottRules wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:voted for the Wings, let's get this over already and get to the real exciting stuff, the off season and the draft.

I agree SF71. Can we get to the draft and trades already!! Wings will win tonight.

unfortunately we still have the awards show to suffer through yet, and its not even in Toronto, Bettman must have had something to do with that. 🇬🇬

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You can tag along with me and predict the Pens while you still can haha. If I'm right I look pretty darn good. I know I know it's beyond a long shot but there's still hope.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:
ElliottRules wrote:

unfortunately we still have the awards show to suffer through yet, and its not even in Toronto, Bettman must have had something to do with that. 🇬🇬
Vegas baby, Vegas!

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
ElliottRules wrote:

Vegas baby, Vegas!

what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, wonder if Pronger is going, his wife might not like that Laughing3

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hear, hear!

In this order:

1. Heatley trade
2. Draft
3. Sens development camp
4. Hockey Canada (jr) development camp
5. Training camp
6. Pre-season
7. Season openers (at home and abroad)

As Shabbs would say, get those beers on ice.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Well Pragues knows who I'm cheering for.

You're cheering for a triple-OT victory, with with Malkin dipsy-doodling around Hossa for the winner.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:

Hear, hear!

In this order:

1. Heatley trade
2. Draft
3. Sens development camp
4. Hockey Canada (jr) development camp
5. Training camp
6. Pre-season
7. Season openers (at home and abroad)

As Shabbs would say, get those beers on ice.
Heh. Heatley's $4M bonus may cause an issue with a trade before July 1st...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SensFan71 wrote:
ElliottRules wrote:

I have *never* ever watched one of those. What's the point?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 11]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum