GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: Halak's starts for the Habs; the Allan Walsh Controversy

+7
asq2
PTFlea
Tuk Tuk
SensFan71
wprager
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Tuk Tuk

Veteran
Veteran

UPDATE: Halak's starts for the Habs; the Allan Walsh Controversy - Page 2 270956

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:But ... but ... but what about my pool team?

UPDATE: Halak's starts for the Habs; the Allan Walsh Controversy - Page 2 441415 UPDATE: Halak's starts for the Habs; the Allan Walsh Controversy - Page 2 932508

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You have chosen... not so wisely.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

P.M. Bouchard has yet to play, Gonchar is gone 6 weeks and now it looks like Price is losing his starter's job. Someone talk me off the ledge, please.

Nope, not gonna do that.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

From what I surmise, he had a solid game except for the mistake on the Bailey goal.

The Islanders weren't exactly a fearsome opponent though, especially after having played last night.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

UPDATE: Halak's starts for the Habs; the Allan Walsh Controversy - Page 2 979942

Halak better keep going here because he's playing solid, solid hockey. Gainey will probably force Price right back inbetween the pipes though.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=297689

LOL

sidstu

Rookie
Rookie

gainey threw price to the wolves 2 years ago when he traded huet at the dealine and put all the pressure on price--he has never been the same--carboneau knew it and it costed his job

gainey has to go--this brutal right now being a habs fan

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:P.M. Bouchard has yet to play, Gonchar is gone 6 weeks and now it looks like Price is losing his starter's job. Someone talk me off the ledge, please.

Talk you off the ledge...

marakh wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=297689

LOL

"While Walsh's client Halak has a 5-2 record this season in comparison to Price's 3-7 record, it should be noted that while Price has a higher goals against average – 3.30 in comparison to Halak's 2.85 - he sports a slightly better save percentage – 0.894 to 0.893 – than Halak."

UPDATE: Halak's starts for the Habs; the Allan Walsh Controversy - Page 2 62136 UPDATE: Halak's starts for the Habs; the Allan Walsh Controversy - Page 2 489887 who wants to bet Pierre McGuire wrote that UPDATE: Halak's starts for the Habs; the Allan Walsh Controversy - Page 2 270956

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Gohan wrote:

LOL

"While Walsh's client Halak has a 5-2 record this season in comparison to Price's 3-7 record, it should be noted that while Price has a higher goals against average – 3.30 in comparison to Halak's 2.85 - he sports a slightly better save percentage – 0.894 to 0.893 – than Halak."

UPDATE: Halak's starts for the Habs; the Allan Walsh Controversy - Page 2 62136 UPDATE: Halak's starts for the Habs; the Allan Walsh Controversy - Page 2 489887 who wants to bet Pierre McGuire wrote that UPDATE: Halak's starts for the Habs; the Allan Walsh Controversy - Page 2 270956

That could be the difference in missing or making the playoffs UPDATE: Halak's starts for the Habs; the Allan Walsh Controversy - Page 2 159628

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Gohan wrote:

LOL

There are two things that stand out in that comparison:
1. They both suck.
2. Either Price's competition is tougher, or the team plays softer in front of him, since the SV% is nearly identical but the GAA is quite different.

Calling a SV% like that as "slightly better" may have been a bit of sarcasm, to be honest. Another way to put it would have been to say "Price's SV% is nearly as abysmal as Halak's".

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Gohan wrote:

LOL

who wants to bet Pierre McGuire wrote that UPDATE: Halak's starts for the Habs; the Allan Walsh Controversy - Page 2 270956

There are two things that stand out in that comparison:
1. They both suck.
2. Either Price's competition is tougher, or the team plays softer in front of him, since the SV% is nearly identical but the GAA is quite different.

Calling a SV% like that as "slightly better" may have been a bit of sarcasm, to be honest. Another way to put it would have been to say "Price's SV% is nearly as abysmal as Halak's".

@Prager> What's the big deal with save percentage?

Leclaire's is .897. Is that 'abysmal'?

GAA is what matters, and even then, it's all about whether the team scores more goals than it allows.

Halak wants to be a Number One, he's not going to be a Number One in Montreal.

Walsh is doing his best to pressure the Habs into giving Halak more money when he becomes an RFA next June--or trade him to somewhere where he is.

Halak's a good goaltender, and he may getting tired of being relegated to backup duty after four seasons. Perfectly understandable.

If Murray had traded for Halak instead of Leclaire, you'd be saying how great he is.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SV% is more the measure of the goaltender; GAA is more the measure of the team. Luongo had a horrendous GAA when playing in Florida, but his SV% showed him to be a good goalie.

If one goalie faces 50 shots and lets in 2, and another goalie faces 20 shots and lets in one, the SV% of the first one is better but the GAA is worse. Is it his fault that he faced 50 shots?

Were you really asking that question seriously?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:SV% is more the measure of the goaltender; GAA is more the measure of the team. Luongo had a horrendous GAA when playing in Florida, but his SV% showed him to be a good goalie.

If one goalie faces 50 shots and lets in 2, and another goalie faces 20 shots and lets in one, the SV% of the first one is better but the GAA is worse. Is it his fault that he faced 50 shots?

Are you making that statement seriously?

Chris Osgood had a mediocre SV% and GAA last year. .887, 3.09. By your definition, Osgood is an 'abysmal' goalie.

The fact is, there are all kinds of factors that determine the quality of a goaltender, and these include far more than save percentages, GAAs and win-loss records.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
wprager wrote:SV% is more the measure of the goaltender; GAA is more the measure of the team. Luongo had a horrendous GAA when playing in Florida, but his SV% showed him to be a good goalie.

Are you making that statement seriously?

Chris Osgood had a mediocre SV% and GAA last year. .887, 3.09. By your definition, Osgood is an 'abysmal' goalie.

The fact is, there are all kinds of factors that determine the quality of a goaltender, and these include far more than save percentages, GAAs and win-loss records.

I believe what Prages said was that those were abysmal stats and if you are seriously trying to suggest that the Red Wings were happy with Osgood's performance during the REGULAR SEASON last year then you are sadly mistaken. Not only that but, many people in the hockey world were wondering what was going on with Osgood. Granted he turned it around in the playoffs but that just proves that his regular season stats were in fact not good at all.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum