GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins, Friday, May 8, 2009, 7pm ET

+8
SeawaySensFan
Hockeyhero22000
wprager
SensGirl11
SensFan71
Cronie
shabbs
davetherave
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins, Friday, May 8, 2009, 7pm ET WasWashington at GAME OF THE NIGHT: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins, Friday, May 8, 2009, 7pm ET PitPittsburgh

GAME FOUR, STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS EAST SEMIFINAL
CAPITALS LEAD SERIES 2-1

7:00 PM ET, May 8, 2009
Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

CBC/RDS/Versus

Capitals-Penguins Preview

PITTSBURGH (AP/ESPN) -- The Washington Capitals probably knew deep down they wouldn't win both games in Pittsburgh.

That would have been too much to ask, to shut down Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin for two nights on their home ice with the Penguins' season hanging on every shift.

Now that they've lost one -- a 3-2 overtime defeat in Game 3 -- the Capitals have put themselves in danger of losing two. Of making it a brand new series.

Of reviving those bad old days of previous series squandered to Pittsburgh, long before Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and Simeon Varlamov wore Washington jerseys.

Win Game 4 on Friday night, and these Capitals won't have to hear about some of the worst moments in franchise history. They'll be up 3-1, with as many as three chances to close out the series and advance to the conference finals.

Lose, however, and the Capitals will find themselves opposing not only the determined Penguins, but those haunting memories of all those past Washington teams that were positioned to knock out Pittsburgh but couldn't do it.

1992: Caps up 2-0, Penguins win 4-3. 1995: Caps up 3-1, Penguins win 4-3. 1996: Caps up 2-0, Penguins win 4-2.

Here we go again? Game 4 will determine that.

"One goal, one shot," coach Bruce Boudreau said Thursday, referring to how close the Capitals are to being up 3-0.

But they're not. An energized Evgeni Malkin, barely noticeable in the first two games, and a 7-2 power plays advantage that kept Ovechkin out of the offense for long stretches revived the Penguins on Wednesday night. Pittsburgh is convinced it has the better team, despite Washington's series lead.

"I think we've out-chanced them over the three games," Crosby said, referring to Pittsburgh edges of 114-82 in shots and 17-9 in power plays. "It doesn't matter, because we're down 2-1. But the belief in what we need to do is there, and we're seeing some good results. We're confident if we play this way, we're going to give ourselves a good chance."

The Capitals' response: We're up, not them.

"They can think what they want to think," Boudreau said. "It's not about (outplaying a team) ... it's about scoring at the right time, it's about making the big save, it's about coming through in the clutch. ... I'd much rather be where I am right now than where they are."

What perplexed the Capitals was the huge disparity in power plays, which robbed Washington of the momentum it generated while taking a 1-0 lead in the first period and controlling the first 10 minutes.

Ovechkin, dominant in the first two games with four goals, scored with less than two minutes gone but mostly lacked the open ice and numerous scoring chances he had in Washington.

"It seems like he maybe didn't have as much time with the puck, (someone) was always watching him, around him, so that's a big help when he doesn't have that time," Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury said.

While Malkin scored only once, a go-ahead goal in the third period, he was an Ovechkin-like force with nine shots. Malkin, the NHL scoring champion, also flashed a physical side by running over Varlamov, the rookie goalie who gave up three goals but probably couldn't have played much better while making 39 saves.

"I don't think he was bad the first two games, they (Malkin's shots) just didn't end up in the net," said Kris Letang, whose first career playoff goal won it at 11:23 of overtime. "He was a totally different player. He's always going to put a lot of pressure on himself, Sid does the same thing, and that's why these guys are so good."

Ovechkin understands the Capitals need him on offense more to win Game 4.

"We do have to play better and play differently," he said. "We had only six scoring chances, and it was all about the first period. We can't play like that, it's not our game. We had too many penalties, and we can't take too many penalties. It's better to play offensively than to play defensively."

No doubt it would help the Capitals if Semin experiences a Malkin-like resurgence in Game 4. Semin had 34 goals and 79 points during the season, but has no goals and is a minus-2 in the series.

"Still, we didn't play our best game (in Game 3), and we went to overtime. It shows a lot and means a lot to us," Ovechkin said. "Tomorrow (Friday) is going to be a different game, it's going to be a better game for us, for sure."

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Will Geno be SuperGeno again tonight?

Who will win the Sid Vs Ovie match?

Who will the 'unsung hero' be?

Will Varly be snarly?

Will Marky Flower have the power?

...and...will we have another OT game???

:##:

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Geno will fade tonight. Caps take this one. Ovie will be the hero.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Temperature on the rise in Pittsburgh

Overtime winner has turned this into a series

Bruce Arthur, National Post in Pittsburgh/May 8, 2009

Thank goodness for that patch of lousy ice.

Thank goodness for the ice that Bruce Boudreau called "sticky" and Alexander Ovechkin called "just a mess" and which, according to the Washington Capitals star, was about the only thing keeping his team from taking a 3-0 series lead over the Pittsburgh Penguins the other night.

"In overtime, ice was just a mess, pucks just bouncing and stuff," Ovechkin said, a touch grumpily, after his team's 3-2 overtime loss Wednesday. "We have three-on-two, [Hal] Gill goes down and I have probably 100% chance to score goal. But puck just stopped moving."

Good thing, too.

Because that particular puck stopped moving, what could have been a blowout is now a series, and one whose temperature is rising.

We are being treated to complaining about the referees, occasional speculation about illegal sticks, and two young and thrilling teams that have played three fast and thrilling games.

The worst thing that could have happened for hockey, barring a collapse of the Mellon Arena roof or a lifetime lease for the Phoenix Coyotes, would have been a third straight win by the Washington Capitals.

Instead, the playoff fun is just beginning.

"This is the most exciting hockey you can ever play in this league," Capitals centre Sergei Fedorov said. "It's fun."

Yes it is. Through three games, this series has been everything that hockey hoped it would be, from the performance of the superstars -- all three of them, after Game 3 -- to the quality of the games. Game 1 was all speed and skill; Game 2 featured Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby's duelling hat tricks; Game 3 went to overtime.

And yesterday, when asked if he felt the Penguins had been the better team in the series, Crosby said yes, he did.

"Yeah, I feel like we've out-chanced them over the three games," he said, before going into media-training mode and qualifying the statement.

Various teammates agreed with the essential hypothesis, though, which is based on Pittsburgh's 114-82 advantage in shots, and the fact that Washington goaltender Simeon Varlamov had been committing theft on a nightly basis. Which, in turn, allowed Boudreau to get just a little offended.

"They can think what they want to think," the plainspoken Capitals coach said.

"They're still down 2-1. It's about scoring at the right time, it's about making the big save, it's about coming through in the clutch.

"They outplayed us yesterday for sure, but I'd much rather be where I am right now than where they are."

Washington could have been further along, too. In Game 3, Nicklas Backstrom scored the tying goal with just 1:50 left in regulation, and the Penguins won on a Kris Letang goal that bounced in off Capitals defenceman Shaone Morrisonn.

For that, the NHL should send Morrisonn a thank-you card.

Despite Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin performing a passable imitation of Mario Lemieux, despite out-shooting the Capitals 34-15 in the last two periods and overtime, and despite seven power plays to Washington's two -- "Seriously, they have only two penalties. It's kind of a joke, I think," said Ovechkin after Game 3 -- the Penguins were still forced to look into an 0-3 abyss, and the NHL was forced to peer in along with them.

"One goal," Boudreau said when asked how close his team came to a 3-0 lead.

"You know, one shot. And I thought we even had chances last night after we tied it up. We were taking it to them a little bit, and I really felt confident that we were going to score. But it didn't happen."

Of course, no NHL playoff series worth its salt has truly begun until both teams have won a game, and somebody starts complaining about the officials. Well, we're there.

Boudreau and Penguins grit dispenser Matt Cooke had already been going back and forth over claims by both teams of interference on faceoffs -- "I could really care less what he says," said Cooke -- and yesterday, the Capitals were beating the well-worn drums of inequitable officiating, and goaltender interference.

"I was disappointed with the officiating last night," Capitals general manager George McPhee said. "I agree with Bruce. One team gets seven power plays and the other team gets two -- it's hard to win that game ... The supervisor in this series is as good as they come. Terry Gregson is terrific. But if the referees aren't going to listen to them, what good is it? We asked them to protect our goaltender, and they're not ... It's not right."

The temperature has gotten a little too heated for some--a death threat towards Ovechkin was posted on a Penguins Internet message board earlier this week, allegedly by a 17-year-old from Chambersburg, Pa., which is halfway between Pittsburgh and Washington. Police are investigating.

But all in all, this is what hockey wanted, and now hockey is getting it.

So when Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury says he would not be surprised if Ovechkin used illegal sticks, or when Boudreau complains about Chris Kunitz's Game 2 crosscheck to Varlamov's face, or Malkin's Game 3 steamrolling of the rookie goaltender Varlamov -- "There's no protection for the goalies," railed Boudreau -- the thermometer creeps upwards, and this series gets just that much more interesting.

It's like that old dog Fedorov said. This is fun.

"Who's better?" Pittsburgh's Sergei Gonchar said. "We'll know when the series is over."

Well, it ain't over yet. And thank the hockey gods for that.

barthur@nationalpost.com

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Personally, while this is an entertaining series of sorts, the officiating in both this series and especially the Hawks/Canucks is anything short of deplorable...

I wonder how much worse can it get?

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

[quote="Cronie"]Personally, while this is an entertaining series of sorts, the officiating in both this series and especially the Hawks/Canucks is anything short of deplorable...

I wonder how much worse can it get?[/quote]

I hope and pray we don't have to find out the answer to that question.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Here's one for you...

How many bottles of whine can an NHL coach open without a corkscrew?

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:Here's one for you...

How many bottles of whine can an NHL coach open without a corkscrew?

why do I get the feeling this will be one real knee-slapper? Wink

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I'm sooooo excited about this game, HUGE game!! Go Caps!!

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I wanna see Ovie laying some HUGE hits all night long. Plus, to be playing back home where the ice is, well, playable, should help! LOL

GO CAPS!!! Push the Pens to the brink.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Go Pens! I need this to stay in the hunt in the bracket pool. I picked Bruins, Pens, Wings and Whales (they have a killer whale on one of their logos, right?) Up until last night's game I was in trouble on three of those. Now I'm a little better, but I need this one. As much as I love Ovechkin.

Personally, i'm extremely impressed with Pittsburg right now. Hell of job taking that game 3 .....

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cronie wrote:Personally, while this is an entertaining series of sorts, the officiating in both this series and especially the Hawks/Canucks is anything short of deplorable...

I'm confused. Did you mean to say "nothing short of deplorable"? The way it's written it's anything but clear.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Cronie wrote:Personally, while this is an entertaining series of sorts, the officiating in both this series and especially the Hawks/Canucks is anything short of deplorable...

I'm confused. Did you mean to say "nothing short of deplorable"? The way it's written it's anything but clear.

HAHA! Need more caffeine.

Yeah, I meant NOTHING short of... My bad...

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Light's out USA... Sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum