GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+11
mattshock
DefenceWinsChampionships
SensHulk
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
Ev
spader
tim1_2
PTFlea
wprager
Flo The Action
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 31 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 63 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 59 of 67]

spader

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:Did anyone bother watching the all star? I got busy playing video games... yeah that was my level of interest in it.

Not me. Was it on GameCenter? I've been marking all weekend.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

5 dead in Quebec City mosque shooting. But no... the rise of legitimized xenophobia from elected official isn't legitimizing people from perpetrating these sorts of attack. Cussing hell. I've been abstaining from posting anything about trump but it's clear that having the sort of hate he's trying to instil in people is having this sort of effect. This is so demoralizing.

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:5 dead in Quebec City mosque shooting. But no... the rise of legitimized xenophobia from elected official isn't legitimizing people from perpetrating these sorts of attack. Cussing hell. I've been abstaining from posting anything about trump but it's clear that having the sort of hate he's trying to instil in people is having this sort of effect. This is so demoralizing.
You may want to wait for facts before characterizing this horrific tragedy as a result of Trumps actions.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:Did anyone bother watching the all star? I got busy playing video games... yeah that was my level of interest in it.

Nah.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:

Nah.

I watched the first game and eventually fell asleep. It was pretty bad, but that's normal.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It was on at the gym.

So I watched Letterkenny on my phone instead.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:5 dead in Quebec City mosque shooting. But no... the rise of legitimized xenophobia from elected official isn't legitimizing people from perpetrating these sorts of attack. Cussing hell. I've been abstaining from posting anything about trump but it's clear that having the sort of hate he's trying to instil in people is having this sort of effect. This is so demoralizing.
You may want to wait for facts before characterizing this horrific tragedy as a result of Trumps actions.

Maybe we can start a thread so that people who don't want to read about shootings can avoid this discussion in the General Hockey Talk thread?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:

Maybe we can start a thread so that people who don't want to read about shootings can avoid this discussion in the General Hockey Talk thread?

I think the Donald trump thread got taken down. I couldn't find it.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:

Looks like the facts are coming in
https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/quebec-mosque-attack-suspect-liked-trump-israeli-army-french-far-right

Liked trump, Lepaine and the party québécois. All have been propagating islamaphobia in their platform.

I assume the end picture won't be pretty.

Anyways, I'm going to the vigile. People need to demonstrate that this is not where we want our society to go.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Quebec has a long history of islamophobia, or even xenophobia. Long before Trump. Blaming it on the latest Boogeyman is a little like sweeping the problem under the rug.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Quebec has a long history of islamophobia, or even xenophobia. Long before Trump. Blaming it on the latest Boogeyman is a little like sweeping the problem under the rug.
It does have a long history and I'm not blaming it entirely on trump but I don't understand the apologist stance with trump. If you don't think having a president with an open anti immigration anti Muslim stance isn't giving the average nut job vindication over whatever actions he's wanting to undertake I don't know how you can miss it. it is signalling to them that to hold and act on these sentiments is an acceptable course of action.
You have the leader of arguable the most powerful nation trying to ban Muslims and even citizen Muslims from certain Muslim countries from entering the country. It is going to influence others to take up their own measures to address what they are seeing as a problem. Racism and xenophobia has always been omnipresent in Quebec. But it is not suprising that there is always a rise in aggression after large political events supporting these measures. Like the Quebec charter brought out the nut jobs, now trump's violation of rights is another. People aren't becoming racist over night but they are feeling vindicated by these recent events.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Back to hockey.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-30/brooklyn-s-barclays-center-said-to-be-dumping-the-islanders

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Also, totally unrelated (or is it) but Bettman denied that Hurricanes are moving to Quebec City. Just like Atlanta was totally not moving to Winnipeg.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Also, totally unrelated (or is it) but Bettman denied that Hurricanes are moving to Quebec City. Just like Atlanta was totally not moving to Winnipeg.

That would be great for Quebec City as they have some good young players.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I wonder how Quebec City would change things in realigning the divisions. Somehow I think floridas teams should probably be in the métropolitain division. Would it shift Pittsburg into the Atlantic?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Can you guys take the political and current events to a different thread so I can totally ignore it (here)? Thanks.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Can you guys take the political and current events to a different thread so I can totally ignore it (here)? Thanks.

Hear hear.  Cheers

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Did anyone post this yet? The Isles are gonna be homeless. 

After two years and countless complaints, Brooklyn’s Barclays Center has concluded it’s no longer worth it to host the New York Islanders.
The arena, which is already home to the NBA’s Nets and one of the world’s top-grossing concert venues, would make more money without the National Hockey League team, according to people familiar with the facility’s financials.
Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov, who owns the building and the Nets, has since November been seeking an investor to take a stake in both. As of earlier this month, a financial projection shared with potential investors showed the Islanders won’t contribute any revenue after the 2018-19 season -- a clear signal that the team won’t play there, the people said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-30/brooklyn-s-barclays-center-said-to-be-dumping-the-islanders

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 59 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 31 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 63 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum