GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gary Roberts new digs as Stars player development consultant

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=337470

Great move by Joey N.

Now we can start a whole new round of "the Sens shoulda signed Roberts."

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

spader wrote:http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=337470

Great move by Joey N.

Now we can start a whole new round of "the Sens shoulda signed Roberts."

Gary Roberts' fitness regiments are world class. Anyone know who the Sens have in that specific role? Tony Greco?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

A few of the players train with Greco in the off-season. My neighbor is a competitor of Greco's, so his comments may be slightly biased, but he believes Greco's footbal background makes for very poor hockey training. Remember when Fisher started the pre-season with a pulled groin and never really got going the rest of the year? He blamed that on Greco.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:A few of the players train with Greco in the off-season. My neighbor is a competitor of Greco's, so his comments may be slightly biased, but he believes Greco's footbal background makes for very poor hockey training. Remember when Fisher started the pre-season with a pulled groin and never really got going the rest of the year? He blamed that on Greco.

I don't know what the regiments are specifically, but I know that a lot of high caliber football and hockey athletes do a ton of training with superbands, kettle balls, medicine balls and suspensions.

So I know that there is in fact a correlation between training certain muscle groups the same way, especially to increase foot speed and agility.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The skating motion is completely different from football, though. In football you run by pushing off with the toe of your foot; in hockey you push off almost sideways, with the inside edge of your sole. Unless you're in figure skates Smile

True, like with any sports, there is a huge amount of overlap -- all the core muscle groups, for one, and training regimens have an aerobic component. But there is a very large difference between which of the other muscle groups are used.

Just because they use similar training apparatus does not mean the training is all that similar.

More specifically, Fisher pulled his groin -- that's a muscle that is used much, much more often in hockey because of the skating motion.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:The skating motion is completely different from football, though. In football you run by pushing off with the toe of your foot; in hockey you push off almost sideways, with the inside edge of your sole. Unless you're in figure skates Smile

True, like with any sports, there is a huge amount of overlap -- all the core muscle groups, for one, and training regimens have an aerobic component. But there is a very large difference between which of the other muscle groups are used.

Just because they use similar training apparatus does not mean the training is all that similar.

More specifically, Fisher pulled his groin -- that's a muscle that is used much, much more often in hockey because of the skating motion.

But not everyone in football is running. Linebackers for instance are using a side-to-side sweep of their feet - almost like a shuffle. The QB needs to have nimble feet so that he can move around in the pocket or get away from a sack. Training your fast-twitch muscles, needed for explosive maneuvering, are the same across the board.

Doing leg presses, squats, lunges, offset lunges, weighted splits, deadlifts, inverted rows, leg raises, standing/seated calf raises, hamstring curls, hip adductors/abductions, power cleans...it's all the same across both sports.

But the groin, I don't know about that. There's only really one exercise that targets the groin specifically and that's the hip adductors/abductions. And you usually get a groin injury from not stretching out properly before and after your work out or by having a bad technique when lifting heavy weights especially during the deadlifts, lunges and squats - most guys tend to round out their back which puts a lot of pressure on the front side of your hips.

But I find it hard to believe that a professional athlete wouldn't know the proper lifting techniques. So it could have been an issue with warming up and stretching or just plain overuse.

Tough to really pin that kind of thing on a training program because the athlete has to know their own body and its' limits.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum