GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+9
Hockeyhero22000
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
DefenceWinsChampionships
spader
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
Flo The Action
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 25 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 57 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 47 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:That panarin contract seems nuts .

Meh, why do you say that?

I think the term and dollar amounts are huge for a rebuilding team. Deals like this have bitten the Rangers in the past

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:

Maybe I’m losing track of what contracts size should be but in what universe is Panarin worth over 10M.

Same for Bobrovsky. Not worth over 8.

I love how the habs have cleared cap room to sign barely anyone. Hahaha they better pry Aho out of Carolina. It’s gonna cost them... they’re almost better off offersheeting him at this point instead of losing your up and coming players. 4 1sts is a tough price.

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran

New Jersey adds Wayne Simmons 1 year 5 mil

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

Maybe I’m losing track of what contracts size should be but in what universe is Panarin worth over 10M.

Same for Bobrovsky. Not worth over 8.

I love how the habs have cleared cap room to sign barely anyone. Hahaha they better pry Aho out of Carolina. It’s gonna cost them... they’re almost better off offersheeting him at this point instead of losing your up and coming players. 4 1sts is a tough price.

In what universe is Panarin not worth 11.6 million? I mean...if other teams are giving players 8,9,10+, why not Panarin. 322 games played, 320 points, so a PPG winger including 2 30 goal seasons and 2 just under 30 goal seasons. Playoff performer - at just under a PPG.

27 years old, so getting older, but still in the prime.

If there ever was an 11.6 million dollar guy, this is it IMO.

The only problem I have, is that he's a winger - which are the least valuable of the positions, but still a TOP performer in this league and now paid accordingly.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

Kadri and Calle Rosen and 3rd 2020 to Colorado for Barrie kerfoot and a 6th rounder Colorado retains 50% Barrie's salary

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That's the classic move by Sakic where he somehow turns a guy with 1 year left into Kadri. Kerfoot is a nice piece as a sweetener, but it's still Kadri from Barrie +.

Goodness...good luck signing a right-handed D-man - who is in demand no matter what - who can put up offence.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Begs the question of whatever or not they sign Ceci

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Begs the question of whatever or not they sign Ceci
I thought they had already...?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

lol at everyone saying Toronto's D is suddenly way better. Don't see how that's the case.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:lol at everyone saying Toronto's D is suddenly way better. Don't see how that's the case.

I definitely wouldn't say "way" better. I'd say a little bit better because of Barrie. But looking at their CapFriendly page kind of leads one to ask what the long-term plan is with the D?

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

Barrie's due for a massive raise after this year, Muzzin will get a bit of a pay hike, Travis Dermott is a decent RFA they need to resign...they have one defenceman contract after next season.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:
Ev wrote:lol at everyone saying Toronto's D is suddenly way better. Don't see how that's the case.

I definitely wouldn't say "way" better.  I'd say a little bit better because of Barrie.  But looking at their CapFriendly page kind of leads one to ask what the long-term plan is with the D?

Barrie's due for a massive raise after this year, Muzzin will get a bit of a pay hike, Travis Dermott is a decent RFA they need to resign...they have one defenceman contract after next season.

I think that's the part of the trade that annoyed me as a hockey fan. I personally hope Toronto rots in hell, but these GMs should have a plan. What a short sighted trade that was yesterday - with little to no chance of them signing Barrie after this year. Maybe if they shuffle the decks big time they can squeeze him in, but it'll all but kill their depth.

Interesting though that Dumas thinks he can go for the Cup now, because he sure is using his trade chips up in a hurry.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I definitely wouldn't say "way" better.  I'd say a little bit better because of Barrie.  But looking at their CapFriendly page kind of leads one to ask what the long-term plan is with the D?

I think that's the part of the trade that annoyed me as a hockey fan.  I personally hope Toronto rots in hell, but these GMs should have a plan.  What a short sighted trade that was yesterday - with little to no chance of them signing Barrie after this year.  Maybe if they shuffle the decks big time they can squeeze him in, but it'll all but kill their depth.

Interesting though that Dumas thinks he can go for the Cup now, because he sure is using his trade chips up in a hurry.

It’s the Pittsburgh model. Hoping offence can get you there with an average D and decent goaltending. Might work but their kids are still kids. Gonna have to show a lot more determination. They’ll end up probably having to trade either marner or Nylander in the end in a year or two and Matthews will likely walk at the end of his contract. (Hopefully without having won a cup)

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I think that's the part of the trade that annoyed me as a hockey fan.  I personally hope Toronto rots in hell, but these GMs should have a plan.  What a short sighted trade that was yesterday - with little to no chance of them signing Barrie after this year.  Maybe if they shuffle the decks big time they can squeeze him in, but it'll all but kill their depth.

It’s the Pittsburgh model. Hoping offence can get you there with an average D and decent goaltending. Might work but their kids are still kids. Gonna have to show a lot more determination. They’ll end up probably having to trade either marner or Nylander in the end in a year or two and Matthews will likely walk at the end of his contract. (Hopefully without having won a cup)

I agree, although Crosby and Malkin at their peak vs Matthews and Marner...?

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Crosby and Malkin > Matthew and Marner

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Crosby and Malkin > Matthew and Marner

Absolutely.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Let’s be honest though. The leafs also have Nylander, Tavares, Barrie and Reilly as well as some other nice pieces. I think Pittsburgh had less interesting pieces on their first cup run.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

Pens also had Fleury a much better goalie thanks Andersen

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Let’s be honest though. The leafs also have Nylander, Tavares, Barrie and Reilly as well as some other nice pieces. I think Pittsburgh had less interesting pieces on their first cup run.

Name one of those guys who can actually play defense.

The Leafs have just enough right now to sign Marner and not a cent more. They actually can't afford to sign Ceci. So their D as it stands is Reilly, Muzzin, Barrie and a bunch of < $1M players, with Muzzin and Barrie probably leaving at the end of the year. They lost Kadri and Marleau and replaced them with 36 y/o Spezza who will bring nothing to that team but injuries and turnovers. You cannot win with three $11M+ players. It just isn't going to work in Toronto.

I think they're following the Raptors' model and are going for it this year. Next year their D will be even worse and they'll be in the same cap problems as they are now. I don't know much about their prospects aside from Liljegren and Sandin, but Liljegren is draft year +2, he's not scoring goals, and was a minus player on what was a really good AHL team last season. They traded Rosen who led their d-men with 46 pts. They're in trouble and Dumas is doing whatever he can to keep their heads above water in Toronto.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 47 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 25 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 57 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum