GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lee and Campoli on the trading block? Per Jason York at Team 1200 Today

+5
asq2
wprager
shabbs
LeCaptain
davetherave
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

On the Team 1200's 'Healthy Scratches' afternoon radiocast with Jason York and Steve Lloyd, Jason York suggested yesterday that Brian Lee, and today, Chris Campoli, could be traded before next season.

York feels that Brian Lee' s demotion is, in his words, "the prelude to a trade, because it just hasn't worked out for him in Ottawa. And let's face it," he continued, "Brian Lee isn't Bryan Murray's draft pick; he's John Muckler's draft pick. And in the NHL, that's the way it works."

York went on to say that the Senators are probably looking for a team who also have a player with a similar situation and similar salary/cap number (850K/1.250MM) to Lee's, that they would be ready to 'flip' to the Sens in exchange.

Today, Jason pointed out that Chris Campoli's being a healthy scratch tonight could also be an indication that he does not figure in Ottawa's long-term d-corps plan.

York said that the Senators' current 6-man unit looks like this, now and probably for the rest of the season:

Phillips-Volchenkov
Kuba-Karlsson
Picard-Carkner

...leaving Campoli as the "seventh man" in York's words.

York went on to say that with Jared Cowan due to be given a serious look next year, and Campoli being an impending RFA, Murray wants to make room for Cowen, and doesn't want to have to give Campoli, as he put it, "a big raise".

York also thinks that Murray will extend Volchenkov.

What York says about moving Lee and Campoli makes sense from a fiscal perspective; the Senators have about half a million in cap room right now, making it difficult for Murray to make trades.

Murray also has Volchenkov and a number of impending RFAs (Foligno, Regin, Winchester, Picard) to consider re-signing for 2010-11. and not a lot of cap room to do that.

Just wanted to share this with the GM Hockey Members...you will all have, no doubt, some interesting thoughts and perspectives.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Kinda many obvious stuff in there but well... I think a lot of people would agree.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

File this under the "well, duh" category.

Wink

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

In other words, nothing we haven't already decided here. Smile

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I think my world has just been turned upside down.

It may not reflect greatly on Murray if he turns around and deals Campoli in the same year as he acquired him, especially since it will probably be for substantially less than he gave up. Anyone with a pair of eyes scouts could tell Comrie as a rental wasn't even remotely worth a first round pick, so Campoli's the key to that deal.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

In the Citizen they were saying that Lee and Clouston possibly got into it a little on the bench verbally. Lee is sent down the next day - no doubt Clouston telling Murray that he's a pain in the Donkey. Karlsson is brought up the same day - burning one year of his ELC. Volchenkov is readying to come back, if there's a spare D-man now, it's Campoli.

You bet Lee is going to be offered around and probably traded.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

With 14 players signed for the 10-11 season at 47 million, Murray will be looking for future assets (prospect/pick) in most deals he makes for Lee and Campoli.

Or should I say 13 players at 45 million, once Cheechoo is bought out.

I highly doubt Cheechoo gets a buyout. I also doubt that Campoli and Lee are both traded in season as that would remove all depth at D in the organization. My guess is one of them is dealt in season and the other is dealt in June or not tendered a QO next summer.

Im guessing Lee for Skille.

dennycrane wrote:With 14 players signed for the 10-11 season at 47 million, Murray will be looking for future assets (prospect/pick) in most deals he makes for Lee and Campoli.

I'd trade Kovalev before buying Cheechoo out. I may be in the minority, who knows.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:Im guessing Lee for Skille.

Interesting. That could work.

I'd love a nasty power forward. Someone with a mean streak. Since I don't think we have the tradable assets to acquire Beach, Aliu is a guy I'd look at. He's one tough customer.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
dennycrane wrote:With 14 players signed for the 10-11 season at 47 million, Murray will be looking for future assets (prospect/pick) in most deals he makes for Lee and Campoli.

I'd trade Kovalev before buying Cheechoo out. I may be in the minority, who knows.

Nope, not alone my friend. Cheechoo's got more passion and heart than Kovalev and while Kovalev may be a better skill player, I much prefer and respect what Cheechoo does. At the price, neither is worth what they are doing right now, but I'd much rather have Cheechoo. Kovalev can have his wish and go back home to Montreal.

hemlock wrote:

I'd love a nasty power forward. Someone with a mean streak. Since I don't think we have the tradable assets to acquire Beach, Aliu is a guy I'd look at. He's one tough customer.

Ya, but Chicago has almost given up on Skille, that was kind of my point. Enough potential to make an impact in Ottawa, probably wont in Chicago. Lee could have a spot on The Hawks blueline next year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum