GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next for the Dallas Stars?

+7
Phoenix30
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
wprager
PTFlea
shabbs
davetherave
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31What's Next for the Dallas Stars? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Dallas Stars? Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:00 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, Nolan and Laviolette are good choices as well.

32What's Next for the Dallas Stars? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Dallas Stars? Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:04 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
who else out there is better? just wondering because I don't actually know which coaches are without jobs?

Dave Tippett? They had him and fired him for Crawford? I don't understand, I really don't.

The article posted above offers an explanation.

Sometimes NHL coaches get fired simply because it's time for a change.

Nieuwendyk certainly has the credentials and experience to make an informed decision on who he wants behind the bench.

How the Stars do next year will prove him right or wrong.

33What's Next for the Dallas Stars? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Dallas Stars? Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:14 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

The view from Dallas:

DALLAS STARS HOPING NEW COACH'S STYLE WILL GRAB ATTENTION OF TEAM
Mike Heika, The Dallas Morning News, June 13, 2009

Trevor Daley watched Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals on Friday and was envious.

"You watch it, and you just want to be there," the Stars defenseman said. "It's everything you work for. It just gets you burning to start the season already."

As much as new general manager Joe Nieuwendyk and Stars management are hoping to pump up the motivation with new coach Marc Crawford, players say they don't need much of a push. Many are already working out in Frisco or playing pickup games.

After missing the playoffs for only the third time since moving to Dallas in 1993, the Stars say they have received a good, hard slap in the face.

"It's killing me, to tell you the truth," winger Steve Ott said. "This is not something we're used to around here."

If the players already seem to be taking things hard after missing the playoffs, why the need to change the GM and the coach?

Owner Tom Hicks said he wanted to give a reminder that the Stars expect to be one of the best teams in the NHL every year. Nieuwendyk also said it's good to shake up the team and get its attention.

Crawford will probably do just that. He demands a lot from players, and he doesn't mind having them compete for positions and ice time. The change of coaches puts everyone on his toes.

"When you think about it, [Dave Tippett] is the only coach a lot of us have known here," Ott said. "There was a comfort level with him, an expectation that you knew where you stood. Now, honestly, that's gone. We're all at step one, and we all have to prove ourselves all over again."

Crawford said he's encouraged to see players already trying to prove themselves to one another.

"The players will dictate what kind of coach I am," he said. "They're the ones who usually decide whether you are a players' coach or a disciplinarian. What you strive for is to have it come from inside your room. In my experience, that's what the championship teams have."

Getting in position for a faster start next season will be a chief goal for Crawford and the Stars.

Asked to explain the Stars' poor training camp and poor start last season, Daley said it was tough to pin down just one or two reasons. But, he said, he already can see a difference in the team's attitude in summer workouts.
"It is different," he said. "Last year, we were probably a little happy. This year, there is no satisfaction."

The Stars have some things in order already as they look toward next season.

They have 18 players under contract, including most of those who put in big minutes last season. In addition, Brenden Morrow (knee surgery) and Brad Richards (hand and wrist injuries) should be ready to go.

Nieuwendyk has to decide if he wants to sign veterans Sergei Zubov and Jere Lehtinen, who have battled injuries the last two seasons, and he probably needs to acquire a backup goalie and a high-level defenseman. But the Stars appear to be in good shape.

"There's some work here, but I don't think it's major work," Nieuwendyk said. "Honestly, if we had to start with the group we have right now and we were healthy, I think we could be very competitive."

Morrow agreed.

"We're a good team," he said. "I feel very good about this team."

34What's Next for the Dallas Stars? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Dallas Stars? Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:53 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN's Hradek and Puck Prospectus' Rothstein suggest how the Stars can stop their their fall, and rise again.

STRONGER STOPPER WOULD HELP STARS
Prospectus is buying Biron, Hradek makes a 'Monster' pitch

EJ Hradek, Andrew Rothstein/ESPN INSIDER, June 23, 2009

Plugging Holes - Dallas Stars
What's Next for the Dallas Stars? - Page 3 Dal
The Hole: Goaltender

The Dallas Stars had the second least productive goaltending group, with a staggering -25.7 goaltending
GVT. The Stars starting goaltender, Marty Turco, also finished last on the team in total GVT, with -9.3. Interestingly enough, Dallas was comfortably above average in the other two even-strength categories in which the offense produced a 6.7 GVT and the defense produced a 11.1 GVT.

The Fix: Sign G
Martin Biron (UFA, Flyers)

Biron's 14.3 GVT would be a huge improvement over Turco's -9.3 GVT and furthermore, because 25-year-old Tobias Stephan is a restricted free agent, the Stars don't have any future superstars waiting in the wings to mind the net. Above average goaltending could swing Dallas' team GVT by at least 20 points, and would put it in contention for the fifth or sixth spot in the West. Despite all of the great potential improvements that the other Pacific division teams could make in the long-term, this signing would have the greatest impact in the short-term.

E.J.'s Take: There's no doubt Turco had a down year in 2008-09. His subpar play was among the many reasons the Stars fell dramatically in the standings. The 33-year-old stopper, who led his team to the Western Conference final in '08, has one year remaining on a contract that pays him an average annual salary of $5.4 million.

I get the sense they'll keep Turco and seek a stronger back-up for the 2009-10 season. In fact, the Stars are among a group of four teams that would like to sign 24-year-old Swedish League star Jonas Gustavsson. I figure both sides might benefit from such a move. The Stars get a talented back-up, who would be positioned to replace Turco, while Gustavsson gets to make a less pressurized entrance into the NHL.

I don't see the Stars making a free-agent pitch for Biron. They would have to first trade Turco, who has a no-trade clause in his current deal. Then, they would still have to find a capable No. 2 to work behind Biron. For me, Gustavsson makes much more sense.

---

Andrew Rothstein is a writer for Puck Prospectus. E.J. Hradek is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

Note: A mainstay of Puck Prospectus's metrics is "Goals Versus Threshold" (GVT). The stat blends an array of offensive and defensive figures to measure the value, in terms of goals, a player contributes above what the marginal player would over the course of the season. A marginal player is one that could be replaced with a player of equivalent skill, e.g. from the minors. For instance, Evgeni Malkin had an offensive GVT of +18.9, a defensive GVT of +4.5 and a total GVT of +23.4 for the 2008-9 regular season, meaning that Malkin was worth 23.4 goals more than a marginal player over the course of the season, or worth about 0.3 additional goals per game. In the team context, GVT refers to performance above an NHL average team. For the regular season, the Detroit Red Wings had a +30.8 offensive GVT, a +15.1 defensive GVT, a -21.5 goaltending GVT, for a +24.4 total GVT. Therefore, at even strength, Detroit was 24.4 goals better than the average team.

35What's Next for the Dallas Stars? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Dallas Stars? Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:20 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Don't know much about Glennie...but Norman Flynn at RDS says he will compliment Ribeiro...they see him as a power on offense.

36What's Next for the Dallas Stars? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Dallas Stars? Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:20 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Nieuwendyk locks up Lehtinen...from the Stars' official release today:

FRISCO, Tex. – Dallas Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk announced today that the club has re-signed right wing Jere Lehtinen to a one-year contract for the 2009-10 season. His deal includes a $1.5 million base salary, and as much as $1 million more in incentives.

“We are extremely pleased to welcome Jere Lehtinen back with our club next season,” said Nieuwendyk. “He has been one of the cornerstones of this franchise for many years, and we feel he will continue to be a significant contributor going forward. Jere is a consummate professional on and off the ice, and we look forward to his healthy return next season.”

37What's Next for the Dallas Stars? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Dallas Stars? Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:14 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

He's big...he's bald...he's Alex Auld!

Alex extinguished the Flames last night with a very impressive performance in the Saddledome. Maybe Marty Turco has some competition this year.

From ESPN:

CALGARY, Alberta -- Alex Auld had a lot of fun in his Dallas Stars debut -- at the expense of the Calgary Flames.

Auld made 21 saves to help the Stars beat the Flames 5-2 on Friday for their first victory of the season. Mike Ribeiro, Brian Sutherby, Tom Wandell, Loui Eriksson and Brad Richards scored for Dallas, coming off season-opening shootout losses to Nashville and Edmonton with Marty Turco in goal.

"I just wanted to make a good impression and the guys did a great job making my job pretty easy, scoring goals early," Auld said. "And every time [Calgary] seemed to get one, we answered right back."

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=291009003

Auld looked pretty confident as he smoked The Cowtown Crew.

38What's Next for the Dallas Stars? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Dallas Stars? Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:16 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:He's big...he's bald...he's Alex Auld!

Alex extinguished the Flames last night with a very impressive performance in the Saddledome. Maybe Marty Turco has some competition this year.

From ESPN:

CALGARY, Alberta -- Alex Auld had a lot of fun in his Dallas Stars debut -- at the expense of the Calgary Flames.

Auld made 21 saves to help the Stars beat the Flames 5-2 on Friday for their first victory of the season. Mike Ribeiro, Brian Sutherby, Tom Wandell, Loui Eriksson and Brad Richards scored for Dallas, coming off season-opening shootout losses to Nashville and Edmonton with Marty Turco in goal.

"I just wanted to make a good impression and the guys did a great job making my job pretty easy, scoring goals early," Auld said. "And every time [Calgary] seemed to get one, we answered right back."

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=291009003

Auld looked pretty confident as he smoked The Cowtown Crew.

The whole time I was watching that game last night, I was thinking "Auld is the goalie the Flames should have targeted." Some unknown, underperforming kid is not the guy that team needs to relieve Kipper -- who'll probably end up having to play 70+ games yet again this year. I just don't understand the logic here.

Anyway, yeah, Auld was a great pick up for the Stars. DAL is going to be a much better team this year.

39What's Next for the Dallas Stars? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Dallas Stars? Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:45 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I only have good things to say about Auld and I wish him nothing but the best of luck. Don't ask me what I wish for Heatley though Wink

40What's Next for the Dallas Stars? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Dallas Stars? Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:13 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

TheAvatar wrote:I only have good things to say about Auld and I wish him nothing but the best of luck. Don't ask me what I wish for Heatley though What's Next for the Dallas Stars? - Page 3 Icon_wink

A 60+ goal season this year? What's Next for the Dallas Stars? - Page 3 455378

Seriously, he looked amazing the other night against CLB -- like Heatley of 2006-07 after Spezza went down. It was not a case of Thornton making him look good either. He was doing the work himself -- battling down low and making his way to the net.

41What's Next for the Dallas Stars? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Dallas Stars? Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:23 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I miss that guy; haven't seen him in 3 years

42What's Next for the Dallas Stars? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Dallas Stars? Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:08 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Love Auld, wish him nothing but the best.

I think he's gonna steal the starting job from Turco before January.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum