GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

10th???

+8
spader
asq2
Tuk Tuk
wprager
LeCaptain
shabbs
PTFlea
Hockeyhero22000
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

3110th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:29 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

I just hope they play In your face hockey all the way. I hate the fact that Winchester is out at the opening night. We need to show from the opening face off that we won't be pushed around. Foligno, FIsher, NEil, Cheechoo, Ruutu... Check, check and re-check. No reason at all not to kill all those Rangers PMD's like there's no tomorrow. We can't let those 2 Rookie defensemen (Gilroy and DEl Zotto) walk around.

3210th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:34 pm

marakh wrote:I just hope they play In your face hockey all the way. I hate the fact that Winchester is out at the opening night. We need to show from the opening face off that we won't be pushed around. Foligno, FIsher, NEil, Cheechoo, Ruutu... Check, check and re-check. No reason at all not to kill all those Rangers PMD's like there's no tomorrow. We can't let those 2 Rookie defensemen (Gilroy and DEl Zotto) walk around.

True but Kelly is no slouch either. Neither is Alfredsson. And Spezza has played a little more hard-nosed in the pre-season. Michalek is a big body...does he hit? barely seen anything from him.

Carkner, Karlsson, Phillips, and Volchenkov like to play a physical game too.

3310th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:35 pm

coupled with CC's system, I'm sure we'll be fine in the toughness department.

3410th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, I was briefly concerned that we were returning to the immediately pre-lockout times where the Sens were the talented Euros and the Leafs were the physical, less talented Canadians who kept beating them.

But, the league has changed, our goaltending should be much better and there's still some bit in the line-up. Hopefully Spezza continues to develop the physical element. His size coupled with his new-found speed let him throw some crunchers on the forecheck in the pre-season.

3510th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:54 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

We have 4 different lines than last year, I don't think this team will gel before at least 10 games. I don;t hink we're gonna score a lot of goals right off the bat, and that's when we have to give it all physically IMO. That little momentum switch we need to give mental toughness from the physical presence. score in that last minute to tie the game. A 06-07 Buffalo style. I don't remember one single game where the Sens scored in the last minute last season... The mental toughness is the biggest challenge if I were to pick one. Don't let Chris Neil be the only one with the big hit that saves the game.

The coach is probably the most important ingredient for that. Thank god we have a good one.

3610th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:01 pm

marakh wrote:We have 4 different lines than last year, I don't think this team will gel before at least 10 games. I don;t hink we're gonna score a lot of goals right off the bat, and that's when we have to give it all physically IMO. That little momentum switch we need to give mental toughness from the physical presence. score in that last minute to tie the game. A 06-07 Buffalo style. I don't remember one single game where the Sens scored in the last minute last season... The mental toughness is the biggest challenge if I were to pick one. Don't let Chris Neil be the only one with the big hit that saves the game.

The coach is probably the most important ingredient for that. Thank god we have a good one.

I love to hear that of all the players in the league, Neil is one whose hits hurt every time (can't remember who said it, but it was said) and I love that he can make some great hits at key times. My problem is this belief that fighting is essential to winning. 3 of the last 4 Cup winners barely fought...they fought on the scoresheet and in the hit count and they fought for the puck. They fought for every inch, but they didn't need to fight with fists to assert themselves.

Fighting may or may not have its place in the game, but this idea that it elevates a team is dumb Imo. If anything, it makes teams weaker.

Just had to go off on a little tangent 10th??? - Page 3 Icon_smile

3710th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:05 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I would love to have a line that drives the other team's star players crazy. Winchester with Cheechoo and Ruutu at some point during game X would be nice from time to time.
Again, the coach is awesome at this game.

3810th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:18 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

CCgotITcovered wrote:
marakh wrote:We have 4 different lines than last year, I don't think this team will gel before at least 10 games. I don;t hink we're gonna score a lot of goals right off the bat, and that's when we have to give it all physically IMO. That little momentum switch we need to give mental toughness from the physical presence. score in that last minute to tie the game. A 06-07 Buffalo style. I don't remember one single game where the Sens scored in the last minute last season... The mental toughness is the biggest challenge if I were to pick one. Don't let Chris Neil be the only one with the big hit that saves the game.

I love to hear that of all the players in the league, Neil is one whose hits hurt every time (can't remember who said it, but it was said) and I love that he can make some great hits at key times. My problem is this belief that fighting is essential to winning. 3 of the last 4 Cup winners barely fought...they fought on the scoresheet and in the hit count and they fought for the puck. They fought for every inch, but they didn't need to fight with fists to assert themselves.

Fighting may or may not have its place in the game, but this idea that it elevates a team is dumb Imo. If anything, it makes teams weaker.

Fighting for the sake of fighting is dumb. Paying a goon to play 4 minutes and fight the other team's goon who plays 4 minutes won't have any impact on your overall team's physical mentality or physical presence - it certainly didn't for Montreal last season with Laraque.

But something like Iginla vs. Lecavalier in the SCF, or Spezza vs. Phaneuf (even though he got creamed in that one), or even Lucic-Neil I think serves a purpose and legitimately energizes a team. The Sens don't need someone who's only purpose is to fight, but they need to be willing to drop the gloves to defend each-other or send a message to the other team IMO.

Also, Neil isn't the same player as McGrattan, which is nice. I think he's overpaid, and I don't think anybody should think of him as an offensive contributor, or try to make him into one, but he's good at what he does and provides more than just fighting on the ice.

3910th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:35 pm

asq2 wrote:
CCgotITcovered wrote:

Fighting for the sake of fighting is dumb. Paying a goon to play 4 minutes and fight the other team's goon who plays 4 minutes won't have any impact on your overall team's physical mentality or physical presence - it certainly didn't for Montreal last season with Laraque.

But something like Iginla vs. Lecavalier in the SCF, or Spezza vs. Phaneuf (even though he got creamed in that one), or even Lucic-Neil I think serves a purpose and legitimately energizes a team. The Sens don't need someone who's only purpose is to fight, but they need to be willing to drop the gloves to defend each-other or send a message to the other team IMO.

Also, Neil isn't the same player as McGrattan, which is nice. I think he's overpaid, and I don't think anybody should think of him as an offensive contributor, or try to make him into one, but he's good at what he does and provides more than just fighting on the ice.

I agree with you, but I don't agree with the statement that we need a player like Neil. I like Neil and I like what he brings, but this idea that there has to be a fighter on the lineup is archaic. Whats necessary is team toughness and the willingness to stand up for each other---as you alluded to above.

4010th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:44 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PuckDaddy released his own staff prognostications. They did it by divisions. The Sens were picked 4th twice, 5th twice, and 3rd by one lone voice of sanity.

Dobber was the one picking the Sens to finish behind the Bruins (the unanimous choice for 1st) and Habs.

Sean Leahy and Ryan Lambert (who also picked Toronto to finish second, so his prediction is disqualified on grounds of evident insanity) picked the Sens to finish last in the Division.

Greg Wyshynski and Dmitri Chesnokov (that means "garlicky" in Russian, by the way) went the route of indecision and placed the Sens in the middle of the Division.

None of the four placed the Sens in the top 8 seeds in the Conference. Not even Dobber.

Maybe this year's slogan should have been "Under the radar"?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Puck-Daddy-s-2009-10-Eastern-Conference-staff-pr?urn=nhl,192993

4110th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:12 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Wes Goldstein has put pout his "Power Rankings". The Sens are 14th. Finally some "love" our way, but is that a blip on the radar?

Their offense might be better without Heatley because it's better
balanced now, and Ottawa's defense was better after Cory Clouston
became coach. If new goalie Pascal Leclaire plays to his potential, the
Sens could be the turnaround team of the season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/story/12289467

4210th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:15 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

CCgotITcovered wrote:
asq2 wrote:
CCgotITcovered wrote:

I agree with you, but I don't agree with the statement that we need a player like Neil. I like Neil and I like what he brings, but this idea that there has to be a fighter on the lineup is archaic. Whats necessary is team toughness and the willingness to stand up for each other---as you alluded to above.

Disagree. We absolutely need a player like Neil. We don't need a player like McGrattan. McGrattan was a fighter, but not much of a hockey player. Neil hits hard, intimidates the opposition, and contributes the odd goal. He's not just a fighter, he's a hockey player that fights. He's not the best hockey player, but, as a fourth liner, his role is to finish checks and beat up on the other team. The Sens are considerably less of a physical team without Neil.

Ya, he's overpaid, but he has a clear role with this team.

4310th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:23 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think Neil, especially at his salary, needs to be more of a Ruutu type player that backs it up with the odd fight. He's shown he can get between 8 and 12 goals when he's not the resident tough guy. Carkner will take on the role of tough guy if he can stick with the team. If Neil has to be our fighter then it's a waste of money compared to what he can potentially bring to the team.

Also, as to the topic. I agree that putting Toronto ahead of us seems unlikely but to be honest 10th really isn't far off of what could happen. I personally had the Sens at 7th in my prediction and later in the prediction thread I admitted that they could fall to 9th.

- Unknown Author

4410th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:52 am

I think the Sens will finish in 4th/5th this year but my prediction is based on a lot of conditions:

1. Leclaire plays 55-60 games and regains his old form
2. Kovalev-Regin-Fisher line mesh and contribute offensively
3. Spezza and Michalek find chemistry; Michalek has a career year
4. Alfie shows no signs of ageing and stays healthy
5. Cheechoo scores 15; third line combines for 40-50 goals while being the primary shut-down line
6. Karlsson develops into the PP QB that we all think he can be; Ottawa has top-5 PP in the league
7. Shutdown D-men do their jobs; shutdown the stars and clear the front of the net.
8. Clouston establishes roles and players accept them (Kelly, Foligno, Neil, Ruutu, Carkner, Picard)
9. The team is motivated and get the season off to a good start
10. Fisher and Regin's hard work rub off on Kovalev

I realize it seems like a lot but I'm optimistic going into Saturday that the Sens will be the biggest surprise in the NHL.

4510th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:41 am

They key to everything for Ottawa is a good start. I said this a month ago or when ever the schedual came out, if The Sens cant start the year at least 5 games over 500 in their first 15, no way do they make the playoffs. They might have the easiest schedual in the league to start the year so they need to click fast and really get some momentum going and carry that forward throughout the year.

If that doesnt happen, doesnt matter what goes down the rest of the way, they alreayd dug a whole almost impossible to come out of.

That said I 100% believe they will get off to that hot start and challenge for the division with Bosotn.

4610th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:46 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I think Neil, especially at his salary, needs to be more of a Ruutu type player that backs it up with the odd fight. He's shown he can get between 8 and 12 goals when he's not the resident tough guy. Carkner will take on the role of tough guy if he can stick with the team. If Neil has to be our fighter then it's a waste of money compared to what he can potentially bring to the team.

Also, as to the topic. I agree that putting Toronto ahead of us seems unlikely but to be honest 10th really isn't far off of what could happen. I personally had the Sens at 7th in my prediction and later in the prediction thread I admitted that they could fall to 9th.

I like our toughness. We have enough without going overboard and sacrificing talent for toughness. We have Neil who is the best middleweight in the League and can play a regular shift, plus throw game changing hits and irritate as good as anyone. We have Ruutu who is a very under-estimated fighter, he rarely loses and ties up people till they are tired and then throws 'em. Ruutu is also a top ten pest on anyone's list, although he got away from that a bit last year. Then we have Carkner who is a true heavyweight. He has the size, heart and has seemed to do okay in the few boughts he has had. I would like to see how he fairs against Laraque, Orr and the rest of the meatheads in our division.

4710th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am

N4L wrote:They key to everything for Ottawa is a good start. I said this a month ago or when ever the schedual came out, if The Sens cant start the year at least 5 games over 500 in their first 15, no way do they make the playoffs. They might have the easiest schedual in the league to start the year so they need to click fast and really get some momentum going and carry that forward throughout the year.

If that doesnt happen, doesnt matter what goes down the rest of the way, they alreayd dug a whole almost impossible to come out of.

That said I 100% believe they will get off to that hot start and challenge for the division with Bosotn.

None of the panel nerds would ever go out on a limb to say a team would do well, unless they are a lock. It is easier to say teams will fail and them call them a surprise....

Personally I agree with you, potentially coloured by being a fan but I think they are heading in the right direction.

4810th??? - Page 3 Empty Re: 10th??? Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:56 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The ranking is less offensive than the prediction that the Leafs would finish ahead of us. Absurd.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum