GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

RIP victims of the Dark Knight Rises Colorado tragedy

+7
wprager
spader
sens4win
NEELY
PTFlea
shabbs
Riprock
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

So I went to a midnight showing of the Dark Knight Rises with a friend at Empire in Kanata, the first legal showing of the film. It was for many a time for fun, and watching the final movie of a trilogy wrapping up an epic series that, itself, has had its tragedy.

When I woke up this morning I saw the news that in Colorado, many fans like myself who went to a premiere with intent to have fun, turned into a night of tragedy and terror, when a young man decided to use it as a platform for his own fulfillment of a twisted murdering spree.

A dozen or so people lost their lives, including a young female who I didn't know of until today, who was quite popular in social media and the sports blogging world. The loss of her life and the other 11's are awful. I just can't imagine your final moments coming like this on a night that should be of fun and celebration.

Nothing said or done can change the situation or make the families and friends of the victims feel any better. I just hope that justice is served.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Unbelievable set of events out in Colorado. 14 people dead, 50 injured... crazy. They have the attacker in custody and are searching his house, which seems to be loaded with explosives.

Thoughts go out to all the victims and their loved ones.

#RIPJessica is trending on Twitter as she was one of the victims last night and is an NHL reporter. Very eery to read her tweets now.

https://twitter.com/JessicaRedfield

Very sad.... very sad.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Very sad.

I feel badly for everyone involved, but putting a face to the name with Jessica Redfield makes it even more tragic.

She was involved in the shooting in Toronto as well where Brett Lawrie was closeby, so she's seen her fair share of violence.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Her last tweet actually made me feel physically ill.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:Her last tweet actually made me feel physically ill.

Me too.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

#Aurora is trending, clearly about our Kim K inspired #Aurora dress Wink Shop:

@celebboutique

I let these tools know how I felt about that tweet.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:#Aurora is trending, clearly about our Kim K inspired #Aurora dress Wink Shop:

@celebboutique

They are hearing it! WOW. That was a bad move... much like Ashton Kucher's Joe Pa comments.

sens4win

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:#Aurora is trending, clearly about our Kim K inspired #Aurora dress Wink Shop:

@celebboutique

They are hearing it! WOW. That was a bad move... much like Ashton Kucher's Joe Pa comments.
Then after they find out they start talking about #fabulousfriday and what your weekend plans are Facepalm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

sens4win wrote:
shabbs wrote:

@celebboutique

Then after they find out they start talking about #fabulousfriday and what your weekend plans are Facepalm
Gotta be so careful on Twitter... people react fast and before you know it... you're all over the internet...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Unfortunately like it seems with every tragedy, people use it as a platform for their own political agenda.

Lots of political propaganda now about firearm bans, and censorship. Apparently the accused perpetrator told police he was The Joker.

You know how people always say "guns don't kill people, people kill people" - well, it's true of course - without someone pulling the trigger, the gun is ineffective. Lots of people own guns, for many reasons - the difference is only a small percentage of people that own legal forearms use them for the wrong reasons.

You can ban anything you want, it won't sto pit. Most firearms used for murders are illegal anyways. How did prohibition work out? You ban alcohol, people will still find a way to get it.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Here in TO, one councillor (Adam Vaughn) has been pushing for a ban on bullets. I'm mean really. We have bans for pretty much everything, they don't help. More cops, more enforcement, way harsher crimes, more raids, more pressure... gotta make these guys think twice.

There is talk of a "stop and frisk" rule to let Cops search "suspect youth" to see if they have illegal weapons. NY has done this and they say it's been a huge success. That's getting into a grey area with civil rights, profiling etc... and will cause a big debate.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I only know about NY doing that from an episode of 30 Rock. They started that after 9/11 right? And it applies to everyone, and is similar to "random" airport security checks.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Riprock wrote:Apparently the accused perpetrator told police he was The Joker.

Holy cow, this Dungball didn't kill himself?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

No he apparently walked out of the theatre and stood outside, armed, and waited to be arrested.

These tragedies are an unfortunate catch-22: the people often do it, not just because they are insane, but also because they want the attention and infamy; but with out media attention, many of us wouldn't know.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Riprock wrote:I only know about NY doing that from an episode of 30 Rock. They started that after 9/11 right? And it applies to everyone, and is similar to "random" airport security checks.

Yeah, if you're looking suspicious and hanging on a corner in a bad area in the wee hours of the night or whenever... the cops can walk up, question you and if they don't like your answers, they can frisk you. Doesn't matter your colour, but you know certain areas will be targeted that are known for "bad activity". If Toronto tries to do something like that, it will have a lot of push back from various groups. But given the violence escalation lately and the success in NY, it may have legs.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum