GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

If I hear ‘REBOUND CONTROL’ one more time I am going to scream…

+5
caissie_1
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
beerandsens
Acrobat
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

So I watched and unfortunately listened to TSN tonight. MacGuire was obviously hot about being criticized for his anti-Elliot, anti-Ottawa rants of late. He came prepared with video to back up his normal schtick. Video of Eli Wilson (worst goalie coach in the NHL) slapping pucks into Brian Elliot’s midsection. Unfortunately he was so hot and heavy to use the video, he used it out of context. There are two separate skills which goalies need in terms of preventing the second shot. 1st is rebound control second is rebound prevention. These are two very different things.

Rebound control is angling your equipment and/or proactively directing the puck to safe ice following a shot.

Rebound prevention is trapping or absorbing the puck in your equipment to eliminate a rebound opportunity altogether.

MacGuire was so horny to play his video, the first time Elliot displayed a somewhat poor example of rebound prevention, he mounted Rob Ray in their little box and started puffing about rebound control. Well this is the most overused term in goal tending commentary. If you understand the position, which I feel that I do, there are so many subtleties to appreciate… rebound control is a somewhat small part of it. Rebound prevention is far more important. Puck handling is what keeps Brodeur at the top. Positioning… lateral movement…vision… hockey sense (anticipation)… athleticism… handspeed… competitiveness… desperation…

I will say that MacGuire knows a lot about hockey in general and yeah Ottawa fans should understand the Elliot requires work and seasoning…. BUT… if you are going to force us to listen to a constant anti-Elliot crap, at least get it straight and give us more than the same cliché that every douche commentator pulls out when they comment on goaltending…REBOUND CONTROL…AHHHHHHH!!!!!! :x :x :x

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Agree with everything, except that rebound prevention is more important than rebound control. They go hand-in-hand; the key is that the goalie needs to be able to control where the puck is going (or not going). There are times where you have to give up a rebound, so you direct it to a safe spot; there are times when you want to send out a rebound (e.g. to a teammate who is wide open and in a position to make a play). And the rest of the time, you just eat it up.

Nonetheless, McGuire is clearly becoming defensive. It's interesting that it has taken Ottawa's fans' wrath to cause this. He has previously commented that we are some of the most knowledgeable and passionate fans; is it possible that he is now threatened by that knowledge?

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Acrobat's right about them being hand in hand. Marty Brodeur is a good example of a guy who can choose whether to velcro a shot blocker side or to put it right on his defensmans stick.

And I don't mind you calling out Eli if you have a valid point but so far your arguments have been weak. In your example here Eli is the worst goalie coach ever, working on rebound control which ended up being an improved part of Elliotts game tonight. Doesn't sound like a solid argument against Eli to me.

And before you repeat that Elliotts rebound control is Eli's doing, remember that Eli had to report Elliotts strengths and weaknesses after an initial session and he reported weak rebound prevention/control.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I found Macguire was actually praising Elliott's ability to make the big save, absorb the puck and direct rebounds. Sure he may have been going on and on about rebound control and more or less saying - See I told you he needed work on it because his coach is working with him right here in this video - but I didn't find it angering.

- Unknown Author

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Macguire sucks!! I can't stand the guy anymore. He can eat his words now though, Elliott had a fantastic game with much fewer rebounds than usual. He's a rookie for Dung sake, give me a break Pierre. He should be talking about Carey Price who was supposed to be the next Roy according to Habs fans, now that guy has Horrendous rebound control and just SUCKS period.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He was praising Elliott though Stargate. I don't have as big of a problem with Macguire I guess.

- Unknown Author

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

When was he praising him? I heard him dig into him again last night, with his little comments. Then I just blocked him out. I guess he started praising him when I blocked him out Smile. I dont' know why I care what he says anyway, he loves contradicting himself.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Yeh Mcguire will bash him at first then Elliot plays great and then he says he new all along this kid was gonna be good lol. That guy is quite the commentator. He give's credit were it's due. Our PK was definetly a monster last nigth!

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I payed special attention to his comments and to me without an I hate Macguire Bias, I heard him talk about how well he was playing tonight and how well he was absorbing the shots and reading the play well analysing the situation, knowing when to freeze the puck to get his players some rest.

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If you're directing rebounds to corners does that count as rebound control?

McGuire even questioned "rebound control" on a high blocker save that Elliott punched away. He's a bit of a Dung, that McGuire.

beerandsens wrote:Acrobat's right about them being hand in hand. Marty Brodeur is a good example of a guy who can choose whether to velcro a shot blocker side or to put it right on his defensmans stick.

And I don't mind you calling out Eli if you have a valid point but so far your arguments have been weak. In your example here Eli is the worst goalie coach ever, working on rebound control which ended up being an improved part of Elliotts game tonight. Doesn't sound like a solid argument against Eli to me.

And before you repeat that Elliotts rebound control is Eli's doing, remember that Eli had to report Elliotts strengths and weaknesses after an initial session and he reported weak rebound prevention/control.

If your team goes to the Stanley Cup final with a pair of goaltenders, one up and coming, the other a high priced veteran. Then you start full time and both goalies are bought out within two years, you aren't doing a good job. Results oriented business. Results are the worst of any team in the league.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I payed special attention to his comments and to me without an I hate Macguire Bias, I heard him talk about how well he was playing tonight and how well he was absorbing the shots and reading the play well analysing the situation, knowing when to freeze the puck to get his players some rest.

My point about MacGuire is that he was primed with his video. His prep for the night was to have that video waiting for the first sign and then say..."see I told you'. That I found irritating and reactionary due to the criticism he was feeling from Sens fans.

To his credit though, he did change his tune after he got to use his video.

McGuire is starting to eat crow, again, tallent is tallent, Elliott has it and he has enough potential to be an elite goaltender in this league for years.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

MurderOnIce wrote:My point about MacGuire is that he was primed with his video. His prep for the night was to have that video waiting for the first sign and then say..."see I told you'. That I found irritating and reactionary due to the criticism he was feeling from Sens fans.

To his credit though, he did change his tune after he got to use his video.

It really had nothing to do with Elliott's play and everything to do with McGuire wanting to show that he was right.

He was also trying to make a case for Fisher from the pre-game onward, calling him a "game breaker" and playing a clip of "Fish" that showed him sweeping his stick at Buffalo players and McGuire describing it as some kind of great play!!

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I caught the last half or so of the game and I think the first thing I heard from McGuire was positive in regards to Elliott. Something about how he was there just about every time he needed to be and made big saves when he had to.

Again guys, you're lashing out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum