GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT: Preseason #6 - TML @ OTT - 29/09/2010 - 7:30pm

+16
Hobiesens
asq2
sens4win
PKC
LeCaptain
Devo
shabbs
SensHulk
Flo The Action
Riprock
Ev
PTFlea
SensGirl11
wprager
SeawaySensFan
The Silfer Server
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 13]

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

I think they'll see how he bounces back from this. If he's consistently messing up then yeah he'll go back to Spokane. I didn't get the impression he was making rookie mistakes every game he was in so far.

Safe to say they expect some mistakes from the guy, Karlsson made mistakes last year and will this year as well.

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

Interesting, didn't realize he was that bad yesterday. Just saw the highlights and that was pretty bad on the first two goals. Like I said, I do think he needs time in the juniors, but I think the sens brass, even after a game like that, will still give him a few games. Perhaps it won't be all 9 games.

EDIT: And foligno missed a wide open net!!! First a post and then that Facepalm

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:Interesting, didn't realize he was that bad yesterday. Just saw the highlights and that was pretty bad on the first two goals. Like I said, I do think he needs time in the juniors, but I think the sens brass, even after a game like that, will still give him a few games. Perhaps it won't be all 9 games.

If Cowen's problem is adapting to the speed of the NHL game how is he going to learn that in the WHL ?

If he's a liability on the ice and will cost us games then yes send him back, if this game destroyed his confidence send him back as well. But if he shows good progress in adapting ... I don't know. How high is the bar set for him out of training camp ?

I don't think the Sens have started work on systems yet either so I'm not sure if Clouston can rate Cowen's "coachability" either.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Piece of crap rule making Cowen go back to Junior. That sucks, he needs AHL experience - not to mention he and Gryba could play together, or he and Hale or he and Wiercioch.

Damn. Dammit!

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

mickbud wrote:
PKC wrote:
mickbud wrote:
I think it's definitely the speed that is effecting him, he still needs some time to adjust. And Spez, I realize he needs a good poke check, he just needs to be better at picking his spots, shouldn't be fishing with one hand on your stick along the boards, use your body buddy.

See, I disagree. He's making mental mistakes that shouldn't be made. Clearing the puck off glass is an instinctual reaction in that situation. And puck-watching is another mental mistake. I don't think either have anything to do with adjusting to NHL speed. I'm not saying the Leafs would for sure, 100%, not have scored on those plays. But at the very least, if he clears the puck off glass on the first goal, then that play doesn't develop. And it's hard to say either way what would happen next. But we know for sure, in that instance, that specific play wouldn't have resulted in a goal.

On the second goal, who knows. It's tough to say either way. Although if he's in better position. Or if he picks up Kadri cutting through the circles to the net maybe he gets there in time to block/deflect a shot. Maybe it closes off the passing lane. Maybe Kadri gets to it either way and makes a great move on him. I don't know. But he never gave himself the chance to make a play. He essentially never got involved in the play until it was far, far, far too late.

Sorry, I was sort of using your statement about speed to defend my statement about poke checks. I agree, that is definitely a mental error, but it sort of involves adjusting to the speed, he's trying to think quicker because he knows someone is going to be right on his tail if he doesn't move that puck quickly...when he begins to realize he doesn't have to be jumpy, that's when he'll start making those better decisions.

Puck watchin is a mental mistake, no question, but it's made by a lot of younger players, definitely not a reason to worry about the kid though.

Oh, I don't want you guys to think I have a hate-on for the guy. I think he'll eventually be an above-average NHLer. But I don't think he should be on the team this year if he's going to make these kinds of simple mental mistakes. Clearing the puck off glass and puck-watching are things that show he's just not paying attention as much as he should, either because he isn't mentally prepared for the NHL yet or because he's still rusty from having such a long lay-off from competitive hockey due to his knee injuries. I happen to think it's the latter.

The thing is, if you head-to-head compare him with Weircioch, yes they are different defensemen on paper (offensive vs defensive). But Weircioch appears to be more aware of the play. He seems to be using hockey smarts to his advantage. Plus it also helps that his skating is considerably better than Cowen's right now.

So, if you're Sens management you gotta ask yourself this question: what's easier to do a) improve Cowen's mental concentration and instincts through conditioning and repetition with a 9 game window or b) put Weircioch on a specific diet and get him in the gym five days a week (as the only current knock against him seems to be his strength)?

To me, it looks like PW is the closest of the two to being a regular on the blue line because all he's lacking is a good workout routine and strength/conditioning regimes. Cowen will make the team next year. I think PW will make it this year and improve astronomically. He's already thinking the game at this speed. He'll have a ton of time in the AHL to develop physically and eventually will most likely join the team down the stretch for the playoff run.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The whole team was flat in the first half of the game... it was horrendous. No one was taking the body. Cowen had a real brain fart on that 1st goal. He had a week clearing attempt so it never made it out and then Kulemin just danced around him as he flailed and managed to flip it up over Leclaire who was going the other way. A really bad sequence of events for the kid... and I'm sure he was feeling it after that.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I really doubt that Cowen won't get at least 9 games...they would have probably sent him back already if they were'nt at least going to audition him in the regular season.

To be honest, I think he's not fully ready for the NHL but I think he might stay the whole year anyway.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

111519 wrote:Why does Gonchar back right up onto his own goalie and not challenge the shooter?

Why does Leclair flop around so damn much

And the reffing, give me a break, 3 totaly made up calls and the no calls when leclair gets run in to and karlsson gets cross checked from behind. The bias is so obvious its disgusting.

Wiercoch has impressed me more than Cowen so far. Cowen better grow some toughness pretty soon.
yeah i agree, leclaire hasn't been the picture of soud positioning in net so far. he lets goals in but all goalies do. what i haven't see so much are the really bad goals from last year. where the shooter is coming straight for the net, shoots and leclaire misses it. so far leclaire has been getting those and that's a small relief. the season is very young, and once we pack our full D we should be much better in front of pascale... even for 19 shots.

as for cowen... i haven't seen what everyone is so esxited about, to me he looks a little slow. i agree that he's doen in junior and it won't help him to go back but since he can't play in the AHL, what can you do? hope he refines his game in the next 10 games? i sure hope so. i did notice his awareness defendingin front of the net. i like that. maybe as a 5th or 6th D he can do the year, and maybe he'll breakout mid season.IMO murray would love to keep him in ottawa if he could since we don't stand to strong in defencive D's.

Sophomore
Sophomore

Seriously if the only reason we should keep Cowen up here instead of Wiercoch is toughness, I'm not seeing it. I have not seen Cowen once use his size to influence the play or stand up for his team.

If you were 6'5 220lbs, and trying to make it into the NHL wouldn't you be hitting and fighting a bit?

He just really needs to show some toughness to make up for some of the other defficiencies.

Wiercoch is the better hockey player right now, just not physically ready.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cowen may not be ready for the NHL, but Paajarvi sure is! Sarcasm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Big Ev wrote:Cowen may not be ready for the NHL, but Paajarvi sure is! Sarcasm
Here we go...

Wink

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:Cowen may not be ready for the pre-season, but Paajarvi sure is! Sarcasm

FYP

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Cowen may not be ready for the NHL, but Paajarvi sure is! Sarcasm
Here we go...

Wink

Uh-oh!!! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i have to agree there... i'm not sure if over time we might win this one...

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Had no idea Kovalev fought Darcy Tucker in 2006:

(this is an awesome move)

I kinda take back some of the things I said about him, wish he was like that here.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum