GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Did he wait too long?

+3
beerandsens
Cap'n Clutch
Cronie
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Did he wait too long? Empty Did he wait too long? Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:39 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

O.k. Well, let me first preface this by saying I am not trying to induce yet another Sens thread on bad coaching or to bash Murray or past management people in any capacity, but having just had a conversation with a few colleagues, it got me thinking and thus I thought I would post this thought here and see if anyone agrees or does not.

We all can agree that Murray did not have the best luck in picking coaches for this club (hindsight and all), but thus far into Clouston's tenure, it seems like he could be a perfect fit, but we'll see how continues to fare before officially judging that. However, while NO ONE could have foreseen the sudden and drastic change in this club once Hartsburg was shown the door, as a few friends pointed out, it nonetheless could beg the question of whether Murray waited too long before making said move?

Now, I would have answered almost a resouding yes, but that also takes into account their stellar play of late that could have led to a legitimate playoff push had the move happened sooner, but again, no one knew how the Sens would react, let alone to this degree. So, what do you think? Should Murray have done this at the 30 game mark? or even sooner?

I will say this, having watched an interesting interview with Murray by Gord Wilson, Wilson did ask Murray his sentiments on letting Hartsburg go, and besides all the PR and niceties which are the norm, he did mention something that stuck with me. Murray was saying that it's never easy to let someone go, let alone someone you vouched for and recruited, so to speak, but when you consider that you become entrenched like a family and they become a blood brethren of sorts, it's that much harder. Bryan went on to say that when you consider that you get to know him as an individual more in depth, and can put faces to the names of his spouse, his children, his family and friends, then whether hockey is a business or not, it's still stings to have to look at that 'friend' of sorts with dissapointment and inform them that their services are no longer needed.

Either way, I'm curious to see how the resident Sens fans feel, as we have shared a multitude of opinions regarding Murray's capabilities as GM and such and his coaching issues so should this be added to his woes, or did he do just fine?

2Did he wait too long? Empty Re: Did he wait too long? Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:49 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hindsight being what it is I wish he had done it sooner but I suspect he thought it would do little to nothing to change their fortunes and Clouston was meant to be a place holder while they made their run for the Tavares/Hedman Cup.

- Unknown Author

3Did he wait too long? Empty Re: Did he wait too long? Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:50 am

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

The media and some of us were all over Murray for letting him go too early. Earlier would have come under more scrutiny. I think you have to give it time, even if it is sub par. At least now there is no doubt that Harts wasn't in the right place at the right time.

I'm also thinking that Spezza started playing better hockey (albeit intermittently) with Hartz after losing a bunch. Losing might have changed some of our players for the better. Would the players have developed the same character if Clouston stepped in earlier? Maybe, winning builds character too.

Either way, my gut says this was the right way to do it. Not earlier and not later (even at the expense of a better pick).

4Did he wait too long? Empty Re: Did he wait too long? Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:57 am

Of course he waited too long. Actually, there shouldn't have been anything to wait on. After Padonkey failed, he should have hired the right guy to begin with.

Hindsight is 20/20 though.

5Did he wait too long? Empty Re: Did he wait too long? Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:00 pm

Sometimes the only way to get things right is by getting them wrong first.

If Clouston is the guy it is because the other two failed.

6Did he wait too long? Empty Re: Did he wait too long? Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:Sometimes the only way to get things right is by getting them wrong first.

If Clouston is the guy it is because the other two failed.

Bingo. Totally agree.

7Did he wait too long? Empty Re: Did he wait too long? Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:32 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bingo? No pun intended I presume, right Heater? LOL

8Did he wait too long? Empty Re: Did he wait too long? Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:39 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:Bingo? No pun intended I presume, right Heater? LOL

:lol!: Weird how it turned out, no?

9Did he wait too long? Empty Re: Did he wait too long? Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:40 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I think we should wait for the end of the season to judge that. If we somehow end with a playoff spot, We can say it wasnt too late.

10Did he wait too long? Empty Re: Did he wait too long? Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:47 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

He should had sacked him after the fist dismal road trip, but hind sight is 20/20....

11Did he wait too long? Empty Re: Did he wait too long? Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Number Twenty Nine wrote:He should had sacked him after the fist dismal road trip, but hind sight is 20/20....

No man, I completely agree, it's not as much hindsite as it is a lack of stones to fire a coach 30 games into a season when it's clearly not working.

I subscribe to this POV 100%.

12Did he wait too long? Empty Re: Did he wait too long? Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:18 pm

I think there are a few things that come into play...

- Murray's friendship aside, his credibility for picking coaches would go out the window (it has)

- Ownership was probably not bullish on paying yet another coach NOT to coach the club

- Hartsburg was promising when they hired him, they probably spoke several times about the situation and tried things. In the end he probably owed Hartsburg the opportunity to clean up the mess and try to turn things around, which never materialized for him.

I think the timing was to be expected, just would have been nice to be on this win streak in December rather than February...

13Did he wait too long? Empty Re: Did he wait too long? Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

oh yeah, you can say that again MOI.

14Did he wait too long? Empty Re: Did he wait too long? Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:25 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Also, I've heard that some players' defensive games (Spezza) were helped a lot by Hartsburg.

But obviously the system wasn't working.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum