GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Reviewing Ottawa's Draft

+10
sandysensfan
Flo The Action
spader
Hoags
wprager
Ev
SensHulk
stempniaksen
NEELY
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:45 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:What an awesome draft. I too am getting quite excited at the prospects of Noesan becoming a steal in this draft. Hope he can pan out like we all hope he does (Corey Perry?). The campoli and Kelly trades were really underrated at the time.

Furthermore, all three (including Zib if he doesn't make the team...which I don't think he will) will have an excellent chance at winning gold at the world Jrs. In fact, we can guarantee that at least the three will fight tooth and nail and go far in the tourney. Shane Prince should also get a look from the Americans.

It'll be interesting to watch Noesen develop. Does he turn into a Perry lite, or does he turn into a role playing 3rd liner who can be a nasty shutdown guy with a little offense? Same with Puempel, he scored 34 in 55 last year, this year if he's healthy, does he exceed that? Can Prince maintain his level without Toffoli and Martindale? Z-Bad if he plays outside NA will be intriguing to watch - and maybe most importantly, can Silfverberg kill it in the SEL?

17Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

stempniaksen wrote:
NEELY wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:I know all the hype is around the guys we drafted/acquired in the last couple of months, but after watching Silfverberg he may be the guy I'm most intruiged by. I like him more as a winger than a center though, that's for sure. Would be great if he decided to come over this year.

I would agree with this. I'll call it now, Calder winner in 2012/13. The kid is that good.

2012/2013 may be tough because that's when I think RNH/Schenn/Couturier/ibanejad/ect will make the jump. That being said this year almost seems weaker in terms of top end forward talent and I think he could make a real push this year if things fell into place. Regardless, we obviously have quite the similar view of him and his abilities to become a big-time winger.

Yeah he'll probably have too much competition. Don't forget about Yakupov, Huberdeau, etc.

18Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:13 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Found a prospect ranking more in line with my tastes and expectations:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1012

Ottawa is ranked 4th; Toronto 11th.

19Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:40 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Found a prospect ranking more in line with my tastes and expectations:

That's a good one although this comment is puzzling:

I'm not as high on Nikita Filatov as I once was, but he's an elite talent and a great risk for the price he was had at

What risk ???

20Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:44 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:
wprager wrote:Found a prospect ranking more in line with my tastes and expectations:

That's a good one although this comment is puzzling:

I'm not as high on Nikita Filatov as I once was, but he's an elite talent and a great risk for the price he was had at

What risk ???

I raised an eyebrow as well. I think it's just poorly worded. I think he means it was an excellent risk to take (because the risk part of the deal is so minor and the potential upside so great).

21Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:17 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

He meant that is a great (as in "good", not "huge") risk to take.

22Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:32 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Trying not to take every prospect/draft report into account, but reading the general buzz from people who watch the OHL religiously, perhaps we drafted our very own versions of Getzlaf/Perry with Zibanejad/Noesen.

23Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

well that should end the ongoing debate about which team is deeper in prospects?

so much to be said for BM and his staff. if we have a bad year next year we maybe very well fall into the top 3 after the draft.
maybe I'll get BM"s face tattooed in a few years Sarcasm

there's so many different projections for noesan that it's hard to tell what the real projection is? what's correy-lite anyways? gritty player that can score 30 instead of 50??? 65 pts potential??? or maybe he'll be that kelly type of player but with better hands.

24Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:17 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:

well that should end the ongoing debate about which team is deeper in prospects?

so much to be said for BM and his staff. if we have a bad year next year we maybe very well fall into the top 3 after the draft.

there's so many different projections for noesan that it's hard to tell what the real projection is? what's correy-lite anyways? gritty player that can score 30 instead of 50??? 65 pts potential??? or maybe he'll be that kelly type of player but with better hands.

Toronto was/is re-building under ol' Burkie. Why would they then trade away two first round picks and a 2nd round pick during re-building years for one player. Yes Kessel is a good player.. but they ended up trading the 2nd overall & 9th overall picks. Was that wise?

25Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:36 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:

After that last draft, Ottawa's above everyone in the league except Florida and the Isles IMO. Even then it's close. If we have another draft like we did, we should be able to stay the same, maybe down a bit because Rundblad and Cowen will be graduated.

As for Noesen, I think that's his ceiling, yeah. Who knows for sure, but I'd say he should be able to be a 20 goal guy no matter what and his upside is a 30-35/60-65 point guy.

26Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:49 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

After that last draft, Ottawa's above everyone in the league except Florida and the Isles IMO. Even then it's close. If we have another draft like we did, we should be able to stay the same, maybe down a bit because Rundblad and Cowen will be graduated.

As for Noesen, I think that's his ceiling, yeah. Who knows for sure, but I'd say he should be able to be a 20 goal guy no matter what and his upside is a 30-35/60-65 point guy.

I'd also put EDM and BOS way up there.

27Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:24 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Nod

28Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:54 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Hard to say if Edmonton is better in terms of prospects. Paajarvi, Hall, Omark, etc are all roster players right now, so they're not technically 'prospects'.

Wiercioch, Rundblad, Cowen, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Lehner, Caporusso, Noesen, Puempel, Gryba, and Stone are all 'prospects' having played no to a few games in the NHL/AHL while Butler, Condra, Greening, Smith are going to get their first taste of full-time NHL hockey this year. Also, huge rebound year for Foligno, Gonchar, Phillips and Regin.

I'm excited Sens fans. I don't see this rebuild taking as long as many project. We're set in nets, our D is capable, and our offense is young but will be there in 2-3 years.

29Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:56 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

sandysensfan wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Toronto was/is re-building under ol' Burkie. Why would they then trade away two first round picks and a 2nd round pick during re-building years for one player. Yes Kessel is a good player.. but they ended up trading the 2nd overall & 9th overall picks. Was that wise?

It's wise if you surround that player with talent. Similar to Heatley, Kessel needs someone to get him the puck. They have Connolly now which is one thing, but getting him 2 years after the Kessel trade made the Bruins that much better.

30Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:57 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Hard to say if Edmonton is better in terms of prospects. Paajarvi, Hall, Omark, etc are all roster players right now, so they're not technically 'prospects'.

Wiercioch, Rundblad, Cowen, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Lehner, Caporusso, Noesen, Puempel, Gryba, and Stone are all 'prospects' having played no to a few games in the NHL/AHL while Butler, Condra, Greening, Smith are going to get their first taste of full-time NHL hockey this year. Also, huge rebound year for Foligno, Gonchar, Phillips and Regin.

I'm excited Sens fans. I don't see this rebuild taking as long as many project. We're set in nets, our D is capable, and our offense is young but will be there in 2-3 years.

And let's not forget that Filatov has a lot to prove as well

31Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:46 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Not a huge fan of Boston's outside of Dougie Hamilton. People overrate Spooner, and Knight is OK.

32Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:03 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, not Boston really. The Kings might be there, but losing Schenn hurts a lot.

Not really Edmonton either, they're in the same position as we will be next year, a lot of their young players are already graduated to the NHL level.

33Reviewing Ottawa's Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: Reviewing Ottawa's Draft Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

HockeyProspectus is up to the Devils in their latest top-10 prospect rankings:
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1034

The Devils are ranked 17th in their organization rankings. There's only one name I recognize in there -- Larsson. I know I have generally shallow knowledge of prospects, but I usually know 1 or 2. Larsson was *just* taken, which means I know nothing beyond this year's draft.

Anyhow, the order is sort-of alphabetical (although the New Jersey Devils should have been right after Nashville, before the two New York teams) and I assume the next team will be the Rangers (on Monday) and then Ottawa (on Wednesday).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum