GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jagr to EDM?

+4
Phoenix30
asq2
PTFlea
Riprock
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Jagr to EDM? Empty Jagr to EDM? Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=266555&lid=sublink01&lpos=headlines_main

I didn't even know there was a rumour, but it's being denied that Jagr is close to joining the team (who have the cap space now that Visnovsky is on the IR).

Also, it has been mentioned Jagr would have to go through re-entry waivers to join an NHL team, thus could be stolen by a lower standing team.

2Jagr to EDM? Empty Re: Jagr to EDM? Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:09 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, I thought this was BS. Holy cow, what the heck are the Oil gonna do when he has to clear re-entry?

EDIT: Good for Edmonton if they pull this off. They're right on the cusp, if they can get Jagr, he'd be a major help.

3Jagr to EDM? Empty Re: Jagr to EDM? Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:16 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

He certainly could help, but he doesn't replace Visnovsky. I'm surprised they aren't looking for a UFA offensive d-man? Wonder if they would give up some of their top prospects to get Bouwmeester? Surely offering up names like O'Marra, Eberle, Schremp, Nash would be enticing to a team like Florida? Or even Cogliano?

Edmonton would have to make sure the salary the offered is too much for a team to add.

4Jagr to EDM? Empty Re: Jagr to EDM? Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:18 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:He certainly could help, but he doesn't replace Visnovsky. I'm surprised they aren't looking for a UFA offensive d-man? Wonder if they would give up some of their top prospects to get Bouwmeester? Surely offering up names like O'Marra, Eberle, Schremp, Nash would be enticing to a team like Florida? Or even Cogliano?

Edmonton would have to make sure the salary the offered is too much for a team to add.

Is this why they're name is coming up in the Bouwmeester watch? I bet it is. They'd be good, because he'd probably stay there.

5Jagr to EDM? Empty Re: Jagr to EDM? Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:20 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Edmonton still has Souray, Gilbert and a rapidly improving Grebeshkov to handle offence on the blue-line.

They need a defensive defenceman.

6Jagr to EDM? Empty Re: Jagr to EDM? Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:23 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Then we can offer them Smith.

Though Bouwmeester adds both offense and defense, and why wouldn't a team, especially his hometown one, want him?

7Jagr to EDM? Empty Re: Jagr to EDM? Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:25 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:Then we can offer them Smith.

Though Bouwmeester adds both offense and defense, and why wouldn't a team, especially his hometown one, want him?

I'm not saying they're not interested in him, but they don't need an offensive defenceman.

Plus, the cost of Bouw would be high and he's an impending UFA.

8Jagr to EDM? Empty Re: Jagr to EDM? Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:28 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

True Asq, but would they not already have done their due diligence and have someone lined up for one of Souray or Visnovsky (like us).

9Jagr to EDM? Empty Re: Jagr to EDM? Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:34 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Unfortunately I am not in Edmonton today so I haven't heard anything. That being said Jagr if he clears he would be exactly what they need to line up with Hemsky. I wouldn't be surprised if they also shored up their D come the deadline as well but I dont think it will be bow. Edmonton would more likely make a pitch on July 1.

10Jagr to EDM? Empty Re: Jagr to EDM? Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:31 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Normally I look at items like this with some skepticism, but the Edmonton Journal may have stumbled on the something here.

Ales Hemsky and Jags are, apparently, good buddies from the Czech Republic, and it seems Ales told Jaro to come on down to Oil Town.

They both played in the Czech Extraliga during 04-05. Interesting to look at the Extraliga rosters during the NHL lockout:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/czech19992005.html

Rumours of a deal between the Oil and the Isles would have the Islanders scoop up Jagr on entry waivers and then trade his rights to Edmonton.

:pirat: Interesting.

11Jagr to EDM? Empty Re: Jagr to EDM? Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:55 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He'd be pinched off waivers before Edmonton could get him if they even tried this.

12Jagr to EDM? Empty Re: Jagr to EDM? Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:33 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

oooo! And the plot thickens...

If the Oil could pull this off, then my hats off to them, because they could be a serious darkhorse in this year's post-season, but they need to get in first, obviously.

13Jagr to EDM? Empty Re: Jagr to EDM? Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:42 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:Rumours of a deal between the Oil and the Isles would have the Islanders scoop up Jagr on entry waivers and then trade his rights to Edmonton.

:pirat: Interesting.
I didn't think you could trade a guy that you picked off re-entry waivers.

What if the Isles signed him and brought him up via re-entry waivers - since they are bottom of the league, does anyone get a chance at him? They could then trade him to the Oil.

14Jagr to EDM? Empty Re: Jagr to EDM? Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:21 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

My understanding is that everyone else gets a shot at him first, so Atlanta on upwards would be the pecking order.

That's why Oiler's sign and try to bring him back; nobody gets higher priority than NYI, so they take him. Problem is though, from what I understand, before you can trade, you have to first offer the player to any other team that put in a waiver claim...

D'oh!

Last edited by Acrobat on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited for clarity (dark blue text))

15Jagr to EDM? Empty Re: Jagr to EDM? Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:41 pm

I KNOW THIS SOUNDS CRAZY, but Jagr would provide us with secondary scoring..... Not to mention that we would be pretty high on the waiver list due to our season....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum