GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins, Friday, May 8, 2009, 7pm ET

+8
SeawaySensFan
Hockeyhero22000
wprager
SensGirl11
SensFan71
Cronie
shabbs
davetherave
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Cronie wrote:Personally, while this is an entertaining series of sorts, the officiating in both this series and especially the Hawks/Canucks is anything short of deplorable...

I wonder how much worse can it get?

I'm confused. Did you mean to say "nothing short of deplorable"? The way it's written it's anything but clear.

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Cronie wrote:Personally, while this is an entertaining series of sorts, the officiating in both this series and especially the Hawks/Canucks is anything short of deplorable...

I'm confused. Did you mean to say "nothing short of deplorable"? The way it's written it's anything but clear.

HAHA! Need more caffeine.

Yeah, I meant NOTHING short of... My bad...

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Light's out USA... Sad

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cronie wrote:
wprager wrote:

HAHA! Need more caffeine.

Yeah, I meant NOTHING short of... My bad...

OK, now that I know you think it was bad, do you think they were favoring a particular team? 'Cause I've heard both sides complaining.

According to Pierre it's been better than he remembers it from the old days. He's the same age as I am. Either one of us is suffering from some long-term memory loss or he's toeing the company line (and he's not even employed yet by the league or any of its teams).

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

To me, it seemed like the calls were DEFINITELY going the Pens way.

Also, in terms of last night's game (Hawks-Canucks) the refs missed 3 blatant too many men calls against the Hawks, not to mention in my view, with the exception of Mitchell's brain cramp, the Hawks did NOT deserve that win, but onto game #5.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Go Pens! I need this to stay in the hunt in the bracket pool. I picked Bruins, Pens, Wings and Whales (they have a killer whale on one of their logos, right?) Up until last night's game I was in trouble on three of those. Now I'm a little better, but I need this one. As much as I love Ovechkin.

What's the latest on the bracket pool BTW?

(Not that I could be in any way contending, being as terrible with predictions as I am at poker LOL)

PS the Canucks logo is a lozenge...or a fish stuck on the end of a boomerang...or some guy with a tuque. WhatEVER.

Wink

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

the pens had done a large amount of whining about missed calls prior to game three(what do you expect from a team captained by Crysby) so the refs were trying to make the pens happy now i wouldnt be surprised after the caps compalining to see the calls even or lopsided to the caps

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

davetherave wrote:Will Geno be SuperGeno again tonight? Yes, I do believe he will be.

Who will win the Sid Vs Ovie match? I have to say it will be a tie.

Who will the 'unsung hero' be? Jordan Staal?

Will Varly be snarly? ...Yes...

Will Marky Flower have the power? Still not sure about him..

...and...will we have another OT game??? ABSOFREAKINGLUTELY

:##:

Last edited by SensGirl11 on Fri May 08, 2009 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:
wprager wrote:Go Pens! I need this to stay in the hunt in the bracket pool. I picked Bruins, Pens, Wings and Whales (they have a killer whale on one of their logos, right?) Up until last night's game I was in trouble on three of those. Now I'm a little better, but I need this one. As much as I love Ovechkin.

(Not that I could be in any way contending, being as terrible with predictions as I am at poker LOL)

PS the Canucks logo is a lozenge...or a fish stuck on the end of a boomerang...or some guy with a tuque. WhatEVER.

Wink

Someones Hawks bias is showing

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

UPDATE from the Ottawa SUN

More in depth explanation of the ban.

PITTSBURGH - Hockey Night In Canada is getting an official freeze out by the Washington Capitals.

CBC producers were told this morning that cameras not only won’t be welcome in the team’s dressing room but the public broadcaster will not be granted between-periods interviews during tonight’s Game 4 of the Eastern Conference semi-final between the Caps and Pittsburgh Penguins.

The Caps are still upset that CBC aired footage prior to Wednesday’s Game 3 that included strategic information on the team’s dressing room “white board.”

A team official said the ban is “indefinite” and will preclude CBC reporter Elliotte Friedman from interviewing players during intermissions both tonight and for tomorrow’s Game 5 in Washington.

“They, of all people, should know better,” Caps general manager George McPhee told Sun Media on Thursday. “They shouldn’t have done it.”

McPhee refused to comment on the ban today, but acknowledged to Sun Media that it will be in effect.

CBC used the video extensively, including a studio segment with host Ron MacLean and analysts Kelly Hrudey and Mike Milbury which broke down the “keys to victory” point by point.

Caps coach Bruce Boudreau called the move “classless” and “unprofessional.”

Hockey Night executive producer Sherali Najak admitted that the network erred in using the video.

OVIE OKAY: Caps star Alex Ovechkin today shrugged off the reported death threat that was made by a Penguins fan on an internet chat board earlier this week.

“I understand he’s a big fan ... he just wanted to get me a little afraid,” Ovechkin said with his toothy grin.

Pittsburgh law officials are taking it a little more seriously, however, and are investigating the threats. There was no visible increase in security around the Russian star at today’s morning skate.

As for tonight, Ovechkin hopes he has more energy than he did in Wednesday’s 3-2 overtime loss.

“I scored the first goal which was lucky and after that I just didn’t skate,” Ovechkin said. “My legs just didn’t feel strong.”

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

nice not even letting the reporters talk to the players between periods..i think it is good on the part of the caps cbc shoudl be held responsible for doing something like that

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Less Elliotte Friedman is good business.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I'm actually surprised that they were able to take the ban that far. I didn't think it was allowed.

There must be something in the contract between the NHL and the Press that says that what they did was unacceptable and they will face these kinds of consequences if they go against them.

Which is clearly what happened here.

Wow, the CBC definitely should have known better.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Pens, Caps face back-to-back challenge

By ROB LONGLEY, SUN MEDIA

PITTSBURGH - And now for the fitness test portion of this epic series.

The Eastern Conference semi-final between the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins heads into a crucial, gruelling 24-hour stretch beginning tonight at 7 p.m. when Game 4 gets going at Mellon Arena.

By midnight Saturday, the series could be over or either team could be one win away with a 3-2 lead.

“Back-to-back games,in any way, shape or form challenge both teams, no matter who loses (the first one),” Pens captain Sidney Crosby said. “The winner is obviously going to have the momentum.

“During the season, it’s a bit of a factor sometimes. But in the playoffs, they are intense, emotional games and you have to turn the page quickly.”

After opening up a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven series by sweeping their home games, the Caps fell 3-2 in overtime here on Wednesday night. Following tonight’s contest, both teams will hop on separate charter flights for the short hop down to Washington where Game 5 will be played tomorrow night at the Verizon Center.

Obviously the players would have preferred more downtime but arena conflicts in Pittsburgh left the NHL stuck with options. Ideally, Game 4 would have been tonight, Game 5 on Sunday in Pittsburgh and Game 6 back here on Tuesday. Instead, Game 6 (if necessary) will be played Monday because the Mellon Arena is booked for a Yanni concert.

(Some have blamed CBC for pushing for a Saturday night game, but network officials say that they are not responsible for the quick turnaround.)

“I don’t think anybody wants to play back-to-back in the playoffs,” Capitals general manager George McPhee said. “These are the biggest games, and you want to see the teams at their best. These games take a lot out of the players - neither team wanted this.”

Penguins coach Dan Bylsma figures one of the big concerns is the chance for a rapid swing in momentum. “You have to let go and get right back on the horse,” Bylsma said. “It’s gonna be bang-bang, and on Sunday someone’s gonna be ahead in this series.”

As for the hockey, the Penguins will hope to match a near dominant effort on Wednesday in which they outshot the Caps, 43-24. That game saw struggling Pens star Evgeni Malkin wake up and had a near dominant performance in the 3-2 overtime win. But for the play of rookie sensation Simeon Varlamov in the Washington net, the game could have been considerably more one-sided.

“If it wasn’t for their goalie, it wouldn’t have been a one-goal game,” Pens defenceman Brooks Orpik said following this morning’s game-day skate.

The Caps realize that with Malkin seemingly back in business, there will be even more reason to focus on Penguins captain Sidney Crosby who has 14 points in eight playoff games. Crosby is second only to Anaheim’s Ryan Getzlaf (16) in playoff scoring, one ahead of his Capitals’ foil, Alex Ovechkin.

“He’s the second best player in the world, he’s the best player in the world we play against,” Boudreau said of Crosby. “So we have to pay special attention to him.”

GAME NOTES: The shoddy ice at the Mellon Arena has become an issue. Ovechkin and Boudreau complained about it following Wednesday’s Game 3 and Orpik today said “it’s the worst I’ve ever seen it and it won’t be any better after last night’s concert.”

Comedian Dane Cook was on stage last night and on Tuesday a WWE event helped contribute to the bad ice on Wednesday ...

Including the overtime period, Malkin had a whopping 29 minutes and 38 seconds ice time in Wednesday’s Game 4 ...

Ageless Cap Sergei Fedorov on playing games on back-to-back nights:

“It’s playoffs, so what the hell. You’ve got to be ready no matter what.”

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I can't believe they have to play back to back. What an intense weekend this will be.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

whoever wins tonight will have huge momentum and the extra adrenaline pumping for the game on saturday..... expect the winning g goals on saturday to be from the 3rd and 4th liners

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:

Wink

With so many series deadlocked at 2-2 the prognostications are difficult. I haven't gone in to analyze who is "missing points" (e.g. picking a team in 5, then their opponen wins 2 games, you are guaranteed not to get the 2 bonus points).

As for poker, did you hear about this reporter who went to cover an event, ended up winning a seat, and was in the thick of it for a while. Even beat out The Matador. I was reading about it in a local free paper. Now that would be cool.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Prags, sounds like you've done an outstanding job with this playoff bracket. Kudos 2 U!!!

OK...looking at tonight.

The Capitals' defense is vulnerable...they have come this far thanks to Varlamov...pure and simple.

If Crosby AND Malkin are at their best, and Semin--zero goals so far in this series--can't get his game going, the Pens have a very good chance to equalize.

Looks like a seven gamer to me...

Hopefully with OT!
:##:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum