GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+15
SensHulk
Flo The Action
Oglethorpe
SeawaySensFan
Ev
rooneypoo
wprager
tim1_2
LeCaptain
dennycrane
PTFlea
spader
Hoags
shabbs
NEELY
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 66 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:LeBrun: Flyers announce Max Talbot out with a broken left leg. The injury hits just keep on coming for that team.

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/318717763126435840

Just read that. Why don't they just pack it in. They're not making the post-season. Who do they left that is (a) healthy and, (b) does not have a NMC/NTC, and (c) on a reasonable contract?

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:Russian player dies from a head shot in a league game, leaves behind a pregnant wife and a young daughter.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/2013/03/31/20699801.html

I know it's not the KHL, so not in the spotlight, but this was kinda buried on canoe.ca's sports page. Top item, of course, was that basketball player's compound fracture injury, but then Crosby's broken jaw, Milbury blaming the Redwings' wives for their slow start, couple baseball stories, curling and then this one. We recently heard about the paralyzed player in the Swiss league, and now this. If the NHL thinks they are somehow immune they are fooling themselves. It's just a matter of time.

Some more on this. Apparently after the hit he played a couple more shifts, but then started feeling worse, so he changed and went home (drove himself). Later that night his conditioned worsened and he lost consciousness. His wife called an ambulance and he died in hospital. Earlier reports said he arrived at hospital already in a coma. Preliminary indications are that the cerebral hemorrhage was the result of the hit.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Smid staying in Edmonton. 4 years at $3.5M AAV.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Solid signing for the Oilers.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
wprager wrote:Russian player dies from a head shot in a league game, leaves behind a pregnant wife and a young daughter.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/2013/03/31/20699801.html

I know it's not the KHL, so not in the spotlight, but this was kinda buried on canoe.ca's sports page. Top item, of course, was that basketball player's compound fracture injury, but then Crosby's broken jaw, Milbury blaming the Redwings' wives for their slow start, couple baseball stories, curling and then this one. We recently heard about the paralyzed player in the Swiss league, and now this. If the NHL thinks they are somehow immune they are fooling themselves. It's just a matter of time.

Some more on this. Apparently after the hit he played a couple more shifts, but then started feeling worse, so he changed and went home (drove himself). Later that night his conditioned worsened and he lost consciousness. His wife called an ambulance and he died in hospital. Earlier reports said he arrived at hospital already in a coma. Preliminary indications are that the cerebral hemorrhage was the result of the hit.

That is extremely sad and freaky. Hope the family he left behind gets the necessary support. NHL has had it's own share of close calls (zednik injury, fischer collapsing) so it definitely isn't immune to it. Something like this is especially freaky because it seemed so innocent, but I'll admit to not knowing all the details.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Oilers are on a roll (so are the BJs). Should be an insane finish in the West.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hah!

LA Kings ‏@LAKings wrote:

Be wary of any insiderr tradess and rumorss; not because its April 1st, but because they are usuallyy wrongg.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:Oilers are on a roll (so are the BJs). Should be an insane finish in the West.

The standings are so tight across the board. I think only Florida, Calgary, and Colorado are legitimately on the outside looking in. The other 27 teams are in the mix, to varying degrees.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:4-6 weeks for Crosby according to an "impeccable" source. Will play in May.

"Impeccable source: Crosby 4-6 wks. Will play in May."

https://twitter.com/Steigerworld/status/318514800411951104

Don't see how he is out 4-6 weeks without having it wired shut. Typically if you have surgery to fix your jaw, it's wired shut and it takes a month. This is consistent with the 4-6 weeks, but not with the "not wired shut" tweet.

In any case, 4-6 weeks is pretty big at this point in the season. Of course, this is Crosby, he'll come back and start scoring at a 3PPG pace.

Weird. With your medical training, I'd assume you would know exactly how long each player should be out. I don't see how you're not able to accurately diagnose the players and establish an ETA from your couch. Sarcasm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:4-6 weeks for Crosby according to an "impeccable" source. Will play in May.

Don't see how he is out 4-6 weeks without having it wired shut. Typically if you have surgery to fix your jaw, it's wired shut and it takes a month. This is consistent with the 4-6 weeks, but not with the "not wired shut" tweet.

In any case, 4-6 weeks is pretty big at this point in the season. Of course, this is Crosby, he'll come back and start scoring at a 3PPG pace.

Weird. With your medical training, I'd assume you would know exactly how long each player should be out. I don't see how you're not able to accurately diagnose the players and establish an ETA from your couch. Sarcasm

I do a little reading in my spare time. And not just other posters here. I did my research, did you? Me saying "*I* don't see how he is out 4-6 weeks" means exactly that. Based on *my* research (which, admittedly, was just looking around on the internet), any time you have surgery to repair the jaw, and are out 4-6 weeks, it pretty much implies the mouth is wired.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:

I do a little reading in my spare time. And not just other posters here. I did my research, did you? Me saying "*I* don't see how he is out 4-6 weeks" means exactly that. Based on *my* research (which, admittedly, was just looking around on the internet), any time you have surgery to repair the jaw, and are out 4-6 weeks, it pretty much implies the mouth is wired.

I'm sure we're not getting every single detail of what surgery is needed. He's got jaw work, dental work and from what I hear, follow-up dental work coming... so who knows.

Unless you're a medical doctor that specializes in this area... it's all guessing.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It's not *just* guessing. It's trying to make connection between things we know (or think we know) and extrapolating from there. I never pretended to know that his jaw is wired shut, but I was very surprised (and still will be) if it's not, given what we do know, and what I'd read.

And, hey, without guessing, there's no way I could be a "MR".

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:

Why would I need to do research? I'm not the one questioning medical professionals. Laugh1
General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 66 Sticker,375x360 Sarcasm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Gee, I didn't think that Shero was a medical professional.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Gee, I didn't think that Shero was a medical professional.

He isn't, but he doesn't make the diagnosis. He just delivers it to the public. Beer

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Prager:
General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 66 Dr-nick

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Hartnell celebrating that divorce payments to his ex are over:

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 66 FDFSAFDSASADFFSADSADF

Mike Richards chimes in:

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 66 SAFSSADFSAD

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

man Carolina are dead in the water without Ward. that's a team that might want to consider someone like Bishop. whatever else they're using isn't working so well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 66 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum