GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ray Emery to the Flyers?

+8
Cronie
SensFan71
Flo The Action
Nasty Nas
PTFlea
asq2
caissie_1
dennycrane
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Ray Emery to the Flyers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ray Emery to the Flyers? Mon May 04, 2009 12:13 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:whoa. I wonder how 'solid' this intel is?

It's from TSN Gossip Columnist 'Diva' Dreger.

17Ray Emery to the Flyers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ray Emery to the Flyers? Mon May 04, 2009 12:44 pm

Phoenix30

Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:There is also a backup in Anahiem with a cup ring and a Conn Smyth that could very well be available.

I was just talking about this last night with the roommate. JS is as good as gone with the way Hiller is playing. I'm guessing that Colorado, Montreal, Edmonton, and Philly might be interested and possibly the most likely to check into it. I think Gainey needs to bring someone in for the next couple of years to help Price along and with 2 years remaining on JS contract he could be the perfect fit. Philly, Colorado and Edmonton could do it by sending some money back to Anaheim which would help them.

18Ray Emery to the Flyers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ray Emery to the Flyers? Mon May 04, 2009 12:46 pm

beedub

Veteran
Veteran

I hope for Philly's sake they are not actually considering this.

I think at this point Philly might want to look at a proven goalie with credentials. Someone mentioned earlier Giguere, now that I would do in an instant, if you could pry him away from Southern California.

19Ray Emery to the Flyers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ray Emery to the Flyers? Mon May 04, 2009 12:54 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:There is also a backup in Anahiem with a cup ring and a Conn Smyth that could very well be available.

There's your better option if you can handle the cap hit, Giggy has lots left in him.

20Ray Emery to the Flyers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ray Emery to the Flyers? Mon May 04, 2009 1:23 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Is Emery going to come back to haunt us next year? I think he will.

21Ray Emery to the Flyers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ray Emery to the Flyers? Mon May 04, 2009 1:24 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

beedub wrote:I hope for Philly's sake they are not actually considering this.

I think at this point Philly might want to look at a proven goalie with credentials. Someone mentioned earlier Giguere, now that I would do in an instant, if you could pry him away from Southern California.

I don't think it's possible to be honest. The Flyers are right up against the cap as it is, finding a way to fit 6+ million is tough - especially when you need 2 million is cap space for call ups etc. The Flyers have already had to submit a smaller roster this year to make sure they weren't over the cap, I can't imagine they'll want to do that again.

Briere for Giguere would be perfect though. But I don't see Briere waiving and I don't think Anaheim really wants a small, injury-prone center with the way it plays.

22Ray Emery to the Flyers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ray Emery to the Flyers? Mon May 04, 2009 1:25 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:Is Emery going to come back to haunt us next year? I think he will.

Haunt us? Not sure about that with only 4 games vs Philly, but he could make the Flyers favourites in the Atlantic for sure. He had one crap year when he was too lazy to rehab his wrist, but he's good. He rode a hot Sens team to the Finals...pfft. He was hot too - all year.

23Ray Emery to the Flyers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ray Emery to the Flyers? Mon May 04, 2009 1:26 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

504Heater wrote:
beedub wrote:I hope for Philly's sake they are not actually considering this.

I don't think it's possible to be honest. The Flyers are right up against the cap as it is, finding a way to fit 6+ million is tough - especially when you need 2 million is cap space for call ups etc. The Flyers have already had to submit a smaller roster this year to make sure they weren't over the cap, I can't imagine they'll want to do that again.

Briere for Giguere would be perfect though. But I don't see Briere waiving and I don't think Anaheim really wants a small, injury-prone center with the way it plays.

Yeah....no. I don't think they need a little man like that. He'd be broken right away. Could you imagine how cute that would be? Little man on the biggest team in the league. CUTE!! Comfort

24Ray Emery to the Flyers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ray Emery to the Flyers? Mon May 04, 2009 1:28 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

504Heater wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Is Emery going to come back to haunt us next year? I think he will.

Haunt us? Not sure about that with only 4 games vs Philly, but he could make the Flyers favourites in the Atlantic for sure. He had one crap year when he was too lazy to rehab his wrist, but he's good. He rode a hot Sens team to the Finals...pfft. He was hot too - all year.

Not necessarily Philly. I can name 2 teams in our division that need a goaltender. 1. Montreal :^^^^: 2. Toronto (they'd be silly to pick him up, but, if he's changed, he would be awesome there).

25Ray Emery to the Flyers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ray Emery to the Flyers? Mon May 04, 2009 1:29 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Too much of a crazy spotlight for Montreal or Toronto. If he's smart he goes for Colorado or Philly - not off the beaten tracks, but away from the fervour of a Canadian city.

26Ray Emery to the Flyers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ray Emery to the Flyers? Mon May 04, 2009 1:31 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:Yeah....no. I don't think they need a little man like that. He'd be broken right away. Could you imagine how cute that would be? Little man on the biggest team in the league. CUTE!! Comfort

Yeah, especially with the way the Ducks play, they get the opposition all hot and bothered, salivating to break bones.

However, MacDonald survived (and flourished) and he's a little man.

27Ray Emery to the Flyers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ray Emery to the Flyers? Mon May 04, 2009 1:45 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Too much of a crazy spotlight for Montreal or Toronto. If he's smart he goes for Colorado or Philly - not off the beaten tracks, but away from the fervour of a Canadian city.

Emery in Montreal would be disaster, he would be right in there with the Kostitsyn's and the people on the wrong side of the tracks so to speak.

28Ray Emery to the Flyers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ray Emery to the Flyers? Mon May 04, 2009 1:49 pm

Emery wont be haunting anyone.

29Ray Emery to the Flyers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ray Emery to the Flyers? Tue May 05, 2009 5:59 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Lyle Richardson of Spectors Hockey offers his opinion...

www.spectorshockey.net

More on the Flyers interest in Ray Emery:

CSNPHILLY.COM/PHILLY.COM/OTTAWA SUN: report Philadelphia Flyers GM Paul Holmgren admitted speaking with the agent for former Senators goaltender Ray Emery. Agent JP Barry suggests the odds for his client returning to the NHL next season are excellent and claimed three teams including the Flyers are interested in Emery.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Emery could have to accept perhaps $1 million or less to return next season given the Flyers tight cap space barring a significant salary dump in the off-season. I'm in agreement with James Mirtle that perhaps the Flyers should
consider other options from the European leagues, citing Niklas Backstrom and Jonas Hiller as two examples of unheralded European goaltenders having an almost instant positive impact with NHL teams. They'd also be more affordable as they'd have to come in under entry level contracts. Sure, there's also the possibility that such a goalie could struggle at the NHL level but as Mirtle points out there are several who had better numbers overseas this season than Emery.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum