GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out

+6
Snuh
Phoenix30
LeCaptain
The Silfer Server
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Empty Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:35 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

As most of you all know, Downey has had a rough decade, but he got nominated for an Oscar this morning for his guy-bustingly funny turn in Tropic Thunder (I thought Cruise should also have been in the running).

If you haven't seen his performance in TT, then go and rent it tonight. He's absolutely amazing playing a black guy. He's also very, very good in Iron Man.

Congrats on your Oscar nomination and keep up the good work Downey! You were - and now are again - one of the best actors of our generation.

2Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Empty Re: Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:38 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I liked him better as the brooding outcast, yet somehow cool, buddy of Rodney Dangerfield's son in "Back to School".

3Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Empty Re: Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:58 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

I love Robert Downey Jr, definitely one of the most underrated actors out there... The movie you should see that did not get the praise it deserved was Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. He and Val Kilmer were absolutely hilarious in it. It's a great flick...

What's also wild is he's going to be playing Sherlock Holmes with Jude Law as his Watson, and directed by Guy Ritchie. He has this other movie with Jamie Foxx coming out to, looks good, but I don't remember the title.

But speaking of Guy Ritchie, not his last film, but the one before that was spectacular. It was called Revolver, and got extremely limited release in North America. It's wrought with Kaballah and Buddhist motifs, and can be a bit difficult to understand the first time, but I adored that movie.

4Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Empty Re: Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:00 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kiss Kiss was awesome. He was great in Zodiac as well.

Looking forward to Sherlock big time. As a huge fan of Lock Stock and Snatch, I've stunningly not seen Revolver yet. This weekend perhaps.

5Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Empty Re: Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:02 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

KIss Kiss Banga Bang, Zodiac, I also loved Only you Razz

6Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Empty Re: Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:06 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:Kiss Kiss was awesome. He was great in Zodiac as well.

Looking forward to Sherlock big time. As a huge fan of Lock Stock and Snatch, I've stunningly not seen Revolver yet. This weekend perhaps.

His newest, Rocknrolla, was alright, but a little empty, and seemed to try and emulate a Snatch like story without the direction and misdirection. But it was still good. I think I was expecting more because it was Guy Ritchie.

7Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Empty Re: Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:07 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:KIss Kiss Banga Bang, Zodiac, I also loved Only you Razz

That's because you have a fetish for Tomei. She apparently gets naked throughout the entire movie The Wrestler (you could also view her yum yums in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead).

This is all information...I heard mentioned...but obviously, I wouldn't watch these films. Suspect

8Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Empty Re: Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:08 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bass Destruction wrote:

His newest, Rocknrolla, was alright, but a little empty, and seemed to try and emulate a Snatch like story without the direction and misdirection. But it was still good. I think I was expecting more because it was Guy Ritchie.

The fact that the shackles are off and he's back to being single will influence his style of direction. I totally believe that, he'll be back to his Lock Stock and Snatch days soon.

EDIT: By shackles, I mean Madonna wasn't the smartest choice of cyborg to fall in love with.

9Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Empty Re: Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:10 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:

The fact that the shackles are off and he's back to being single will influence his style of direction. I totally believe that, he'll be back to his Lock Stock and Snatch days soon.

EDIT: By shackles, I mean Madonna wasn't the smartest choice of cyborg to fall in love with.

I don't know, he made out like a bandit in the divorce.

10Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Empty Re: Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:11 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Did he make one great film during their time together though? He's got $$, now he needs to make sure Mat Vaughn is with him every step of the way and they need to get back to basics and make some cool Dung. Sherlock is gonna rock I hope.

11Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Empty Re: Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:14 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Can't rule out Mickie Rourke as well. He got nominated for best actor for the wrestler. Not a big fan of him but I suspect he has a good chance since he won a globe a few weeks back for best actor.

12Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Empty Re: Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:18 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:Can't rule out Mickie Rourke as well. He got nominated for best actor for the wrestler. Not a big fan of him but I suspect he has a good chance since he won a globe a few weeks back for best actor.

Oh, Rourke's got it in the bag. There's no one out there that's beating him this year.

Downey has about a 6% chance of winning, but he's in the Supporting Actor category.

I just thought that his 'circle was now complete'. His comeback is one of the better stories in cinema history.

To quote Jules Winfield: "(He) should be Diddle dead my friend."

13Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Empty Re: Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:19 am

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

marakh wrote:KIss Kiss Banga Bang, Zodiac, I also loved Only you Razz

Let us not forget Chaplin. Probably his break-out film establishing himself as a great actor. I also thought he was good in "Good Night and Good Luck", although he didn''t have a big role. Thought he was great in "Natural Born Killers" as well. His character was so annoying, which means he did a great job! I still hate the movie "Air America" though.

14Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Empty Re: Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:19 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Doesn't look like he wrote Sherlock though. According to the imdb profile, it seems as though characters are based of Doyle, but that the story is based of a graphic novel by Lionel Wigram. But is should still be good, RDJ doesn't attach his name to just anything.

I was just looking at Guy Ritchie's profile, and I forgot about that movie Swept Away he made starring Madonna... It has an IMDB rating of 3.5, which must be one of the lowest i've seen on that site.

15Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Empty Re: Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:21 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ritchie wrote the screenplay for sure. I'll try to check when I have a chance.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum