GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh

+16
SeawaySensFan
SensGirl11
Cronie
sennies1980
dennycrane
LeCaptain
SensFan71
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
LethalLehner
shabbs
beedub
davetherave
asq2
caissie_1
PTFlea
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

POLL: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh

Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Vote_lcap20%Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Vote_lcap20%Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Vote_lcap219%Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Vote_rcap2 19% [ 3 ]
Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Vote_lcap213%Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Vote_rcap2 13% [ 2 ]
Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Vote_lcap26%Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Vote_lcap238%Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Vote_rcap2 38% [ 6 ]
Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Vote_lcap224%Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Vote_rcap2 24% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 14]

181Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:29 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Philyl showing their offensive depth right now. Carter, Richards, Giroux, Briere, Hartnell, Knuble, Gagne, Lupul... How many Top 6 forwards does this team have?
They will replace Knuble with Van Riemsdiek, it will look even scarier :****:

182Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:31 pm

Tyler Kennedy looks like a pig. I hate his face.

183Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:43 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Flyers took advantage of the Pens' absence of killer instinct tonight...and bought themselves another chance.

Biron looked damn good.

Pens and Marky Flowers, too slack in their defensive zone.

Giroux was terrific.

184Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:Tyler Kennedy looks like a pig. I hate his face.

Laughing3

I say Rhesus Monkey, but you might be onto something...

Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Rhesus%20Monkey

185Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:17 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 PitPittsburgh at Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 PhiPhiladelphia

3:00 PM ET, April 25, 2009
Wachovia Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

CBC/NBC/RDS

PITTSBURGH LEADS SERIES 3-2

Penguins-Flyers Preview

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Martin Biron is more concerned with the pregame music than his contract situation. He can earn a bigger payday and keep the Philadelphia Flyers' season going with another standout performance.

Biron helped the Flyers avoid elimination by stopping 28 shots for his second career playoff shutout in Thursday night's 3-0 win at Pittsburgh. Game 6 is Saturday afternoon in Philadelphia, where a hyped-up crowd surely will be ready for Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and the rest of the Penguins.

Desperate to extend the series, the Flyers turned to their often-criticized goaltender. Biron isn't considered among the elite goalies in the NHL, and he didn't even become the clear No. 1 for Philadelphia until late in the season. But he's been outstanding in the playoffs.

Before Game 5, coach John Stevens told Biron in front of the team that he needed to be great. Biron responded to the challenge by making 15 saves in the first period, keeping the Flyers in the game and quieting Pittsburgh's fans.

Then Philadelphia settled in and got a huge momentum boost when fourth-line forward Arron Asham scored the go-ahead goal in the second period. That was all Biron needed. He single-handedly made sure the Flyers would play another game.
"We're not looking at wining the series tomorrow," Biron said Friday. "We're looking at pushing it to Game 7."

Biron and his teammates know how difficult it is to close out a series after taking a 3-1 lead. In the first round last year, they blew a 3-1 lead against the Washington Capitals before winning Game 7 on the road in overtime.

"I remember last year after Game 6, sitting on the train to go to Washington and thinking that we just let a very good opportunity slip away," Biron said. "But when I got to the rink the next day and you're getting dressed, it's, 'Do we have the music in the room that gets us going?' It's the same thing being down 3-2. You think about it. As huge as yesterday was, tomorrow is even bigger. You're home and you got to win."

It all starts with hearing the right tunes in the locker room. Maybe some Metallica, Disturbed or Drowning Pool will fire up the Flyers.

"That's a secret. I can't let you guys in on it," Biron said, laughing. "If I let you know, you wouldn't even know what it is because I don't know what half the music is. It's not Olivia Newton-John, that's for sure."

The easygoing Biron is clearly focused on trying to help the Flyers win their first Stanley Cup since 1975. He'll become a free agent after the season, but he's not ready to discuss his future.

"Who cares right now?" he said. "That's so far down (compared to) the importance of the game and the playoffs and all that."

Despite their win in Pittsburgh, the Flyers still have a huge challenge. They're 0-13 in series after trailing 3-1, and haven't even forced a Game 7 since losing to Edmonton in the 1987 Stanley Cup finals.

Pittsburgh hasn't blown a 3-1 series lead since losing to the New York Islanders 34 years ago. Odds heavily favor the Penguins, too. Only 8.7 percent (20-of-229) of NHL teams that trailed a playoff series 3-1 rallied to win.

"We're still winning the series," Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar said. "We're recognizing it's going to be tough for us and we have to play better, but momentum-wise I don't think that's a concern."

The Penguins expect a loud, hostile environment at the Wachovia Center, where Flyers fans usually make things uncomfortable for visiting teams. The best way to silence the die-hards is to score early. A couple quick goals and those orange-clad maniacs just as easily will turn on their team.

"We know what to expect, it's up to us to dictate that with our play," Crosby said.

"The first goal is nice and it's talked about so often, but if you believe in the way you play, it doesn't matter. We believe if we put 60 minutes together, no matter who scores the first goal, we give ourselves a good chance to win. It'd be great to get it, especially on the road to get the crowd out of it if possible, but if it doesn't work, we'll just continue to play our game."

186Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:37 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I hope this one goes to game 7. The 4-5 series have been the best ones so far IMO.

187Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:54 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:I hope this one goes to game 7. The 4-5 series have been the best ones so far IMO.

Right on.

188Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:33 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

pens are putting a lot of pressure making it hard for philly to get out of their own zone

189Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:22 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

That second effort around the net by Malkin for the goal was great. A signal of things to come: it's terrifying to think how good he's going to be.

God on Talbot for fighting Carcillo, and good for the Pens to stand up for Fedotenko after he got levelled after Malkin's goal.

Pens still have a lot to do if they want to end the series today, though.

190Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:31 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Talbot turns it over in his own zone...Richards and The Knubinator make the Pingus pay.

Fleury looked weak on Lupul's goal big time.

Briere's tally was a beaut.

So the Flyers grab a hefty lead...

...and then proceed to blow it...to within one, anyway.

Is it good play, or a series of mistakes, or both?

Can either of these teams expect to advance beyond Round Two against Jersey or the Canes?

Fun to watch...

191Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

what a colapse by philly

192Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:50 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Martin Biron confirms the opinions of his critics.

193Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:56 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

fleury hasnt silenced his either though

194Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:59 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:fleury hasnt silenced his either though

who flakes first? LOL

195Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:14 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

This goal demonstrates why Sergei Gonchar is a better offensive d-man than Mike Green LOL

Horrendous coverage by Philly.

196Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:24 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:This goal demonstrates why Sergei Gonchar is a better offensive d-man than Mike Green LOL

I'm not so sure about that, unless of course it was sarcasm. But if it wasn't, then i personally believe there was not reason that shot should have gone in. That shot was at Biron, most capable goalies would have stopped it. Now i'm not saying Gonchar is better or not offensively than Mike Green, I'm just saying that goal wasn't indicative of the fact.

197Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:28 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:
davetherave wrote:This goal demonstrates why Sergei Gonchar is a better offensive d-man than Mike Green LOL

I'm not so sure about that, unless of course it was sarcasm. But if it wasn't, then i personally believe there was not reason that shot should have gone in. That shot was at Biron, most capable goalies would have stopped it. Now i'm not saying Gonchar is better or not offensively than Mike Green, I'm just saying that goal wasn't indicative of the fact.

Actually Gonchar IS better than Green.

PS how many goals does Mike Green have in the playoffs so far?

And what goalie can stop a cruise missile like that one?

198Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 13 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:44 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

CROSBY KILLS THE FLYERS...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum