GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New PS3 Owners Thread

+15
sens4win
Tuk Tuk
Cap'n Clutch
Hoags
smash88
shabbs
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
Riprock
SeawaySensFan
SDH89
beedub
caissie_1
SensHulk
wprager
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 12]

46New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:46 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Well good for you. I want this blu ray thing to take off so I'll encourage everyone to try it out. But please don't buy any movies over $25. I want to teach those idiots a lesson. Just because something is a little nicer, doesn't mean that I magically will get a raise from my boss to pay for it. I had to spend $2200 for an HDTV and another $400 for the PS3. I've paid my dues. I want older movies for $10 or less regardless of format. I saw The Fifth Element marked down (heh) to $23. It's a 12 year old movie, and the BD release doesn't even have any special features. None at all.

47New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:04 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Speaking of which:

The BIble:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/blu-ray-deals-forrest-gump-9-99-sigs-updated-12-29-09-a-715189/

Plus huge sale on amazon.ca at the moment.

48New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:22 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Well good for you. I want this blu ray thing to take off so I'll encourage everyone to try it out.
I took the red pill... I'm still bitter... I'll only bite when I'm good and ready.

Tantrum

49New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:57 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Well good for you. I want this blu ray thing to take off so I'll encourage everyone to try it out. But please don't buy any movies over $25. I want to teach those idiots a lesson. Just because something is a little nicer, doesn't mean that I magically will get a raise from my boss to pay for it. I had to spend $2200 for an HDTV and another $400 for the PS3. I've paid my dues. I want older movies for $10 or less regardless of format. I saw The Fifth Element marked down (heh) to $23. It's a 12 year old movie, and the BD release doesn't even have any special features. None at all.

Yeh I agree the blue ray dvd's are quite expensive... I wont buy to many at 30$ it's just too much...

50New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:03 pm

caissie_1 wrote:
wprager wrote:Well good for you. I want this blu ray thing to take off so I'll encourage everyone to try it out. But please don't buy any movies over $25. I want to teach those idiots a lesson. Just because something is a little nicer, doesn't mean that I magically will get a raise from my boss to pay for it. I had to spend $2200 for an HDTV and another $400 for the PS3. I've paid my dues. I want older movies for $10 or less regardless of format. I saw The Fifth Element marked down (heh) to $23. It's a 12 year old movie, and the BD release doesn't even have any special features. None at all.

Yeh I agree the blue ray dvd's are quite expensive... I wont buy to many at 30$ it's just too much...

Not when that Dung is free online. New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 62136

In the immortal words of Cosmo Kramer - "Retail is for suckers."

51New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:14 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Never bought any blu rays over 25$, except the boxsets of course. Prices have gone down, and you can usually find a 29.99 movie for 20 to 25 bucks somewhere.

52New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:47 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:Speaking of which:

The BIble:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/blu-ray-deals-forrest-gump-9-99-sigs-updated-12-29-09-a-715189/

Plus huge sale on amazon.ca at the moment.

I wouldn't exactly call it huge. I was interested in getting Dark Knight for $10 but there was nothing else I wanted at a good enough price to bring it up to $39 and qualify for free shipping. I was thinking maybe FS or BB would price-match Dark Knight, but yesterday I checked and BB dropped DN down to $10 as well. But when I went there in person there were no copies on the shelves. And online I'm stuck with the same situation. I'd love to get The Fifth Element, but $23 for a 12-year-old movie with no bonus features, versus my "Ultimate" edition I already have (superbit plus second disc full of features) it's just not worth it, even though I love that film.

P.S. Which part of your post is "the Bible" -- the RedFlagDeals site or Forrest Gump? You should also add shopbot.ca to your arsenal.

53New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:49 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:Well good for you. I want this blu ray thing to take off so I'll encourage everyone to try it out.
I took the red pill... I'm still bitter... I'll only bite when I'm good and ready.

Tantrum

Speaking of which, just finished watching Reloaded last night. I got the "Ultimate" collection on BD for Christmas -- it was only $50 at HMV. The boasted that it was 7 discs, but 2 of those are DVDs (the special features).

54New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:54 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:Never bought any blu rays over 25$, except the boxsets of course. Prices have gone down, and you can usually find a 29.99 movie for 20 to 25 bucks somewhere.

My biggest issue right now is that there are no recent releases that are tempting me beyond those I already ordered. It's the prices of the older stuff that's frustrating.

Going forward, new crap should not be any higher than DVD releases. They already ratcheted up the prices on DVDs quite a bit when the format war was raging. I thought that was because they were going to price the eventual format winner the same as DVDs but it appears these guys are stupid greedy.

Remember not so long ago that new releases were $22.99 and could be had for $19,99 first day? Since then the dollar is almost at par and new releases are priced at $28.99. Ridiculous.

The only thing that has gone up that much in 3 years is probably my residential taxes and gas/heating. Which means my "entertainment dollar" has actually gotten smaller.

55New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:18 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Another question:

What online content is available in Canada? I've signed up for the PSN but haven't done much other than look up the cost of a couple games. Are there freebies like previews, trailers or something? The iTunes store periodically has free stuff (like now they have some Lost recap shows with some bonus material not previously aired) -- can I download stuff from there? What about streaming movies -- I heard NetFlix in the US streams to the PS3 and Zip.ca was considering doing a similar service here. Anything along thoselines?

56New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:23 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

By the way, Amazon.com currently has Lost S5 on BD for $45 -- that's $5 *less* than the DVD version.

57New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:13 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:By the way, Amazon.com currently has Lost S5 on BD for $45 -- that's $5 *less* than the DVD version.

Nearly bought it, then I went on Amazon.ca, and found it for 45$ CAD, with 3$ shipping, from the associate retailers.

58New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:53 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:
wprager wrote:By the way, Amazon.com currently has Lost S5 on BD for $45 -- that's $5 *less* than the DVD version.

Nearly bought it, then I went on Amazon.ca, and found it for 45$ CAD, with 3$ shipping, from the associate retailers.

Not bad. Used?

My main point was that it was $5 less than the DVD version. I *like* that.

59New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:54 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

No it's new, but the store was fairly new.

Yep, the price compared to DVD is a huge step forward.

60New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:00 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:No it's new, but the store was fairly new.

Yep, the price compared to DVD is a huge step forward.

I just searched amazon.ca for "lost s5 blu" and the lowest I see is $55 for new. Is there some other way (beside the search box) to access those "associate retailers"? I'm not specifically looking for Lost (I'll wait for the complete series eventually) but I'm looking for a few other titles, like Fifth Element.

61New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:02 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I searched "Lost Blu-ray" on the search box and they gave me like 3 or 4 results. One of them was the one I bought, with no picture of the boxset. So if you're looking for a specific title, you have to check if amazon gives you more than 1 result on a search.
Fifth element is like 10 bucks everywhere isn't it?

62New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:14 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hmm, I still don't see anything new for $50 but it doesn't really matter. Like I said, I'm OK waiting for when the full series box set comes out (I'm not letting my oldest see it until he's at least 14, which will be this coming summer).

As for The Fifth Element, the lowest I'd seen is $15 at several US retailers. The best price over here is $23 in a couple of places (and that was marked down from $28). The movie is 12 years old -- ridiculous IMO. I keep checking periodically, I'll get it eventually for $10, probably.

63New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:22 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

It's not there anymore, I guess the store only had 1 copy New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 4 270956 .

I recommend waiting for the movies' prices to drop as well, I only buy movies that are on sale, not shopping specifically for one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum