GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

RIP John Hughes

+2
shabbs
wprager
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1RIP John Hughes Empty RIP John Hughes Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Passed away today of a heart attack. He was 59.

I went through the list of his movies n IMDB and was amazed how many I have seen and enjoyed:

Vacation
Sixteen Candles
The Breakfast Club
Weird Science
Pretty in Pink
Ferris Beuler's Day Off
Some Kind of Wonderful
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
She's Having a Baby
Uncle Buck
Christmas Vacation
Home Alone

And that doesn't include some of the clunkers (like European Vacation, or the Home Alone sequels -- which he wrote but did not direct).

What's your favorite John Hughes movie? My top three would be Home Alone, Uncle Buck and Ferris.

2RIP John Hughes Empty Re: RIP John Hughes Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:23 pm

wprager wrote:Passed away today of a heart attack. He was 59.

I went through the list of his movies n IMDB and was amazed how many I have seen and enjoyed:

Vacation
Sixteen Candles
The Breakfast Club
Weird Science
Pretty in Pink
Ferris Beuler's Day Off
Some Kind of Wonderful
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
She's Having a Baby
Uncle Buck
Christmas Vacation
Home Alone

And that doesn't include some of the clunkers (like European Vacation, or the Home Alone sequels -- which he wrote but did not direct).

What's your favorite John Hughes movie? My top three would be Home Alone, Uncle Buck and Ferris.

European Vacation is not a clunker! I love that movie. Hughes has certainly made some classics though. He'll be missed.

3RIP John Hughes Empty Re: RIP John Hughes Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well, compared to Vacation and Christmas Vacation, it wasn't very good. Compared to, oh, The Great Outdoors, perhaps it compares better.

4RIP John Hughes Empty Re: RIP John Hughes Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:01 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Never watched Career Opportunities. I'm afraid I don't have a choice after watching this:

5RIP John Hughes Empty Re: RIP John Hughes Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:06 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Christmas Vacation cracks me up EVERY time... the best.

The Breakfast Club will always be significant for me.

"Ferris", P"lanes, Trains and Automobiles", "Uncle Buck" oh man... I could watch those movies over and over and over...

RIP man... RIP.

6RIP John Hughes Empty Re: RIP John Hughes Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:07 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Never watched Career Opportunities. I'm afraid I don't have a choice after watching this:

Recognize her?

Jennifer Connelly...

Man, that was 1991.

7RIP John Hughes Empty Re: RIP John Hughes Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:17 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Recognize her?

Well, umm, that's why I *have to * watch it now. Ever since I first watched The Rocketeer.

8RIP John Hughes Empty Re: RIP John Hughes Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:47 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oh man..I loved John Hughes. Planes, Trains..is comic gold. Christmas Vacation as well.

RIP.

9RIP John Hughes Empty Re: RIP John Hughes Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:03 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:Never watched Career Opportunities. I'm afraid I don't have a choice after watching this:

Recognize her?

Jennifer Connelly...

Man, that was 1991.

I remember seeing her in Labyrinth (1986) - she was hot enough to make up for having to look at Bowie...

10RIP John Hughes Empty Re: RIP John Hughes Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:32 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Very interesting read:
http://wellknowwhenwegetthere.blogspot.com/2009/08/sincerely-john-hughes.html

A young girl wrote to John Hughes after seeing The Breakfast Club, and ended up being a pen-pal with him for many years.

11RIP John Hughes Empty Re: RIP John Hughes Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

A big loss to the film community and anyone who grew up in the 80's. My favorites are, anything he did with John Candy (The Great Outdoors, Uncle Buck, Planes, Trains, and automobiles). I also have a soft spot for Ferris and Weird Science.

12RIP John Hughes Empty Re: RIP John Hughes Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:48 pm

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

I loved Uncle Buck, RIP Hughes

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum