GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Great Tips!!

+3
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
SensGirl11
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Great Tips!! Empty Great Tips!! Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:36 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I just received this e-mail. If these tips work, I'm all for it. I will definitely be trying these.

Subject: How to handle Telemarketers & Junkmail

This is a good one - worth reading - and doing!

CBS Newsman

Tips for Handling Telemarketers

Three Little Words That Work !!

(1)The three little words are:
'Hold On, Please...'

Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt.

Then when you eventually hear the phone company's 'beep-beep-beep' tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task.

These three little words will help eliminate telephone soliciting.

(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end?

This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone.

This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a 'real' sales person to call back and get someone at home.

What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times, as quickly as possible This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system. Gosh, what a shame not to have your name in their system any longer !!!

(3) Junk Mail Help:

When you get 'ads' enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these 'ads' with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail away.

When you get those 'pre-approved' letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope.

Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right? It costs them more than the regular 41 cents postage 'IF' and when they receive them back..

It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around 50 cents before the last increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes.

One of Andy Rooney's (60 minutes) ideas.

Send an ad for your local chimney cleaner to American Express. Send a pizza coupon to Citibank. If you didn't get anything else that day, then just send them their blank application back!
If you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on anything you send them.

You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing! It still costs them 41 cents.

The banks and credit card companies are currently getting a lot of their own junk back in the mail, but folks, we need to OVERWHELM them. Let's let them know what it's like to get lots of junk mail, and best of all they're paying for it...Twice!

Let's help keep our postal service busy since they are saying that e-mail is cutting into their business profits, and that's why they need to increase postage costs again You get the idea !

If enough people follow these tips, it will work ---- I have been doing this for years, and I get very little junk mail anymore.

Last edited by SensGirl11 on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Great Tips!! Empty Re: Great Tips!! Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:39 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Do we just add tips of our own to the thread now?

For example (for the fellas only), if you get kicked in the package, jump up and down.

3Great Tips!! Empty Re: Great Tips!! Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:41 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Ooopss...I had erased it by accident. Great Tips!! 805406

4Great Tips!! Empty Re: Great Tips!! Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:04 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neat. I thought of putting these idiots on hold, I was gonna do it anyway. I'll tell you how it works out.

5Great Tips!! Empty Re: Great Tips!! Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:04 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Do we just add tips of our own to the thread now?

For example (for the fellas only), if you get kicked in the package, jump up and down.

Really? That sounds like it would make it worse.

6Great Tips!! Empty Re: Great Tips!! Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:07 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Do we just add tips of our own to the thread now?

Really? That sounds like it would make it worse.

Maybe a myth then. Disregard that tip.

7Great Tips!! Empty Re: Great Tips!! Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:12 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Will do! TwoThumbsUp!

8Great Tips!! Empty Re: Great Tips!! Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:14 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Will do! Great Tips!! 457303

OK. Here's one. But it only applies to world-class golfers who want to project a squeaky clean image and have a young family at home...

9Great Tips!! Empty Re: Great Tips!! Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:20 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Here's a great tip...

50% Facepalm

- Unknown Author

10Great Tips!! Empty Re: Great Tips!! Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:51 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Another way to reduce the number of calls you receive is by registering your phone number on the National do not call list. That can be done here:

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/insnum-regnum-eng

This does not prevent all telemarketers though, as Registered Charities will still call you, and companies with which you have had some sort of relationship within the last 18 months. After 18 months, they will no longer be allowed to contact you.

For more information on Canada's National Do-not-call list, please visit:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/DNCL/brochure_consumer.htm

11Great Tips!! Empty Re: Great Tips!! Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:05 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Bass Destruction wrote:Another way to reduce the number of calls you receive is by registering your phone number on the National do not call list. That can be done here:

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/insnum-regnum-eng

This does not prevent all telemarketers though, as Registered Charities will still call you, and companies with which you have had some sort of relationship within the last 18 months. After 18 months, they will no longer be allowed to contact you.

For more information on Canada's National Do-not-call list, please visit:

[url=http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/DNCL/brochure_consumer.htm
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/DNCL/brochure_consumer.htm[/quote[/url]]

I find it very odd that I seem to be getting more calls since I've put our number on that list. + I'm getting them on my cell now too. very frustrating.

12Great Tips!! Empty Re: Great Tips!! Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:07 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

That's because a bureaucrat is selling your number to offshore telemarketing companies.

13Great Tips!! Empty Re: Great Tips!! Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:10 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:That's because a bureaucrat is selling your number to offshore telemarketing companies.

Bahahahahaha. Laughing3

14Great Tips!! Empty Re: Great Tips!! Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:10 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

No call list seems to have helped me. Although I got rid of most of the telemarketers by changing my phone number and only update bills etc.

I did have a collection agency (and even the Ottawa police) call for some person I never heard of. It took months before they finally stopped (after repeatedly being told no such person lived/lives here).

15Great Tips!! Empty Re: Great Tips!! Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:25 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I like the "Hold on..." and then leave the phone off the hook and walk away trick... too funny.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum