GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

THN Officially Changes It's Story

3 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1THN Officially Changes It's Story Empty THN Officially Changes It's Story Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:50 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

The latest from Adam Proteau, the guy who wrote the THN article yesterday that sparked so much internet chaos in Sensland:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/17692-Multiple-sources-confirm-Meszaros-to-Lightning-deal-in-the-works.html

All talk of "a signed offer sheet" has pretty much disappeared and the story has now dwindled to "possible interest," "maybes," and other evasive terms. Surprise, surprise, I say.

Thanks to Senschirp who spotted this and gave some analysis:

http://senschirp.blogspot.com/2008/08/on-meszaros.html

2THN Officially Changes It's Story Empty Re: THN Officially Changes It's Story Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:51 pm

rooneypoo wrote:The latest from Adam Proteau, the guy who wrote the THN article yesterday that sparked so much internet chaos in Sensland:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/17692-Multiple-sources-confirm-Meszaros-to-Lightning-deal-in-the-works.html

All talk of "a signed offer sheet" has pretty much disappeared and the story has now dwindled to "possible interest," "maybes," and other evasive terms. Surprise, surprise, I say.

Thanks to Senschirp who spotted this and gave some analysis:

http://senschirp.blogspot.com/2008/08/on-meszaros.html
Sad

3THN Officially Changes It's Story Empty Re: THN Officially Changes It's Story Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:52 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

That's a pretty straight up move by Shero. The only way Meszaros goes to TB now is if we fleece them. And now more than ever I don't see any reason to sign Meszaros to a dollar over 2.5, if even that.

4THN Officially Changes It's Story Empty Re: THN Officially Changes It's Story Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:53 pm

PKC wrote:That's a pretty straight up move by Shero. The only way Meszaros goes to TB now is if we fleece them. And now more than ever I don't see any reason to sign Meszaros to a dollar over 2.5, if even that.
3.8 is my limit

5THN Officially Changes It's Story Empty Re: THN Officially Changes It's Story Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:54 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Not a chance. He's not getting a dollar over 2.5 now, you can book it.

6THN Officially Changes It's Story Empty Re: THN Officially Changes It's Story Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:57 pm

i will bet dollars to donuts......

hmmm, donuts :king:

7THN Officially Changes It's Story Empty Re: THN Officially Changes It's Story Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:57 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:That's a pretty straight up move by Shero. The only way Meszaros goes to TB now is if we fleece them. And now more than ever I don't see any reason to sign Meszaros to a dollar over 2.5, if even that.

As a former member of the Sens organization, a responsible GM who doesn't want to contribute to the artificial inflation of players' salaries, and a self-interested GM who doesn't want to make any new enemies who might want to try to throw a grenade in his organization and sign Staal, Letang, etc to an offer sheet, Shero made the right call and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he sticks with it.

8THN Officially Changes It's Story Empty Re: THN Officially Changes It's Story Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:59 pm

rooneypoo wrote:

As a former member of the Sens organization, a responsible GM who doesn't want to contribute to the artificial inflation of players' salaries, and a self-interested GM who doesn't want to make any new enemies who might want to try to throw a grenade in his organization and sign Staal, Letang, etc to an offer sheet, Shero made the right call and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he sticks with it.
klowe did.... oh, you said a responsible GM

9THN Officially Changes It's Story Empty Re: THN Officially Changes It's Story Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:01 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:Not a chance. He's not getting a dollar over 2.5 now, you can book it.

Oh, I wouldn't say that, at least not that confidently. If TB is genuinely interested and willing (but not able) to put forth an offer sheet for $5 mil or so, that suggests that some people think Mesz IS worth the kind of money that he's asking for. That sounds like more, not less, leverage for his agent to me.

Anyway, I still say a contract in the range of $3 mil / 1 yr, $3.25 / 2 yrs, or $3.5 / 3 years is what we should be expecting. A few dollars less, I celebrate Murray's great skill and wisdom, a few dollars more, I bemoan the state of the inflated salaries and inflated egos.

10THN Officially Changes It's Story Empty Re: THN Officially Changes It's Story Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:09 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
PKC wrote:Not a chance. He's not getting a dollar over 2.5 now, you can book it.

Oh, I wouldn't say that, at least not that confidently. If TB is genuinely interested and willing (but not able) to put forth an offer sheet for $5 mil or so, that suggests that some people think Mesz IS worth the kind of money that he's asking for. That sounds like more, not less, leverage for his agent to me.

Anyway, I still say a contract in the range of $3 mil / 1 yr, $3.25 / 2 yrs, or $3.5 / 3 years is what we should be expecting. A few dollars less, I celebrate Murray's great skill and wisdom, a few dollars more, I bemoan the state of the inflated salaries and inflated egos.
which is more inflated? Razz

11THN Officially Changes It's Story Empty Re: THN Officially Changes It's Story Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:13 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:

Despite the fact that I maintain my dislike for that franchise in general, Shero is undoubtedly a tremendous GM with smarts and class.

12THN Officially Changes It's Story Empty Re: THN Officially Changes It's Story Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:17 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

tukker wrote:

That is officially determined by the measuring of Gary Bettman's shriveled heart vis a vis the swollen noggin of Alexei Yashin. Whichever presents the biggest discrepancy with that of the average human being, wins -- i.e., if Bettman's heart is half the size of yours or mine whereas Yashin's head is only 1/3rd bigger than ours, then "inflated salaries" wins; conversely, if Bettman's heart is only 1/3rd smaller than ours and Yashin's head is .5 times bigger than the average person's, then "inflated salaries" wins.

As you can see, it's a very scientific process. :D

13THN Officially Changes It's Story Empty Re: THN Officially Changes It's Story Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:41 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
tukker wrote:

That is officially determined by the measuring of Gary Bettman's shriveled heart vis a vis the swollen noggin of Alexei Yashin. Whichever presents the biggest discrepancy with that of the average human being, wins -- i.e., if Bettman's heart is half the size of yours or mine whereas Yashin's head is only 1/3rd bigger than ours, then "inflated salaries" wins; conversely, if Bettman's heart is only 1/3rd smaller than ours and Yashin's head is .5 times bigger than the average person's, then "inflated salaries" wins.

As you can see, it's a very scientific process. :D
Yahin's problem is that he can't earn the 15 million he feels he's worth Razz

14THN Officially Changes It's Story Empty Re: THN Officially Changes It's Story Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:12 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I posted this at the time. If it's not true, this guy Adam Proteau's reputation has been damaged irreparably. Bad, bad news for him and for The Hockey News.

15THN Officially Changes It's Story Empty Re: THN Officially Changes It's Story Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:14 pm

504Heater wrote:I posted this at the time. If it's not true, this guy Adam Proteau's reputation has been damaged irreparably. Bad, bad news for him and for The Hockey News.
never know, there might be more to this

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum