GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Roy meets with Avalanche president

+9
davetherave
PTFlea
beedub
SensFan71
SeawaySensFan
Hockeyhero22000
SensGirl11
shabbs
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Roy meets with Avalanche president Empty Roy meets with Avalanche president Fri May 08, 2009 1:22 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=277980

Meeting to discuss a position with the team. Head coach?

2Roy meets with Avalanche president Empty Re: Roy meets with Avalanche president Fri May 08, 2009 1:23 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Goalie?

3Roy meets with Avalanche president Empty Re: Roy meets with Avalanche president Fri May 08, 2009 1:24 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Just joking.

4Roy meets with Avalanche president Empty Re: Roy meets with Avalanche president Fri May 08, 2009 1:26 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I would stay FAR AWAY from him.

5Roy meets with Avalanche president Empty Re: Roy meets with Avalanche president Fri May 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

he would be a good coach as long as he could keep his cool because he did run into problems in the QMJHL

6Roy meets with Avalanche president Empty Re: Roy meets with Avalanche president Fri May 08, 2009 1:33 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If Lacroix wants to hire Roy because he wants another puppet, he has another thing coming.

7Roy meets with Avalanche president Empty Re: Roy meets with Avalanche president Fri May 08, 2009 1:39 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:he would be a good coach as long as he could keep his cool because he did run into problems in the QMJHL

That's the thing, I don't know if Roy knows the definition of cool.

I think he'd be a disaster in the NHL and give Colorado a bad name.

8Roy meets with Avalanche president Empty Re: Roy meets with Avalanche president Fri May 08, 2009 1:42 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:he would be a good coach as long as he could keep his cool because he did run into problems in the QMJHL

I heard too that Colorado interviewed McGuire for their GM (yes that McGuire), could you imagine that joke fest running your team, yeah I agree Roy is a great coach, just a loud mouth, and McGuire is a loud mouth. talk about instant embarrassment to the franchise.

9Roy meets with Avalanche president Empty Re: Roy meets with Avalanche president Fri May 08, 2009 1:46 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

They could always trade for Avery to take the heat off the coach.

10Roy meets with Avalanche president Empty Re: Roy meets with Avalanche president Fri May 08, 2009 1:47 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SensFan71 wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:

I heard too that Colorado interviewed McGuire for their GM (yes that McGuire), could you imagine that joke fest running your team, yeah I agree Roy is a great coach, just a loud mouth, and McGuire is a loud mouth. talk about instant embarrassment to the franchise.

Goodness gracious! I couldn't imagine McGuire running any NHL team. He does have great hockey knowledge though, but I don't think he'd have anyone's respect. He's becoming more and more of a joke.

11Roy meets with Avalanche president Empty Re: Roy meets with Avalanche president Fri May 08, 2009 1:52 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

i hope mcguire does become a gm then we dont have to hear him on tsn and that make tsn broadcasts that much better

12Roy meets with Avalanche president Empty Re: Roy meets with Avalanche president Fri May 08, 2009 1:54 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

^ Very true. He's really starting to get under my skin.

13Roy meets with Avalanche president Empty Re: Roy meets with Avalanche president Fri May 08, 2009 3:47 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Last time I checked, you want a GM to have some knowledge about the players, and about the game.

Admittedly, McGuire takes some odd positions on different topics, but it canbe argued that he does have the respect of a lot of hockey people around the league.

Hate him or love him as an announcer for TSN, he does know his hockey. I would have to think that his penchant for fawning over players like Ovechkin would have to be dialed back, considering he won't have many superstars in Minny or Colorado

as far as him as a broadcaster, you have to realize he seems a bit zany on purpose. it's all about ratings, baby. Who's going to want to watch a guy comparable to Bueller's teacher ( Bueller, Bueller, anyone? anyone?)

I'll bet even the haters watch his clips, even if it can be compared to watching a car crash sometimes. That's viewership. That's why he has held that spot for quite a while.

14Roy meets with Avalanche president Empty Re: Roy meets with Avalanche president Fri May 08, 2009 3:49 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Now as for Patty for Head Coach..... IMO, the jury is out on that one. He brings intensity and passion, you just have to watch the job he did with the Remparts to see that. He obviously has extensive hockey knowledge, even beyond the goaltender position.

And who wouldn't want to play for Patrick Roy.

I say, go for it

15Roy meets with Avalanche president Empty Re: Roy meets with Avalanche president Fri May 08, 2009 3:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This is all so sad IMO. This was once one of the most feared and powerful franchises, and now they can't even hire a good GM. They go back to Granato when it was obvious they needed a real coach, now they'll go with Roy as GM or coach? He has experience where, in the Q? Not good enough.

Very sad stare of affairs. And they have the players to start turning this around, especially with Duchene set to join the organization.

First: they need a real GM, who has his fingers on the pulse of the league.

Second: they need an experienced coach who can get the most out of both his youngsters and his vets. Quinn would be a nice choice.

Third: they need a goaltender capable of starting in the NHL. No Budaj rubbish, no Raycroft rubbish. Get someone good, pay what you have to pay, but get a good goaltender. Forget Emery, go for one of the high priced guys. Make a substantial offer for Vokoun, Giguere - whoever you can lay your hands on. Use Hejduk as bait, who knows, but do it.

Do these three steps and I think they can potentially make the playoffs next year. Go the cheap, stupid, no experience route and you're gonna be picking top 5 again next year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum