GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rangers re-sign Callahan

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rangers re-sign Callahan Empty Rangers re-sign Callahan Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:24 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=442563

2.3 million per year.

2Rangers re-sign Callahan Empty Re: Rangers re-sign Callahan Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:47 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So that leaves them about $3M with two more roster spots to fill (assuming around $1.4 for injury reserves). Dubinsky deserves a similar raise.

They have no room to re-sign Zherdev.

So, who gets moved? Can they afford to buy out Redden? That would clear $4.3M from the cap, but replacing Redden with a $2M puck-mover means only about a $2.3M savings (plus the extra $2.17M for the 5 years *beyond* Redden's contract). Nah, they're short on D so I think they're stuck with him for at least one more season.

Something has to give. They don't want to lose Zherdev.

3Rangers re-sign Callahan Empty Re: Rangers re-sign Callahan Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:17 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:So that leaves them about $3M with two more roster spots to fill (assuming around $1.4 for injury reserves). Dubinsky deserves a similar raise.

They have no room to re-sign Zherdev.

So, who gets moved? Can they afford to buy out Redden? That would clear $4.3M from the cap, but replacing Redden with a $2M puck-mover means only about a $2.3M savings (plus the extra $2.17M for the 5 years *beyond* Redden's contract). Nah, they're short on D so I think they're stuck with him for at least one more season.

Something has to give. They don't want to lose Zherdev.

Zherdev apparently hasn't panned out in NY...the word from Rangers scribes is that he doesn't fit with Tortorella's work ethic.

Korpikoski was apparently considering a KHL offer.

Sather still has some work to do...Mara gone, Morris as well it seems.

He does have $11MM in cap space though (per NHLNumbers), so I doubt Slats is sweating.

4Rangers re-sign Callahan Empty Re: Rangers re-sign Callahan Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:24 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:Zherdev apparently hasn't panned out in NY...the word from Rangers scribes is that he doesn't fit with Tortorella's work ethic.

He does have $11MM in cap space though (per NHLNumbers), so I doubt Slats is sweating.

Korpikoski was apparently traded to Phoenix earlier tonight for Lisin. Maybe Sather feels he can get a better value in him? Shrug

5Rangers re-sign Callahan Empty Re: Rangers re-sign Callahan Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Blah...wow, they broke the cap rule of having 4 guys at 6 million or more. 27.5 on 4 players . 32.5 on 5 players if you count Roszival's 5 million hit.

Diddle a doodle doo. That's insane.

For Ottawa, this is yet another reason for this to be the final season of having Heatley. If there even needed to be another reason at this point, the Ranger's handing of the cap might be the best one yet.

6Rangers re-sign Callahan Empty Re: Rangers re-sign Callahan Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:50 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Korpikoski was apparently traded to Phoenix earlier tonight for Lisin. Maybe Sather feels he can get a better value in him? Shrug

No kidding...I was under the impression both these clubs thought the world of these two particular players. Good for both of them. Still doesn't change the fact that Sather is gonna be riding that salary cap line like a rodeo clown.

If he's smart, he'll figure out a way to invest some money in a decent backup. Lundqvist has looked very fatigued in the last two playoffs from being overplayed during the regular season.

7Rangers re-sign Callahan Empty Re: Rangers re-sign Callahan Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:54 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Blah...wow, they broke the cap rule of having 4 guys at 6 million or more. 27.5 on 4 players . 32.5 on 5 players if you count Roszival's 5 million hit.

For Ottawa, this is yet another reason for this to be the final season of having Heatley. If there even needed to be another reason at this point, the Ranger's handing of the cap might be the best one yet.

Spez>you remember that Sather and Don Maloney did a deal at the March deadline where the Rangers sent several players (Dawes, Prucha, Kalinin) to PHX in exchange for Derek Morris.

Don Maloney is an ex-Ranger...there may be other factors behind these transactions.

The 'Yotes helped the Rangers in March, and the Korpikoski-Lisin deal may be part of a 'relationship'.

Not unusual in NHL circles.

8Rangers re-sign Callahan Empty Re: Rangers re-sign Callahan Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:55 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
Spez>you remember that Sather and Don Maloney did a deal at the March deadline where the Rangers sent several players (Dawes, Prucha, Kalinin) to PHX in exchange for Derek Morris.

Don Maloney is an ex-Ranger...there may be other factors behind these transactions.

The 'Yotes helped the Rangers in March, and the Korpikoski-Lisin deal may be part of a 'relationship'.

Not unusual in NHL circles.

Ah Dave...an excellent point. Good call.

9Rangers re-sign Callahan Empty Re: Rangers re-sign Callahan Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:
No kidding...I was under the impression both these clubs thought the world of these two particular players. Good for both of them. Still doesn't change the fact that Sather is gonna be riding that salary cap line like a rodeo clown.

If he's smart, he'll figure out a way to invest some money in a decent backup. Lundqvist has looked very fatigued in the last two playoffs from being overplayed during the regular season.

I find it odd, but for sure there's a pat on that back to Sather for the trade at the deadline here. Lisin is my preferred player out of the two personally.

Interesting little deal, I won't lie.

Laughing3 Ride it like a rodeo clown Sather.

10Rangers re-sign Callahan Empty Re: Rangers re-sign Callahan Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:17 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
PKC wrote:

I find it odd, but for sure there's a pat on that back to Sather for the trade at the deadline here. Lisin is my preferred player out of the two personally.

Interesting little deal, I won't lie.

Laughing3 Ride it like a rodeo clown Sather.

Well, it's true. And he's going to realize it when Gaborik inevitably gets hurt and it dawns on him that he doesn't have a legitimate first line center and that he doesn't have a top line forward anymore. What are they going to do then? Oh yeah, rely on the only guy worth the money they pay him to bail their asses out -- Lundqvist.

I swear to God, if they didn't have that guy in nets, they'd be perennial cellar dwellers, looking at lottery pick after lottery pick every year.

11Rangers re-sign Callahan Empty Re: Rangers re-sign Callahan Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:08 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:
Zherdev apparently hasn't panned out in NY...the word from Rangers scribes is that he doesn't fit with Tortorella's work ethic.

CapGeek has been adjusted for Callahan, showing $4.4M in cap space:
http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=22

Like I said, take $1.4M for injury callups and you've got $3M left with two roster spots left to fill and RFAs left out in the cold -- Dubinski, Zherdev, Lisin, others.

12Rangers re-sign Callahan Empty Re: Rangers re-sign Callahan Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:11 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:

Yep, CapGeek already has Lisin in there, except he's an RFA. Did Phoenix qualify him? If they did, that's another $1M or so and they need a D.

13Rangers re-sign Callahan Empty Re: Rangers re-sign Callahan Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:13 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:Blah...wow, they broke the cap rule of having 4 guys at 6 million or more. 27.5 on 4 players . 32.5 on 5 players if you count Roszival's 5 million hit.

Are you talking about a "rule of thumb" or an actual CBA-related rule?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum