GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: Halak's starts for the Habs; the Allan Walsh Controversy

+7
asq2
PTFlea
Tuk Tuk
SensFan71
wprager
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SV% is more the measure of the goaltender; GAA is more the measure of the team. Luongo had a horrendous GAA when playing in Florida, but his SV% showed him to be a good goalie.

If one goalie faces 50 shots and lets in 2, and another goalie faces 20 shots and lets in one, the SV% of the first one is better but the GAA is worse. Is it his fault that he faced 50 shots?

Were you really asking that question seriously?

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:SV% is more the measure of the goaltender; GAA is more the measure of the team. Luongo had a horrendous GAA when playing in Florida, but his SV% showed him to be a good goalie.

If one goalie faces 50 shots and lets in 2, and another goalie faces 20 shots and lets in one, the SV% of the first one is better but the GAA is worse. Is it his fault that he faced 50 shots?

Are you making that statement seriously?

Chris Osgood had a mediocre SV% and GAA last year. .887, 3.09. By your definition, Osgood is an 'abysmal' goalie.

The fact is, there are all kinds of factors that determine the quality of a goaltender, and these include far more than save percentages, GAAs and win-loss records.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
wprager wrote:SV% is more the measure of the goaltender; GAA is more the measure of the team. Luongo had a horrendous GAA when playing in Florida, but his SV% showed him to be a good goalie.

Are you making that statement seriously?

Chris Osgood had a mediocre SV% and GAA last year. .887, 3.09. By your definition, Osgood is an 'abysmal' goalie.

The fact is, there are all kinds of factors that determine the quality of a goaltender, and these include far more than save percentages, GAAs and win-loss records.

I believe what Prages said was that those were abysmal stats and if you are seriously trying to suggest that the Red Wings were happy with Osgood's performance during the REGULAR SEASON last year then you are sadly mistaken. Not only that but, many people in the hockey world were wondering what was going on with Osgood. Granted he turned it around in the playoffs but that just proves that his regular season stats were in fact not good at all.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

@Clutchie> I'm not suggesting anything of the sort. Read what I wrote again.

As I said, there are many factors that determine the the quality of a goalie, including ability to win one-goal games, protecting leads, performance in 'must win' situations...the list goes on and on.

To come back to the topic of discussion, Halak's situation is very simple.

It appears he would like to make a salary commensurate with the ability he perceives he has.

His agent is lobbying for him.

by stats alone, Dave, Sv% is a far better measure of a goalie. It all factors in, and indeed GAA can be used as a measure of the teams confidence in their goalie, but it is a strong sv% that goalies want for themselves.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Gohan wrote:by stats alone, Dave, Sv% is a far better measure of a goalie. It all factors in, and indeed GAA can be used as a measure of the teams confidence in their goalie, but it is a strong sv% that goalies want for themselves.

@Gohan> this really isn't worth working up a sweat over.
UPDATE: Halak's starts for the Habs; the Allan Walsh Controversy - Page 3 270956

"You say PO-TAY-TOE, I say PO-TAH-TO...."

...and I apologize for ruffling Prager's feathers...he's a good person.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum