GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

O'Sullivan signs?

+2
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1O'Sullivan signs? Empty O'Sullivan signs? Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:09 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

As of right now, there are a few whispers that this has gone down. A 4 year, 4.5 million dollar a year package (which I might say I called almost to the penny 8) ).

There must be a link if this many people are chattering about it. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: This is the best link I can find. Not the most credible source, so let's see if it pans out.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/nhl-osullivan-kings-on-verge-of-4-year-deal/1003/

2O'Sullivan signs? Empty Re: O'Sullivan signs? Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:02 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That actually sounds like a pretty reasonable deal. Nice catch Space!

- Unknown Author

3O'Sullivan signs? Empty Re: O'Sullivan signs? Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:21 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:That actually sounds like a pretty reasonable deal. Nice catch Space!

I don't get it. First, let me say that I don't at all doubt that O'Sullivan is going to be a great player.

But what has he done to date to earn a deal that big? 19 points in one half season, and 53 points in his first full season -- i.e., as many points as Vermette put up last year. That gets you 4+ X 4? Does this mean that, if we wanted to sign Vermette to a 4+ year deal, we would have had to pay $4+ mil, too?

For a comparable: Dustin Brown signed for less money ($3.175 mil) and a longer term (6 years), and he had similar numbers at that point in his career (28 points in his 1st season and 44 points in his second season; he put up 60 points in his third season, which is when he signed the deal).

I like O'Sullivan and I realise his upside is higher than Brown's or Vermette's, but I don't understand why you pay him this much money before he's really accomplished anything. I realise, too, that you have at pay a bit more for this potential, but wow... let me just say that I don't think we'd be saying "great deal" if we signed Vermette for that dollar/term amount, and yet when you look at their career numbers, Vermette has actually done more to this point.

4O'Sullivan signs? Empty Re: O'Sullivan signs? Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:40 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n' Clutch wrote:That actually sounds like a pretty reasonable deal. Nice catch Space!

I don't get it. First, let me say that I don't at all doubt that O'Sullivan is going to be a great player.

But what has he done to date to earn a deal that big? 19 points in one half season, and 53 points in his first full season -- i.e., as many points as Vermette put up last year. That gets you 4+ X 4? Does this mean that, if we wanted to sign Vermette to a 4+ year deal, we would have had to pay $4+ mil, too?

For a comparable: Dustin Brown signed for less money ($3.175 mil) and a longer term (6 years), and he had similar numbers at that point in his career (28 points in his 1st season and 44 points in his second season; he put up 60 points in his third season, which is when he signed the deal).

I like O'Sullivan and I realise his upside is higher than Brown's or Vermette's, but I don't understand why you pay him this much money before he's really accomplished anything. I realise, too, that you have at pay a bit more for this potential, but wow... let me just say that I don't think we'd be saying "great deal" if we signed Vermette for that dollar/term amount, and yet when you look at their career numbers, Vermette has actually done more to this point.

Something is amiss there I think. While O'Sullivan will likely be a star, paying that much for him right now seems a little odd.

5O'Sullivan signs? Empty Re: O'Sullivan signs? Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:20 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't hear anything about it today. Maybe it was a false alarm.

6O'Sullivan signs? Empty Re: O'Sullivan signs? Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:41 am

rooneypoo wrote:

I agree with your assessment and I think we definitely would have to pay Vermette that kind of money over that kind of term.
Although it seems like too much money, this is the team that paid Jarret Stoll to a Jeff Finger contract...

7O'Sullivan signs? Empty Re: O'Sullivan signs? Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:28 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Remember that this past year was just O'Sullivan's second NHL season. He got as many points as Vermette did in his fourth season. By the time he reaches Vermette's age he'll be an 80 point man. That's pretty much set in stone.

Unless Vermette gets 65-75 points this year, which is doable, the comparison is not valid IMO.

8O'Sullivan signs? Empty Re: O'Sullivan signs? Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:03 pm

I agree with that and I wasn't insinuating that O'Sullivan's contract has any bearing on Vermette's next contract, but I do think it would take 4M+ to sign Vermette to a 4-5 year contract.

9O'Sullivan signs? Empty Re: O'Sullivan signs? Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:12 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:I agree with that and I wasn't insinuating that O'Sullivan's contract has any bearing on Vermette's next contract, but I do think it would take 4M+ to sign Vermette to a 4-5 year contract.

For sure, depending on his season this year, I think a 4million X 6 year package is in his horizon.

10O'Sullivan signs? Empty Re: O'Sullivan signs? Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:17 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:
cash wrote:I agree with that and I wasn't insinuating that O'Sullivan's contract has any bearing on Vermette's next contract, but I do think it would take 4M+ to sign Vermette to a 4-5 year contract.

For sure, depending on his season this year, I think a 4million X 6 year package is in his horizon.

Then again, this just shows Murray's brilliance at inking yet another beauty of a contract!

11O'Sullivan signs? Empty Re: O'Sullivan signs? Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:32 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cronenbergfan wrote:Then again, this just shows Murray's brilliance at inking yet another beauty of a contract!
I wonder if Murray is thinking the cap will go down next year.

12O'Sullivan signs? Empty Re: O'Sullivan signs? Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:37 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:Then again, this just shows Murray's brilliance at inking yet another beauty of a contract!

I was wondering the same thing, because if it keeps going up at the pace that it has been, smaller market teams (that are already having issues or difficulty hitting the floor) are going to struggle even MORE!

I wouldn't be surprised if the cap stays about the same next year, barring any catastrophic recession or something.
Perhaps something like either $57.2 or a firm $58M.

13O'Sullivan signs? Empty Re: O'Sullivan signs? Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:26 pm

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

Cronenbergfan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Something is amiss there I think. While O'Sullivan will likely be a star, paying that much for him right now seems a little odd.

Is it because maybe he missing a RFA or UFA eligible year so he as to be compensated more to keep him that long. He is not the only player getting big $ at a young age.

14O'Sullivan signs? Empty Re: O'Sullivan signs? Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Cronenbergfan wrote:
shabbs wrote:

I was wondering the same thing, because if it keeps going up at the pace that it has been, smaller market teams (that are already having issues or difficulty hitting the floor) are going to struggle even MORE!

I wouldn't be surprised if the cap stays about the same next year, barring any catastrophic recession or something.
Perhaps something like either $57.2 or a firm $58M.
Thats what I expect, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it take another unexpected jump, like it did this year, and end up being 60+. I doubt it'll ever reach 65M, though.

15O'Sullivan signs? Empty Re: O'Sullivan signs? Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:05 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

$60M+ would be INSANE!! Wow!! I can't imagine that. but, as you mentioned, stranger things have happened...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum