GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ovechkin -- Russian for "Grapes"?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ovechkin -- Russian for "Grapes"? Empty Ovechkin -- Russian for "Grapes"? Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:29 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

This kid's as opinionated as Cherry and not afraid to speak it either.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Ovechkin-takes-on-his-critics-fights-system-in-?urn=nhl-264146

He thinks he has a good shot. Weird. His shooting percentage is horrawful. He shoots from anywhere and he shoots hard, but he does not have a good shot. He has a good release, maybe, but he's not Alex Kovalev at threading that needle.

The KHL is a distant second to the NHL. It's moving in the right direction but there's literally 2-3 teams that can be competitive in the NHL, and the rest are no point in comparing the two leagues now.

Money is everything in Russian youth hockey. Parents bribe coaches/officials to get them to play their kids. And it's started happening on the National team as well.

He had this to say about players whose style he likes:
When I was young, my father and I additionally went to train with Alexander Maltsev. He showed me what I had to do, he entrusted me with what he knew. And to name players against who I play... I am so selfish, I am not going to say anything. I'd better keep my opinion. Everyone is a good player: Kovalchuk, Sema [Alexander Semin] is very good, golden hands... But I will keep my opinion [to myself].

I have no idols, I am the only person.

Wow, his command of the English language rivals Cherry's.

2Ovechkin -- Russian for "Grapes"? Empty Re: Ovechkin -- Russian for "Grapes"? Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:55 am

Bribery. Wow. Still, the Russians must be doing something right to produce the quality players they are.

3Ovechkin -- Russian for "Grapes"? Empty Re: Ovechkin -- Russian for "Grapes"? Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:23 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Interesting comments...but who cares if his shooting percentage is crap, he has one of the best shots in the league!!!

4Ovechkin -- Russian for "Grapes"? Empty Re: Ovechkin -- Russian for "Grapes"? Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:02 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:Interesting comments...but who cares if his shooting percentage is crap, he has one of the best shots in the league!!!

I guess it depends on your definition of what is a "good shot". To me, a great shot should result in a good shooting percentage. He is certainly the most prolific shooter in the league. Maybe that means he has an amazing (quick) release or that he is just so strong that he can get a hard shot from any angle. But he doesn't have an accurate shot.

5Ovechkin -- Russian for "Grapes"? Empty Re: Ovechkin -- Russian for "Grapes"? Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:55 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

He just shoots a lot, that doesn't mean his shot isn't accurate...watch some of his goals from the playoffs against Pittsburgh last year (2009) and you'll find some examples...and I actually hate Ovechkin lol

Side note, for some reason this Robin Lehner avatar makes me sound like a dick in all my posts (from my point of view anyway, lol).

6Ovechkin -- Russian for "Grapes"? Empty Re: Ovechkin -- Russian for "Grapes"? Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:38 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Much less dickish now Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum