GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next for the Sharks?

+8
PKC
strachattack
LeCaptain
PTFlea
davetherave
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1What's Next for the Sharks? Empty What's Next for the Sharks? Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:37 am

After a great regular season, the San Jose Sharks season has once again ended prematurely. For a team that was fairly healthy, this series loss raises questions regarding the direction of the club. What will become of Doug Wilson who has been hailed as one of the better GMs in the league? If Wilson goes does this mean a new coach will be brought in? And most importantly how can you change the roster.

The Sharks currently have almost 47M committed to 7 forwards, 5 Dmen and Evgeni Nabakov. Their only RFAs are Clowe, Goc and Mitchell.

Of particular interest to Sens fans, would Travis Moen be a decent lower priced replacement for Chris Neil ? Now back to the Sharks.

It seems that there needs to be changes made to the top 2 forwards, Joe T has proven to be a huge playoff failure yet Patrick Marleau is the player most frequently brought up as someone who should be moved.

How would you proceed if you were making the decisions down by the Bay?

2What's Next for the Sharks? Empty Re: What's Next for the Sharks? Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:42 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Marleau to Montreal, you can book that one. Not sure if Jumpin Joe will be moved however. They will sign Clowe if their GM has a brain at all, and Heater has talked about it before, we would gladly take Cheecho off their hands to see if a change of scenery would do him good, if they want to send Clowe our way too, I don't think I would argue.

3What's Next for the Sharks? Empty Re: What's Next for the Sharks? Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:45 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Tough call. They are the Sens of the West. Remember the Division titles and the President's Trophy seasons coupled with early exits despite having a talent laiden team? It appears as though a major shift is needed but I wouldn't know where to begin. With the Sens it seemed as though some major adversity brought them together before their run so perhaps that's what these guys need? I sure wouldn't want to be the guy trying to figure this team out.

And before Neely says it's all Thornton and Marleau's fault I will just say it's not that simple.

- Unknown Author

4What's Next for the Sharks? Empty Re: What's Next for the Sharks? Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:00 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

No arguments there SF. I have to agree thar Marleau will certainly be courted and swooned by Montreal, that's for sure.
And as a Sens fan, I would be ecstatic if somehow we could snag both Cheechoo and Clowe... *drooling* but I won't get carried away.

Needless to say, speculation will continue to run rampant as the President's trophy winners were trounced and bounced by the lowest seed in the 1st round, although to be honest, reading Drew Miller's comments I believe, encompass what I've felt recently where he stated: "Everyone in (our) the dressing room knows we're not an 8th seed team, and now I think the league knows it too,"

5What's Next for the Sharks? Empty Re: What's Next for the Sharks? Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:58 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

IMHO Doug Wilson's done all he could reasonably do.

The Ducks improved their club substantially at the deadline, and are not your 'typical' 8th seed. Anaheim is a Cup Champion, and many of those players remain. They know how to win.

The Sharks need a younger D-man to replace Blake, but there aren't any discernible flaws on this team.

It's easy to dump on Marleau and Thornton, but the fact is NONE of the Sharks were able to solve the Ducks' defensive strategy and the exceptional play--with two shutouts to boot--of Jonas Hiller.

6What's Next for the Sharks? Empty Re: What's Next for the Sharks? Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:28 am

davetherave wrote:IMHO Doug Wilson's done all he could reasonably do.

The Ducks improved their club substantially at the deadline, and are not your 'typical' 8th seed. Anaheim is a Cup Champion, and many of those players remain. They know how to win.

The Sharks need a younger D-man to replace Blake, but there aren't any discernible flaws on this team.

It's easy to dump on Marleau and Thornton, but the fact is NONE of the Sharks were able to solve the Ducks' defensive strategy and the exceptional play--with two shutouts to boot--of Jonas Hiller.
Dave,

This was the Sharks year. They acquired Blake and Boyle to push them over the top. They had Thornton, Marleau and Michalek up front. They had young guys on cheap contracts contributing and they had the goaltending. Again they failed in their pursuit of the cup. They obviously need to improve, but how do that. They can't bring anyone in without moving a big salary.

7What's Next for the Sharks? Empty Re: What's Next for the Sharks? Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:29 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ wrote:
davetherave wrote:IMHO Doug Wilson's done all he could reasonably do.

Dave,

This was the Sharks year. They acquired Blake and Boyle to push them over the top. They had Thornton, Marleau and Michalek up front. They had young guys on cheap contracts contributing and they had the goaltending. Again they failed in their pursuit of the cup. They obviously need to improve, but how do that. They can't bring anyone in without moving a big salary.

Robby, I agree with you.

I frankly don't know what else Doug Wilson can do...and I suspect he doesn't know either at the moment.

8What's Next for the Sharks? Empty Re: What's Next for the Sharks? Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:32 am

Get ready for the Marleau/Briere/Lecavalier to Montreal rumours. Interestingly anyone trading for Marleau after July 1st can sign him to an extension immediately.

9What's Next for the Sharks? Empty Re: What's Next for the Sharks? Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:41 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Marleau to Montreal is probably being discussed as we speak - but expect Marleau to use his NTC to stay the Diddle away. The last thing this guy needs is more pressure.

Thornton's future is in terrifying limbo. He could be offered around for a gritty winger. Someone who's been there before and can fight through the checking of the playoffs. But...Thornton was good enough to make a difference, no one else was, especially in game 6.

Setaguchi is a great regular season player. So is Pavelski - but there have to be doubts about their post-seasons.

Clowe is a killer player, so he'll move up with Thornton I would imagine. Probably insulate that line with Michalek so there's nothing but size and power.

DW will have to examine very closely the progress of Couture to see if he can be slotted in.

I would expect Cheechoo to be traded. Grier will move on, Roenick will move on,

There needs to be a little less skill and a little more toughness.

Devastating.

EDIT: It doesn't help that SJ's prospect pool makes ours look like Detroit's.

10What's Next for the Sharks? Empty Re: What's Next for the Sharks? Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:52 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ wrote:Get ready for the Marleau/Briere/Lecavalier to Montreal rumours. Interestingly anyone trading for Marleau after July 1st can sign him to an extension immediately.

Robby, you are right again on this, but is Marleau really the problem?

Under McLellan, he had an excellent year.

Gainey certainly has no one the Sharks would want. Neither does Holmgren, who can't afford to part with the d-man San Jose would need to replace Boyle.

Injuries are no excuse, of course, but the Sharks were quite possibly not healthy going into the playoffs, those injuries (I suspect to both Blake and Lukowich, as well as Clowe) lingering or otherwise undisclosed.

The Sharks did not finish the season strong, going just 5-4-1 in their last ten, and barely winning half of their games in March.

The Ducks, on the other, brought in fresh troops in March and were on an upswing since the trade deadline.

And then there was Hiller, who clearly outplayed Nabokov.

11What's Next for the Sharks? Empty Re: What's Next for the Sharks? Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:

Yes.

He was one of about 5 serious issues, but by far the biggest.

12What's Next for the Sharks? Empty Re: What's Next for the Sharks? Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:11 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Yes.

504H, who were the leading goal getters for San Jose in the playoffs?

Who had the best plus-minus on the team in that series?

13What's Next for the Sharks? Empty Re: What's Next for the Sharks? Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Yes.

504H, who were the leading goal getters for San Jose in the playoffs?

Who had the best plus-minus on the team in that series?

No one. They all failed. :D:

14What's Next for the Sharks? Empty Re: What's Next for the Sharks? Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:21 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Most goals was a whopping 2: By Boyle and Marleau

Best plus minus was: Cheechoo with a...plus 1.

Egads. :****:

15What's Next for the Sharks? Empty Re: What's Next for the Sharks? Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:57 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Most goals was a whopping 2: By Boyle and Marleau

Best plus minus was: Cheechoo with a...plus 1.

Egads. :****:

Precisely...the failure is shared by all.

It's easy to put it on Marleau...but his mates didn't exactly help him out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum