GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Former players see big changes in NHL when it comes to bodychecks

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/32294-Former-players-see-a-big-change-in-NHL-when-it-comes-to-bodychecks.html

Interesting article, Clark brings up some good points about players growing up with better equipment and becoming fearless in the process. He also brings up an indictment on the game itself, and the coaches that demand players play a certain way:

Clark was known for playing a tough brand of hockey and thinks most coaches are now demanding that from guys right through the lineup.

"If you don't play that way, you get sent to the minors because that's the way the game is," he said. "That's why I don't blame players and question their respect for each other - you're either making $75,000 (in the AHL) or $600,000 (in the NHL).

"You're playing for you job, you're not playing (to show) how nice you are."

The headline is a little misleading, because only Clark is quoted (not players).

He brings up a really good point about players growing up fearlessly because of the equipment. Hockey players are practically wearing suits of armour these days. I'd like to see a scaling back on equipment as a first step. Go back to padded pads for the elbows and shoulder especially as opposed to these hard plastic pads. It's like wearing a weapon.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

hemlock wrote:He brings up a really good point about players growing up fearlessly because of the equipment. Hockey players are practically wearing suits of armour these days. I'd like to see a scaling back on equipment as a first step. Go back to padded pads for the elbows and shoulder especially as opposed to these hard plastic pads. It's like wearing a weapon.

You would have to scale back the sticks too. Blocking a 100+ mph shot with the soft padded shoulder pads would be a disaster. Even skates could be a danger at that point.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Blocking shots with your shoulders will be a disaster, I agree. Pads or not.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Blocking shots with your shoulders will be a disaster, I agree. Pads or not.

Not necesarilly on purpose, but shots go off elbows and shoulders all the time.

I'm sure these pads were originally developped for safety reasons, not for crugin your opponent through the boards.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Imagine if all the players wore full cages that were done up properly as they were meant to be?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:Imagine if all the players wore full cages that were done up properly as they were meant to be?

Parrish the thought of no more eye injuries or broken jaws.

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Dash wrote:Imagine if all the players wore full cages that were done up properly as they were meant to be?

Parrish the thought of no more eye injuries or broken jaws.

Larry or Lance?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum