GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stars waive Avery; possible return to NY

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Stars waive Avery; possible return to NY Empty Stars waive Avery; possible return to NY Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:30 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=266166&lid=sublink02&lpos=headlines_nhl

Dallas has waived Sean Avery following rumors that the Rangers were interested in bringing him back. If he clears, it is possible he will be assigned to the Rangers AHL affiliate. It is then speculated Avery will be recalled via re-entry waivers and get claimed by New York.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Are there any other teams who might claim Sean Avery?

Earlier in the year there was a lot of talk from Ottawa fans on various forums who wanted Avery on the Senators.

Last edited by davetherave on Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think he's what the Sens need. There's enough hearsay already about certain players on our team as it is.

What about Anaheim?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Dash, for some odd reason, I have to wonder if Philly might not grab him. They have 2.5 in cap space and might want to add some more nastiness. And Holmgren might want to submarine Glen Sather.

Strange things happen as the Ides of March approach...

NYR is grabbing him, thats why he was put on waivers. Thats it, thats all. He is a cancer like no one else in the league. Let NYR have him, thats a sinking ship with money spent like someone who just won the lotto, reckless.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:Are there any other teams who might claim Sean Avery?

Earlier in the year there was a lot of talk from Ottawa fans on various forums who wanted Avery on the Senators.
I think that was all before "the incident" but we don't need any more drama than we already have. That would be a big pass. Ruutu can fill that spot just fine.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:

I think that was all before "the incident" but we don't need any more drama than we already have. That would be a big pass. Ruutu can fill that spot just fine.

And Jarkko has that 'hunger' for wins... Wink

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:
shabbs wrote:

And Jarkko has that 'hunger' for wins... Wink
HA HA HA!

Nice one.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't understand why NYR don't use this opportunity to try and unload a problem deal like Wade Redden's, for example.

Maybe the Stars aren't that depserate and Wade really does suck that much! Razz

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

You'd think they'd have at least thought about it when he indicated (strongly) that he wanted to stay, yet Ottawa wasn't willing to offer anything close to what NYR did.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:I don't understand why NYR don't use this opportunity to try and unload a problem deal like Wade Redden's, for example.

Maybe the Stars aren't that depserate and Wade really does suck that much! Razz
Redden may not have a no trade clause with the Rangers but I do believe he has some control over where he goes based on a "list of teams" he can submit to Sather.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The whole Avery thing is puzzling.

The Rangers have a better win-loss count and points total than last year, are 10 games over .500, in the midpack of the East (hovering between 4th-6th place, about where they should be).

I watch the Rangers games fairly frequently, and have observed their issues have to do principally with lapses in team defense. They don't score a whole lot, but have a balanced roster, and one of the league's top goalies.

Renney has them playing a very focused, defense-first system which the players should be able to execute and usually do. But when they don't, things come unravelled pretty fast.

Larry Brooks thinks Sean Avery is the solution? Given Mr Brooks' publicly ornery nature, not surprised he says this.

But what does Avery bring to the table? His record shows him to be an average hockey player; his behaviour confirms he is obsessed with his self-image. He's been shown the door by every NHL team he has played for.

But if Glen Sather thinks spending over $10M for Avery is a good investment, so be it.

Nothing is done until 'The Great Gabbo' (as Stan Fischler calls Swinging Sean) clears re-entry waivers, though.

Will Mr Murray will consider inserting The Mouth into the Sens' lineup?

Last edited by davetherave on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : sp)

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Avery has cleared waivers, to no one's surprise.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum