GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rumoured NYR/Leafs trade involving Redden

+3
shabbs
PTFlea
wprager
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rumoured NYR/Leafs trade involving Redden Empty Rumoured NYR/Leafs trade involving Redden Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:27 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just read over on HTR, apprently Darren Dreger mentioned, om air, of a possible trade proposed by Sather to Burke:

Redden, Dubinsky, Staal for Kaberle, Stralman and this year's 1st rounder (7th overall).

Could this be even remotely real? Wouldn't they be better off burying him in the minors?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You know who wins this trade, right?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sather can propose whatever he wants.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just a week ago (June 3rd) Dreger was asked in a chat of the Rangers' chances of getting rid of Redden's contract:

Pavel in Toronto: Do the Rangers have any chance of ridding themselves of those awful contracts for Wade Redden, Chris Drury, or Scott Gomez? Will they have any money to keep Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Lauri Korpikoski, Nik Zherdev, or Nik Antropov?

Darren Dreger: Hi Pavel. Well, Markus Naslund’s retirement helps a lot. Callahan and Dubinsky are priority signings and both would have been considered, and may still be considered prime offer sheet targets. However, I can’t see the Rangers walking away from either and they do have more flexibility now to extend both young players contracts. As for unloading, Redden, Drury or Gomez...the only way one of those players gets traded is if there is a team in a similar situation willing to swap contracts.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11893

Nothing in his reply even remotely smells of the trade he is allegedly hearing about. Toronto is *not* in a similar situation and the proposed trade is nothing like a contract swap.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Just read over on HTR, apprently Darren Dreger mentioned, om air, of a possible trade proposed by Sather to Burke:

Redden, Dubinsky, Staal for Kaberle, Stralman and this year's 1st rounder (7th overall).

Could this be even remotely real? Wouldn't they be better off burying him in the minors?

Not really. They are in such cap trouble this is the type of desperation move they pretty much have to do. The Leafs could more easily digest burying Redden in the minors too.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This was rumoured a little while ago I think, there's no way this goes through. Who wants to be saddled with a 6.5 million dollar albatross for 5 more years? Even if the Leafs poo money, they won't want to eat that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:You know who wins this trade, right?

Wade, hands down. He gets yet another fresh start.

Kaberle (and his contract) would be an upgrade over Redden, although Kaberle certainly has not been producing as well since that hit (plus losing his buddy McCabe didn't help his stats). Bu then Sather would also lose Staal and Dubinsky -- sure, the 7th would replace one of those two in a couple of years, but they are not in a rebuild -- they need those two now.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If this goes through, Sather should be shot for diddling things up so badly. Redden is useless as ta tas on a bowl, Staal and Dubinsky are awesome.

Way to go champ! Facepalm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:This was rumoured a little while ago I think, there's no way this goes through. Who wants to be saddled with a 6.5 million dollar albatross for 5 more years? Even if the Leafs poo money, they won't want to eat that.

Burkes needs to pay for the check he wrote with his ego and mouth. 6.5 million should just about cover it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:If this goes through, Sather should be shot for diddling things up so badly. Redden is useless as ta tas on a bowl, Staal and Dubinsky are awesome.

Way to go champ! Facepalm

Hold on a second. He gives up a still-to-be-proven 2nd line center (frankly, I am not yet convinced) and a good up-and-coming defenseman. He gets back $6.5M cap relief, an upgrade (over Redden) on defense, and a 7th overall pick in a deep draft. I don't know much about Stralman, so he sounds a bit of a throw-in.

I'm not saying Sather would be the hands-down winner, but I'd say he *would be* the winner in this trade.

He'd still deserve to be "shot" for signing Wade in the first place.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

would burke really let Sather pull the wool over his eyes this much, or does Sather have something on Burke?

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

The way I see this trade is Dubinsky and Staal for the 7th overall. Which I think is a fairly good trade. Never mind the other stuff...both teams want as little to do as possible with their respective defensemen (Redden and Kaberle). Plus, the only team with deeper pockets than the Rangers is the Leafs. Worst comes to worst, they buy out Redden, or waive him to play in the AHL, at which point he gladly refuses and everyone goes home happy.

PKC wrote:The way I see this trade is Dubinsky and Staal for the 7th overall. Which I think is a fairly good trade. Never mind the other stuff...both teams want as little to do as possible with their respective defensemen (Redden and Kaberle). Plus, the only team with deeper pockets than the Rangers is the Leafs. Worst comes to worst, they buy out Redden, or waive him to play in the AHL, at which point he gladly refuses and everyone goes home happy.

confused

How does this trade possibly brake down that way? Dubinsky and Staal for the 7th overall is a HORRENDOUS trade. And you can't seperate Redden from Dubinsky and Staal because they are the entire reason why any team would want to take him...

I also have no idea where you got this notion that Toronto wants nothing to do with Kaberle. Thats fiction... and random fiction, at that. Kaberle is still a great defenseman and if he wants to stay in Toronto, Burke may very well oblige.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Kaberle is playing better than Redden, for much less money, and for a much shorter contract duration. The deal would make more sense with Kaberle *out* of it. Then it would be a favorable trade for Toronto.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Maybe take out Toronto's 1st, and put in NYR's first going the other way...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum