GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th

+5
Flo The Action
wprager
tim1_2
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:57 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I think this gives Anderson flexibility to take off for a coupe days here and there. Condon was pretty good the first time Price went down; beat Ottawa once and lost in OT another time. Then when Price went down for good the team folded. It wasn't all Condon's fault. The team was not scoring.

Anyhow, he is not here to replace Anderson but to give him flexibility. Will we go into some games With Hammond/Condon? Yeah, probably. Maybe by that time Boucher's system will be firmly entrenched and you won't need superhuman goaltending to win a game here and there.

17Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:59 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Before the season's over they may trade him for another 5th rounder, if not better.

18Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:39 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:...from Pittsburgh according to Bobby Mac.

Might as well make a new thread for a transaction, no matter how small.

Threadworthy.

19Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:02 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
MarkStone wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Urghhhh. Smells of desperation. Every jabs fan is laughing their asses off. He's the rebound king.
This ain't gonna end well.

You can't be serious. they traded for a backup goalie to come in every now and then when needed.

Are you serious? I can't believe you are.
Because he's a crappy goalie and that 5th could be better utilized? I seriously wonder if driedger wouldn't be better suited. How is trading for a crappy back up a good idea?

I honestly can't imagine a better utilization of a 5th rounder than to get an NHL ready backup who can step in and provide stability at a time when the starter is out, backup is out, the team doesn't want to roll with the entire AHL goalie tandem (neither of whom seem ready), and the team is in a playoff spot early on. This is precisely what I want them to use 5th on. I mean, a stable presence at a time like this is almost invaluable. Rather than let the AHL team rot under Greenham and whoever they sign in a hurry, PD made a smart move. This will provide Anderson some assurances so that he can be where he's most needed and it doesn't take a chainsaw to every level of goaltending in the Sens system. And no, I don't think Condon is a world beater, but at league minimum salary he's really the only available option for a budget team like this. Pavelec and Fleury are way too expensive, have term, would create havoc with the budget, and would be MUCH more expensive to get. And then we'd probably end up losing one for nothing in the draft. 

So, in short, getting a stable presence is much more valuable than a pick that has about a 15% shot of making the league 5 years down the road. He's the stablest presence available at those dollars.

20Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
MarkStone wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Urghhhh. Smells of desperation. Every jabs fan is laughing their asses off. He's the rebound king.

You can't be serious. they traded for a backup goalie to come in every now and then when needed.

Because he's a crappy goalie and that 5th could be better utilized? I seriously wonder if driedger wouldn't be better suited. How is trading for a crappy back up a good idea?

I honestly can't imagine a better utilization of a 5th rounder than to get an NHL ready backup who can step in and provide stability at a time when the starter is out, backup is out, the team doesn't want to roll with the entire AHL goalie tandem (neither of whom seem ready), and the team is in a playoff spot early on. This is precisely what I want them to use 5th on. I mean, a stable presence at a time like this is almost invaluable. Rather than let the AHL team rot under Greenham and whoever they sign in a hurry, PD made a smart move. This will provide Anderson some assurances so that he can be where he's most needed and it doesn't take a chainsaw to every level of goaltending in the Sens system. And no, I don't think Condon is a world beater, but at league minimum salary he's really the only available option for a budget team like this. Pavelec and Fleury are way too expensive, have term, would create havoc with the budget, and would be MUCH more expensive to get. And then we'd probably end up losing one for nothing in the draft. 

So, in short, getting a stable presence is much more valuable than a pick that has about a 15% shot of making the league 5 years down the road. He's the stablest presence available at those dollars.
Sucks that this is a factor. Besides, I'm not sure those two are the only available options.

21Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:52 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
MarkStone wrote:

Sucks that this is a factor. Besides, I'm not sure those two are the only available options.

I'm not sure who else might be available. Who else do you think could have been had? And what do you expect each would cost? My guess is that your problem isn't that they traded a 5th to fill a MASSIVE hole, but that they chose the wrong guy. Is that accurate?

EDIT: Also, whether the budget is an issue or not, I hope you recognize that the cap space it would take to take on someone like the two guys I mentioned would be excessive. Honestly, I can't imagine a better (and quicker) solution to what could have been a massive problem. I for one think Dorion is the anti-Murray here. We all complained about how Murray never seemed to be willing to pull the trigger. I'm pleased that this GM isn't willing to wait, especially when it only costs a 5th to shore up a key position.

22Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
MarkStone wrote:

I'm not sure who else might be available. Who else do you think could have been had? And what do you expect each would cost? My guess is that your problem isn't that they traded a 5th to fill a MASSIVE hole, but that they chose the wrong guy. Is that accurate?

EDIT: Also, whether the budget is an issue or not, I hope you recognize that the cap space it would take to take on someone like the two guys I mentioned would be excessive. Honestly, I can't imagine a better (and quicker) solution to what could have been a massive problem. I for one think Dorion is the anti-Murray here. We all complained about how Murray never seemed to be willing to pull the trigger. I'm pleased that this GM isn't willing to wait, especially when it only costs a 5th to shore up a key position.
I definitely they took the wrong guy. I think the isles trying to get rid of halak could have been convinced to part ways with Greiss(cue ev complaining about the logic of that) or even Ryan miller in Vancouver I'm sure they would like to unload and even retain cash. Michael Neuvirth is said to be on the block for really cheap too and philly is dying to unload a contract and that to me is a better idea than this guy. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but this guy is said to be the rebound king.

23Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:16 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Greenham had one game, a bad one. But his AHL stats from previous years aren't bad and bring better.

24Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:35 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

All this talk of trying to trade for a better goalie is ridiculous. We just needed a plug for a few games, and we got that whole giving up pretty much nothing.

25Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:12 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

All we need is an impenetrable shield to stop unwanted ah nevermind.

26Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:22 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:All this talk of trying to trade for a better goalie is ridiculous. We just needed a plug for a few games, and we got that whole giving up pretty much nothing.
We have no idea how long Anderson will be gone for. Could be months.

27Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:25 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:All this talk of trying to trade for a better goalie is ridiculous. We just needed a plug for a few games, and we got that whole giving up pretty much nothing.

Even if it is months, there was a zero percent chance we were going to bring in anyone expensive, or with term (or both). Hammond has proven before he can carry a load over an extended period of time, so bringing in a cheap backup option who can also perform decently is exactly what we needed and exactly what we did.

28Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:15 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Even if it is months, there was a zero percent chance we were going to bring in anyone expensive, or with term (or both). Hammond has proven before he can carry a load over an extended period of time, so bringing in a cheap backup option who can also perform decently is exactly what we needed and exactly what we did.
Hammond had a half a season where he went hot. He's not proven anything since.
He didn't show much last year and didn't start the year great either.
He's a decent back-up. No more, no less.

29Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:17 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So who would you have traded for?

30Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:37 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hammond has had a string of injuries. Nickname should be changed to The Hamstringer.

31Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Mike Condon for a 5th Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:43 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hard to establish what he could have done last year for example. He's injured in camp so first game in he's quite rusty. He plays well after that but gets hit in the head with a puck a few times (including practice) and has a concussion.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum