GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL GMs say, 'yes there is an economic crisis'

+4
beedub
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
davetherave
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

What does the economic crisis mean for the NHL?

NHL GMs say, 'yes there is an economic crisis' Vote_lcap236%NHL GMs say, 'yes there is an economic crisis' Vote_rcap2 36% [ 4 ]
NHL GMs say, 'yes there is an economic crisis' Vote_lcap20%NHL GMs say, 'yes there is an economic crisis' Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
NHL GMs say, 'yes there is an economic crisis' Vote_lcap227%NHL GMs say, 'yes there is an economic crisis' Vote_rcap2 27% [ 3 ]
NHL GMs say, 'yes there is an economic crisis' Vote_lcap20%NHL GMs say, 'yes there is an economic crisis' Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
NHL GMs say, 'yes there is an economic crisis' Vote_lcap218%NHL GMs say, 'yes there is an economic crisis' Vote_rcap2 18% [ 2 ]
NHL GMs say, 'yes there is an economic crisis' Vote_lcap218%NHL GMs say, 'yes there is an economic crisis' Vote_rcap2 18% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GMs acknowledge economic crisis

Associated Press

ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3970648

March 11, 2009

NAPLES, Fla. -- After two days focused on fighting, NHL general managers finally turned their attention to the sagging economy on the final day of their annual meeting.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said Wednesday he expects the salary cap to be "about where it was this year" for next season, but there's more uncertainty about 2010-11. The collective bargaining agreement, reached after the 2004-05 NHL lockout, is set to expire in 2011. Players could vote to extend it for another year.

The recent decline of the Canadian dollar will also affect revenues, Bettman said.

"We've very leery of contracts that run into the 2010-11 season. We think it's going to be very tough," said
Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke. "I think we'd be delusional to think we'd not see some impact [from the poor economy]."

Added Ken Holland, GM of the 2008 Stanley Cup champion
Detroit Red Wings: "We know we're going to lose some players [in the next two seasons]."

----

So what does it all mean?

Is it the sign of a new bargaining position where GMs tell players they simply can't get the kinds of money they previously were?

Does it mean that teams are stuck with the players who have signed mega-deals?

Does this mean the end of the UFA mega-deal?

Does it mean that teams who have spent too close to the cap will suffer?

Does it mean that teams who have plenty of cap space will be able to get sweet deals on players whose teams want to offload their big contracts?

Does it mean that teams who stock their rosters with young, less expensive players will rise while older teams fall?

Does it signify a fundamental change in the NHL, where players change teams every one or two years?

For Senators fans, does this impact how Bryan Murray re-tools his roster?

A topic, I am sure, where everyone here will want to have their say...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It's a bargaining tool that most employers will use. The NHL is no exception. In their case when push comes to shove the players will get raises, as usual.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

How come I can't pick all of the above? Smile

Seriously though, every one of the poll answers is very viable IMO. Veterans are gonna be playing overseas, older guys will be getting 1 years deals, tons and tons of salary dumps and roster moves, youth will rule and GMs will have to be unbelievably creative.

Big things coming.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

BTW, there goes J-Bo for Ottawa - for sure (in case some of us were still harboring the hope).

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Teams will be able to carry only one Elite level contract. So guys like a Kovalchuk, Ovechkin and Heatley will continue to command the big contracts.

Lesser players will be required to take a lot less on shorter contracts. I believe there will be true parity, and GMs will really earn their paychecks as they will have to put together the best "lunchpail" team they can

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:BTW, there goes J-Bo for Ottawa - for sure (in case some of us were still harboring the hope).

yeah if we did have any hope, it is now gone, he will either stay where he is or go to some team with lots of cap room that is a contender already or very close.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
504Heater wrote:BTW, there goes J-Bo for Ottawa - for sure (in case some of us were still harboring the hope).

yeah if we did have any hope, it is now gone, he will either stay where he is or go to some team with lots of cap room that is a contender already or very close.

IMHO Beedub nailed it. Teams will maybe (or not) have a big contract at each of the forward, defense and goaltending levels...then fill out the roster with younger cheaper players.

That would suggest an even greater level of parity...we could see something like what happens in the NFL and NBA, with teams rising and falling every three-five years.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

whoa! I have to agree that all the poll options would have to be used by ANY GM hoping to keep his job.

With this news, sounds like the 2010-2011 season could REALLY SUCK...

One more thing to look forward to I suppose.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

voted now too, for youth will rule as that makes the most logical sense, means more gambling and perhaps more intensive focus on better scouting, but so be it.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

With 2010-11 being the year to worry about financially I think it puts Ottawa in a potentially good situation. Foligno and Shannon will hopefully continue to excel and still be cheap options as well as guys like E. Karlsson and Patrick Weircioch coming in on cheap deals. This could work out well for the Sens.

- Unknown Author

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I so hope you're right clutch. But with Fish, Heater and Spezz and Alfie on big contracts coming into that year, something's gonna break...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:With 2010-11 being the year to worry about financially I think it puts Ottawa in a potentially good situation. Foligno and Shannon will hopefully continue to excel and still be cheap options as well as guys like E. Karlsson and Patrick Weircioch coming in on cheap deals. This could work out well for the Sens.

To make it a 'good situation', Bryan Murray will have to make some cap room especially if he wants to get down to 50MM.

Agree with you though on this being an opportuntity for the kids.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronie wrote:I so hope you're right clutch. But with Fish, Heater and Spezz and Alfie on big contracts coming into that year, something's gonna break...

Well, if you buy into the one of the big 4 is gone theory then we should be just fine. Also there's guys like O'brien and Petersson who could both possibly crack the lineup that year. This could be a good year to be in the youth movement business :D

Edit: Almost forgot that Regin could turn into something special as well.

- Unknown Author

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:With 2010-11 being the year to worry about financially I think it puts Ottawa in a potentially good situation. Foligno and Shannon will hopefully continue to excel and still be cheap options as well as guys like E. Karlsson and Patrick Weircioch coming in on cheap deals. This could work out well for the Sens.

so if the cap is going down for the 2010/11 season, then that must mean next year teams that have a lot of UFA's are going to be trouble, so as per NHL numbers, here are the teams that will have trouble (high number of UFA/RFA players as well as high priced FA's)

Anaheim
Calgary
Dallas
Montreal (YES!!!!!)
NJ (just mildly though)
NYR (ha ha)
Pittsburgh
Vancouver

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, not to mention our 1st rounder from this year as well.

Foligno will have to be re-signed the summer before the 10-11 season, but it all works out pretty well for the Sens to be perfectly honest.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum