GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GMHockey - MVP award

+4
PTFlea
SensFan71
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16GMHockey - MVP award - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - MVP award Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:20 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I know it's not supposed to matter, but Ovechkin deserves it for his work in the regular season, but probably won't get it if the Rangers eliminate the Caps.

My vote would go to Ovechkin. Malkin a distant second.

17GMHockey - MVP award - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - MVP award Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:34 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

No 'Lady Byng' category on the GM Hockey site?

What happened to sportsmanship?

:??:

18GMHockey - MVP award - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - MVP award Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:08 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Scott Clemmensen.

52 points in 40 games when Brodeur went down deserves some recognition. Plus, he accepted that the Devils has no choice but to sent him down to the AHL right after that - and didn't complain once.

Agreed, but he seems more of an unsung hero than a MVP simply because everyone knows the name Ovechkin but almost no one knows him.

Just for some representation for him, I say Malkin. I think he deserved it last year, TBH.

19GMHockey - MVP award - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - MVP award Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:27 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
504Heater wrote:Scott Clemmensen.

52 points in 40 games when Brodeur went down deserves some recognition. Plus, he accepted that the Devils has no choice but to sent him down to the AHL right after that - and didn't complain once.

Agreed, but he seems more of an unsung hero than a MVP simply because everyone knows the name Ovechkin but almost no one knows him.

Just for some representation for him, I say Malkin. I think he deserved it last year, TBH.

What, no Wings worthy of this honour in your estimation? :??:

20GMHockey - MVP award - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - MVP award Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:30 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

^It's difficult to balance best player versus most valuable player IMO.

I have stated that I believe that Datsyuk is the best over-all forward in the league (which in many people's minds equates with best player). But the Wings' line-up is so chock-full of talent that it's difficult to imagine them floundering without one of their top guns.

21GMHockey - MVP award - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - MVP award Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:37 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:^It's difficult to balance best player versus most valuable player IMO.

I have stated that I believe that Datsyuk is the best over-all forward in the league (which in many people's minds equates with best player). But the Wings' line-up is so chock-full of talent that it's difficult to imagine them floundering without one of their top guns.

Like Nicklas Lidstrom? The Wings always seem to 'flounder' without him.

22GMHockey - MVP award - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - MVP award Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:42 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Perhaps, but he wasn't at his normal level for some parts of the season and the Wings still ended up second in the conference.

Besides, I only named one player in Malkin. Razz

23GMHockey - MVP award - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - MVP award Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:49 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Perhaps, but he wasn't at his normal level for some parts of the season and the Wings still ended up second in the conference.

Isn't Lidstrom the Wings' most valuable player?

And what about Iginla? Isn't he worthy of consideration?

Nothing wrong with Malkin, but what makes him the Pens' most valuable? Doesn't Gonchar merit that? The Pens were lost without him this year.

24GMHockey - MVP award - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - MVP award Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:09 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:Perhaps, but he wasn't at his normal level for some parts of the season and the Wings still ended up second in the conference.

Nothing wrong with Malkin, but what makes him the Pens' most valuable? Doesn't Gonchar merit that? The Pens were lost without him this year.

Lidstrom is the Wings' most valuable player, but that doesn't necessarily make him the player with the most value to his respective team, which I believe is criterion this award is supposed to focus on (rather than just the Art Ross or Rocket Richard trophy, which often seems to be the case).

25GMHockey - MVP award - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - MVP award Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:16 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Lidstrom is the Wings' most valuable player, but that doesn't necessarily make him the player with the most value to his respective team, which I believe is criterion this award is supposed to focus on (rather than just the Art Ross or Rocket Richard trophy, which often seems to be the case).

From Wikipedia (source NHL):

The Hart Memorial Trophy, originally known as the Hart Trophy, the "oldest and most prestigious individual award in hockey", is awarded annually to the "player adjudged most valuable to his team" in the National Hockey League. The Hart Memorial Trophy has been awarded 83 times to 51 different players since its beginnings in 1924. Each year, members of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association vote to determine the player who was the most valuable to his team during the regular season.

The Wings' most valuable player, but not the most valuable to his respective team...aren't you contradicting yourself?

26GMHockey - MVP award - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - MVP award Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:23 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

From Wikipedia (source NHL):

The Hart Memorial Trophy, originally known as the Hart Trophy, the "oldest and most prestigious individual award in hockey", is awarded annually to the "player adjudged most valuable to his team" in the National Hockey League. The Hart Memorial Trophy has been awarded 83 times to 51 different players since its beginnings in 1924. Each year, members of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association vote to determine the player who was the most valuable to his team during the regular season.

The Wings' most valuable player, but not the most valuable to his respective team...aren't you contradicting yourself?

I worded it confusingly. Coffee!

He was the player most valuable to the Wings. But only one Hart Trophy is given out, rather than 30.

Every team has a player that is most valuable to them. But Lidstrom's value to the Wings may not be the same as another player's value to that player's team.

27GMHockey - MVP award - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - MVP award Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:32 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:

I actually didn't realize there was going to be a Unsung Hero award. I would move Clemenson there along with Chris Mason and Steve Mason.

I change my vote to Chara. He was the best player in the NHL IMO on a night in, night out basis. With Malkin and Ovechkin as my other two votes.

28GMHockey - MVP award - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - MVP award Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:39 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Exactly. Relative to their team, which player is worthy of being deemed 'The Most Valuable' this past season?

One could say, among teams that made the playoffs (it's probably difficult to give an MVP award to someone from a non-playoff team):

Blackhawks--Toews or Havlat
Blue Jackets--Mason or Nash
Blues--Chris Mason?
Bruins--Chara, Thomas perhaps?
Canadiens--Markov, or even Kovalev
Canucks--Luongo
Capitals--Ovechkin
Devils--Langenbrunner, Parise or Brodeur?
Ducks--Niedermayer or Pronger
Flames--Iginla
Flyers--Carter or Richards, perhaps Timonen?
Hurricanes--Ward, or maybe Staal?
Penguins--Gonchar, or perhaps Crosby/Malkin?
Rangers--Lundqvist
Red Wings--Lidstrom
Sharks--Boyle or Nabokov

Food for thought, no?
cool)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum