GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chelios seems to be done

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chelios seems to be done Empty Chelios seems to be done Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:51 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

REPORT: CHELIOS NOT OFFERED CONTRACT BY RED WINGS

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282583

It appears Chris Chelios has played his last game for the Detroit Red Wings.
According to the Detroit Free Press, Chelios will not be offered a contract by the team after meeting with general manager Ken Holland on Monday.
"I met with Chelios and told him we would not be offering him a contract," Holland told the Free Press. "He wants to play again. I really think that he does have another year in him. I think he can play 10 to 15 minutes. I think he can play on a third pair."
In 28 games this season, the 47-year-old Chelios scored no points with a plus-1 rating.
Over his 26-year career, the Chicago native has scored 185 goals and added 763 assists for 948 points in 1,644 games.

2Chelios seems to be done Empty Re: Chelios seems to be done Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:54 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Good.

3Chelios seems to be done Empty Re: Chelios seems to be done Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:57 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Good.

maybe he will play for the Leafs Laughing3

4Chelios seems to be done Empty Re: Chelios seems to be done Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:57 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensFan71 wrote:

That would be the right fit. He would join a long line of bigheaded jerks... Tucker, Green, Domi...

Hand in glove.

5Chelios seems to be done Empty Re: Chelios seems to be done Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:23 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

That would be the right fit. He would join a long line of bigheaded jerks... Tucker, Green, Domi...

Hand in glove.

all signed by the big headed jerk in the press box, Burke.

6Chelios seems to be done Empty Re: Chelios seems to be done Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:47 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SSF, I'm curious why you've got it in for Chelios? Other than that incident in Nagano (where I'm sure he wasn't the main instigator -- not with the Ambassador of Fun around as well), plus a few well-placed elbows, what has he done to earn your scorn?

This is a guy who has three Norris trophies, 3 Stanley Cups rings, a World Cup, an Olympic Silver, 11 All-Star appearances, scored 60+ points 7 times, and even had a 20-goal season.

I, for one, would love to see him play three more years, see if he can get to 30 years (counting the lockout season).

7Chelios seems to be done Empty Re: Chelios seems to be done Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:50 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:SSF, I'm curious why you've got it in for Chelios? Other than that incident in Nagano (where I'm sure he wasn't the main instigator -- not with the Ambassador of Fun around as well), plus a few well-placed elbows, what has he done to earn your scorn?

This is a guy who has three Norris trophies, 3 Stanley Cups rings, a World Cup, an Olympic Silver, 11 All-Star appearances, scored 60+ points 7 times, and even had a 20-goal season.

I, for one, would love to see him play three more years, see if he can get to 30 years (counting the lockout season).

His big nose, mostly. And the way he made that 3rd Stanley Cup all about him. Oh yeah, and his lack of expression everytime the camera pointed at his annoying face when his Detroit teammates were collecting well-deserved hardware.

A me-first player through and through.

8Chelios seems to be done Empty Re: Chelios seems to be done Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:05 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:SSF, I'm curious why you've got it in for Chelios? Other than that incident in Nagano (where I'm sure he wasn't the main instigator -- not with the Ambassador of Fun around as well), plus a few well-placed elbows, what has he done to earn your scorn?

His big nose, mostly. And the way he made that 3rd Stanley Cup all about him. Oh yeah, and his lack of expression everytime the camera pointed at his annoying face when his Detroit teammates were collecting well-deserved hardware.

A me-first player through and through.

Ah, well, if it's his nose, then I understand. Having a large one myself you think I would feel offended but, in reality, having one gives you the freedom to make fun of others', so I can appreciate a good nose hate-on.

That said, perhaps you should read this:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/197766-chris-cheliosa-special-breed

A couple of seasons after coming to Detroit in March 1999, Red Wings
management planned to cut down on the aging defenceman’s ice time. Even
though he is one of the most competitive players in the league and can
still be effective on the ice, Chelios has become the ultimate team
player by putting the Wings first and his ego over ice time second.
Even though he has only dressed for six playoff games this spring and
will not be playing in Friday’s Game Seven, Cheli understands the
situation.
“Obviously, I want to play, but I’m realistic too,” Chelios, who
ranks third all-time among American players with 1,644 games played,
said. “We have one of the best teams in the league and some young guys
coming up and it’s bound to happen sooner or later. But I had an
opportunity to play six games (in postseason) and help out a little
bit, and there’s no other 47-year-old doing it in the league, so I’m
going to hope and pray that things work out and I’ll be rooting just
like the rest of our fans.”
That team-first attitude has made this 948-point scorer very popular
with teammates and management alike. “He’d like to be part of it, but
as long as the team wins and the other players are getting bigger roles
and responsibilities, he’s okay with it,” Red Wings general manager Ken
Holland said. “I think he understands going into Game Seven that our
best lineup, unfortunately, doesn’t include him. But he’s OK with
that—he just wants the team to win.”
Fellow hard-hitting blue liner Nicklas Kronwall couldn’t say enough
good things about Chelios and how he is a valuable leader in the room
who helps out with his experience, sense of humor and his veteran savvy.
On a personal note, the one thing that really sticks out from last
year’s Cup run was how Chelios was all smiles and excited to hoist the
Stanley Cup even though he didn’t play in the Finals. He never
complained last spring or this spring about being scratched for games.

9Chelios seems to be done Empty Re: Chelios seems to be done Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:08 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have a big nose too. It must be self-loathing.

CheapShots Brennan used to write articles like that about Redden all the time. The fact that he's referred to Chelios as "Cheli" kinda makes me skeptical about the objectivity of the writer too.

10Chelios seems to be done Empty Re: Chelios seems to be done Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:28 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:I have a big nose too. It must be self-loathing.

CheapShots Brennan used to write articles like that about Redden all the time. The fact that he's referred to Chelios as "Cheli" kinda makes me skeptical about the objectivity of the writer too.

Actually I think he's more of a fan/blogger than writer.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum