GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bowmeester for McCabe and Steen?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bowmeester for McCabe and Steen? Empty Bowmeester for McCabe and Steen? Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:49 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Hockey bums is reporting a deal is in the works to get Bowmeester out of florida and in Toronto for Steen and McCabe. Please tell me that won't happen !!!

2Bowmeester for McCabe and Steen? Empty Re: Bowmeester for McCabe and Steen? Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:55 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TheAvatar wrote:Hockey bums is reporting a deal is in the works to get Bowmeester out of florida and in Toronto for Steen and McCabe. Please tell me that won't happen !!!

OH DEAR GOD NO!!!

First of all, can you see McCabe moving all the way to FLORIDA?!?
and 2nd, who's reporting it? The Source fella or someone else?
I'm not bashing or anything, just curious...

3Bowmeester for McCabe and Steen? Empty Re: Bowmeester for McCabe and Steen? Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:44 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:Hockey bums is reporting a deal is in the works to get Bowmeester out of florida and in Toronto for Steen and McCabe. Please tell me that won't happen !!!

OH DEAR GOD NO!!!

First of all, can you see McCabe moving all the way to FLORIDA?!?
and 2nd, who's reporting it? The Source fella or someone else?
I'm not bashing or anything, just curious...

I can't see it either. McCabe was holding onto his NMC to go to Florida? I know the weather's nice and the tax situation is great but, Florida? Isn't that where careers go to die?

4Bowmeester for McCabe and Steen? Empty Re: Bowmeester for McCabe and Steen? Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:01 pm

Martin is a damn fool if he does that deal. I can't believe it would be true. Meszie and Vermette is a better package and I would do that in a second. I am sure that many other teams could offer a better package than an over paid McCabe and Steen.

5Bowmeester for McCabe and Steen? Empty Re: Bowmeester for McCabe and Steen? Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:08 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

MurderOnIce wrote:

Martin is a damn fool if he does that deal. I can't believe it would be true. Meszie and Vermette is a better package and I would do that in a second. I am sure that many other teams could offer a better package than an over paid McCabe and Steen.

Completely agreed. Not sure if I'd trade Vermette now that he's on such a great contract, but there HAS to be better offers than McCabe and Steen. There just has to be.

However, if somehow this deal does go down- I'm going to hate playing against JayBo six (?) times a year. Just Dung. I don't want to hate the guy, but if he joins the Leafs that might ultimately end up happening.

6Bowmeester for McCabe and Steen? Empty Re: Bowmeester for McCabe and Steen? Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:12 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

MurderOnIce wrote:

I don't think it will happen, but I'm not so sure it's not a good deal. Vermette is better than Steen, but by how much? Maybe Vermette has already hit his peak in terms of production, and Steen could continue to improve. I look at Steen as another Kelly type, which is to say not very much different (value-wise) from Vermette. And Meszaros is certainly *not* (at this point, given recent history and career production) as good as McCabe. It hurt to say that (just a little) but I believe it to be true (do we have a "runs and ducks" icon?)

So, while Martin certainly knows Vermette/Meszaros better than Steen/McCabe, would he necessarily see that as a better deal?

On the other hand, I don't believe that Murray ever offered that deal (personally, I think *he* would be the fool in that case, since Bouwmeester is not a significant enough upgrade over Meszaros at a higher salary; say nothing of Vermette). So if that rumoured deal was never on the table, I can easily see Martin grabbing this one. As good as Bouwmeester may be (or may become) I thought it was pretty clear that he did not want to stay in Florida (and, if he does, maybe he just doesn't have that drive you want in a top defenseman). If they are going to lose him next year anyhow, why not get somethingin return now?

On the third hand (yeah, buying gloves is a real b*^$&) Martin would get a much better deal in March.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum