GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

TB calls Burke's bluff: Schenn, Kaberle and the 7th

+6
Hockeyhero22000
asq2
shabbs
Riprock
davetherave
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:"Luke Schenn and Tomas Kaberle -- two top-two defencemen -- to move five places ... does that make any sense to anybody? The answer is no," Burke told a Toronto radio station yesterday. "It's a lot of noise, it's a lot of aggravation and when you actually analyze what's proposed or what's available or what the rumour is, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either one of them." (Says Burke)

What did you expect talking such silly talk? You are asking for the 2nd overall pick this year, this is what you will have to give up for it (Because Tampa clearly doesn't want to part with it)

This Burke guy is a fool. I know that he's an awesome GM and gets things done, but what did he expect. You're not THAT good Burke.

oh my don't let him read that, his confidence will be shattered and the Leafs will continue to suck for years to come, oh wait, what's his e-mail, send it to him, send it to him Laughing3

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensGirl11 wrote:"Luke Schenn and Tomas Kaberle -- two top-two defencemen -- to move five places ... does that make any sense to anybody? The answer is no," Burke told a Toronto radio station yesterday. "It's a lot of noise, it's a lot of aggravation and when you actually analyze what's proposed or what's available or what the rumour is, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either one of them." (Says Burke)

What did you expect talking such silly talk? You are asking for the 2nd overall pick this year, this is what you will have to give up for it (Because Tampa clearly doesn't want to part with it)

This Burke guy is a fool. I know that he's an awesome GM and gets things done, but what did he expect. You're not THAT good Burke.

No. But assuming that you will have to pay next to nothing just "to move five places" just because you're Brian Burke does makes sense, right?

What a jackass.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:

It comes with this stigma that he's the draft day God of the world. In reality, the GMs who have the top 3 picks might or might not be a little bit dumb, but they're not dumb enough to cast aside Tavares, Hedman or Duchene for scraps. Credit Burke for putting the feelers out there, then definitely credit TB (imagine that) for stepping up and saying, you can have him, but it'll cost you.

Still...something's bound to happen. Burke doesn't love anyone he inherited with the possible exception of Schenn, so all of these players are for sale. Kaberle, Kubina, Toskala, even prospects like Tlusty, Stallman etc., plus his early 1st rounder and his 2nd rounder - and any other pick he got via trade.

Silly as it sounds, Burke might just be stubborn enough to give up a substantial package for one of the top 3 picks. He's gonna have to if he wants to join the party.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

burke would be the biggest idiot to get rid of all the pieces he has^ as you said but he is going to try and do something

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If he tries to get - and succeeds in getting - Tavares, he'd be tearing down what little foundation the Leafs have. The Pens don't just have Crosby, they have Staal and Malkin as well.

I'm sure he'd love to have Tavares and Hall, but that's unlikely.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:If he tries to get - and succeeds in getting - Tavares, he'd be tearing down what little foundation the Leafs have. The Pens don't just have Crosby, they have Staal and Malkin as well.

I'm sure he'd love to have Tavares and Hall, but that's unlikely.

Keep in mind they got Malkin before Crosby, and then lucked out in 2005.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

You always want to maximize the most out of your return if you are a GM dealing from strength. The first overall pick this year is the biggest since Crosby/Ovechkin. This is huge. The hype around Tavares is enormous. Who isn't salivating at the thought of him living up to or exceeding the expectations of becoming the Next Great One?

If you're Tampa Bay and you have a chance to land some really good players like Kaberle, Kubina, or whomever, no matter the cost (salary wise), you do it. They could easily turn those players into more picks and/or prospects.

Honestly though, Burke should aim lower and target Duchene. It might be slightly loses costly to get the 2nd/3rd (It's not guarantee, but you have to think that it is about time Tampa drafts an elite defenceman) and hopefully get Duchene, who can play a more complete role than Tavares. He's much faster, just as good with the puck, and is a smart player.

By the way, Sportsnet Connected had a top 5 hits of the playoffs and Ryan Ellis nailing Duchene was 3rd.

Dash wrote:You always want to maximize the most out of your return if you are a GM dealing from strength. The first overall pick this year is the biggest since Crosby/Ovechkin. This is huge. The hype around Tavares is enormous. Who isn't salivating at the thought of him living up to or exceeding the expectations of becoming the Next Great One?
First of all, Crosby and Ovechkin were drafted in different years.
Secondly, no its not. This draft is no different than last years, except there are more forwards in the top-7 than there are D-men.

In fact, the top of this draft is worse than the top of last years draft. Stamkos is a true pimp, Doughty is already playing like a man, and Bogosian will maybe end up being the best of them all.

This year, however, boasts an overrated top prospect who's character has been compared to Jason Spezza (I said it 6 months ago and scouts are saying it now) and a D-man with a ton of question marks around him, not the least of which being his durability.

Obviously it takes great skill and tremendous talent/upside to be considered the top-1 or 2 pick in an NHL entry draft, but its also quite clear that not all players live up to their draft position...

Sidney Crosby, John Tavares is not. If thats your expectation, I will almost guarantee you'll be disappointed.

Taylor Hall is the next one... Not Tavares. Hall would already be considered a top-3 pick in this years draft and he's still got a full year of developing to prepare for the NHL. His talent is undeniable and his character is worn on his face. He has a OHL championship and clearly outperformed Tavares in the process.

Imo its not even close between those two; meaning that this year is not the be-all, end-all of NHL drafts...

I also made the comparisson to Spezza a while, and I think it is 100% accurate. All this hype for a jr player who teams really didnt do anything... that being said, he won two WJC's which is defently note worthy.

Neely4Life wrote:I also made the comparisson to Spezza a while, and I think it is 100% accurate. All this hype for a jr player who teams really didnt do anything... that being said, he won two WJC's which is defently note worthy.

True, but those teams were by far-and-away better than the ones that Spezza was a part of.

That tournament could have been much different for Canada if Tavares doenst score those 2 goals against the U.S. I'm not saying these teams wernt better, but Spezza had 3 shots at it, never made any real impact on those teams, while Tavares is 2 for 2, won tourny MVP (BS, but he won), and had a huge impact.

I dont think Tavares is as special as a lot of people think, but I do think there is something to be said for the bottom line, which is winning. In terms of just the OHL, I think him and Spezza are absolutly identicle in terms of their work ethic, their teams, and their general demenor towards the game. "Im special, I dont have to work, I expect things to be handed to me"

Neely4Life wrote:That tournament could have been much different for Canada if Tavares doenst score those 2 goals against the U.S. I'm not saying these teams wernt better, but Spezza had 3 shots at it, never made any real impact on those teams, while Tavares is 2 for 2, won tourny MVP (BS, but he won), and had a huge impact.

I dont think Tavares is as special as a lot of people think, but I do think there is something to be said for the bottom line, which is winning. In terms of just the OHL, I think him and Spezza are absolutly identicle in terms of their work ethic, their teams, and their general demenor towards the game. "Im special, I dont have to work, I expect things to be handed to me"

I would tend to agree with that statement for Spezza more than Tavares, but its a percentage thing... Maybe like 90% right for Spezza, 70% right for Tavares. Just what I've seen from him, I think he has a little more drive than Spezza, but Spezza clearly has more inate talent (Imo).

Either way, I don't see Tavares being a truly special player i.e. Crosby, Ovechkin.

I'll be honest, I have never, ever, even had the notion of Tavares being a Crosby, Ovechkin, even a Kane IMO. Tavares has a long way to go before he will even be mentioned in the same breath as those guys, especially on the Island.

I will say this for Tavares though, he seems to have a much better head on his shoulder and a lot more character than Spezza, which will eventually help him out down the line.

You were right on about the Cash.

Neely4Life wrote:I'll be honest, I have never, ever, even had the notion of Tavares being a Crosby, Ovechkin, even a Kane IMO. Tavares has a long way to go before he will even be mentioned in the same breath as those guys, especially on the Island.

Playing with Bailey is going to help him a lot though (assuming thats where he ends up)
They actually have the making of a really solid pair.

Okposso too... Love that kid.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:I'll be honest, I have never, ever, even had the notion of Tavares being a Crosby, Ovechkin, even a Kane IMO. Tavares has a long way to go before he will even be mentioned in the same breath as those guys, especially on the Island.

Playing with Bailey is going to help him a lot though (assuming thats where he ends up)

But you have to think: moreso than Tavares - Filatov would?

asq2 wrote:
cash wrote:

But you have to think: moreso than Tavares - Filatov would?

I see your point, but I really think that duo in particular would be extremely strong. It just kind of feels right...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum