GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Holik retires

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Holik retires Empty Holik retires Tue May 26, 2009 3:16 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

"I'm done. I'm retiring," Holik told the Post from his home in
Wyoming. "I miss being with my family every day. I knew when the season
ended, but I wanted to leave and get home first, and not make a big
deal of it. "A player is what I was. Now I'm a husband and a father."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4202153&campaign=rss&source=NHLHeadlines

2Holik retires Empty Re: Holik retires Tue May 26, 2009 3:18 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

I really figured this guy would have given it a few more kicks at the can, but good on him for knowing when to walk away, now if Chelios would just retire, sheesh.

3Holik retires Empty Re: Holik retires Tue May 26, 2009 4:33 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

good on him if he wants to be with his family good for him for recognizing hockey isnt everything and know whats important

4Holik retires Empty Re: Holik retires Tue May 26, 2009 4:40 pm

I dont think there is a worse player to make the kind of money he did in his NHL career. Looking back on his contracts (plus the buyout) Im just shocked he made what he did... I love it haha.

Good career, over rated though, left with a couple cups and more cash than anyone can imagine.

5Holik retires Empty Re: Holik retires Tue May 26, 2009 5:00 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:I dont think there is a worse player to make the kind of money he did in his NHL career. Looking back on his contracts (plus the buyout) Im just shocked he made what he did... I love it haha.

Good career, over rated though, left with a couple cups and more cash than anyone can imagine.

Wow. Did you read Dobber the other day, or is there an echo in the room?

"Bobby Holik is retiring. His career high was 65 points, but he was one of the bigger fantasy hockey teases out there. He had seasons of 62, 65 and 64 points on the defensive juggernaut New Jersey Devils of the mid-90s and then he signed a huge contract with the Rangers - leading many of us to believe he would explode to 70 points or more, now that he was out of that stifling system. He beat 35 points just one more time after that. I admire his brilliance and if I ever have a hockey playing son - I would seek out Holik's agent to represent him. Millions and millions of dollars for mediocrity. He was bought out by the Rangers (for millions) and then signed (for more millions) with Atlanta! And then...the Devils were still willing to pay him $2.5 million. And you had to think that the best they could hope for from him this past season was 75 games and 35 points. At best. Now he knows that getting millions is out of the question, so he retires. Holik - you (and your agent) are the master. Go enjoy life sleeping on a big pile of money with many beautiful women."

http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/1976/1/

6Holik retires Empty Re: Holik retires Tue May 26, 2009 5:13 pm

Another guy retiring for all the right reasons.

7Holik retires Empty Re: Holik retires Tue May 26, 2009 5:20 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:I dont think there is a worse player to make the kind of money he did in his NHL career. Looking back on his contracts (plus the buyout) Im just shocked he made what he did... I love it haha.

Wow. Did you read Dobber the other day, or is there an echo in the room?

"Bobby Holik is retiring. His career high was 65 points, but he was one of the bigger fantasy hockey teases out there. He had seasons of 62, 65 and 64 points on the defensive juggernaut New Jersey Devils of the mid-90s and then he signed a huge contract with the Rangers - leading many of us to believe he would explode to 70 points or more, now that he was out of that stifling system. He beat 35 points just one more time after that. I admire his brilliance and if I ever have a hockey playing son - I would seek out Holik's agent to represent him. Millions and millions of dollars for mediocrity. He was bought out by the Rangers (for millions) and then signed (for more millions) with Atlanta! And then...the Devils were still willing to pay him $2.5 million. And you had to think that the best they could hope for from him this past season was 75 games and 35 points. At best. Now he knows that getting millions is out of the question, so he retires. Holik - you (and your agent) are the master. Go enjoy life sleeping on a big pile of money with many beautiful women."

[url=http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/1976/1/
http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/1976/1/[/quote[/url]]

I'll be 100% honest, haha, I hardly ever read anyone elses opinions or articles short of the game story. Most writters have never put on a pair of skates.

He's 100% right though, haha, he made more than double the money he ever should have in the NHL. If I had to guess he made more than a lot of super stars came close to. I'll throw Yzerman out there, standing to be corrected though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum