GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Murray needs to be fired!

+3
COLLAR UP
Cronie
davetherave
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Murray needs to be fired! Empty Murray needs to be fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:38 pm

Ok, so this lame Donkey debacle of firing Hartsburg and replacing him with a guy who's not even a quality AHL coach is embarassing to say the least. If this is a Melnyk move, it had better be followed up by a firing of Murray, and a massive rebuild. Then he needs to stay the Diddle out of the hockey operations. Eugene, you are not a hockey man, so don't pretend that you are. Sign the Diddle cheques and let the hockey people manage.

Hasn't Murray figured out that an AHL/junior coach is not the way to go? How many coaches do we have to go through before Murray realizes that a real coach needs to be brought in.

Hartsburg could only coach with what he had. Did Murray provide him with a PMD? No. How can Murray justify not making ONE player move this season before gassing Hartsburg? He should have at least explored that option, considering we when through this stupid BS less than a year ago. You just know John Paddock is giggling somewhere about this.

There were guys out that were NOT going for $6-7 million (Campbell, Boyle), like Zidlicky and Vishnovsky. Where the hell was Murray?

Instead of letting Tampa place an offer sheet and taking the high picks, Murray takes basically a 2nd rounder, a pending UFA in Kuba, and a fringe NHLer in Picard. Stupid. Those picks could have really helped our future, and Kuba and Picard aren't making much difference.

I'm tired of hearing how good Murray is at drafting. Yes, he's had success, but he's certainly not the be all end all of drafting. Besides, you only draft as well as your scouts. Yes, he's added some depth and replenished the farm somewhat and for that he deserves credit. He is getting way too much slack for the cup run in my opinion though. There are others who could do as good a job. If I am Melnyk I contact Nashville and make it worth their while to allow us to negotiate for David Poile. Failing that, I contact a guy like Craig Patrick. Hell, I'd be putting a call into Pierre Lacroix just in case.

Bottom line, Murray has made enough mistakes to warrant being fired. The fact that this team has had 4 coaches now in the past 18 months says something about the guy hiring them. Even if you choose to look past the coaching and say well, it's that the players that are coach killers, who's job is it to deal with personnel? That's right....Murray.

Time to go Murray. Thanks for the memories.

Last edited by hemlock on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Murray needs to be fired! Empty Re: Murray needs to be fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:46 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SensHobo at Kuklas Korner posts his take on the Murray situation:

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/sh/comments/hartsburg_out_more_binghamton_in/

From his blog:

The Senators have effectively destroyed years of two men’s careers, and set them back in a most painful way. Time to shape up, now, or the final bell for you will toll, and Alfie may remain the only Senator to play 900 games for Ottawa for a long time to come. Murray has over a month to decide who will stay and who will go, and time still after that to do more chiseling before the draft and July 1st.

Melnyk, too, has lots of time, just as Toronto did in their GM search, to decide what direction the coaching department will take.

Change is the only constant here, from the coaching to the strategy to the players themselves. A rushing river is forming, and if you don’t start swimming with it, you’ll soon find yourself shipwrecked and swept away.

3Murray needs to be fired! Empty Re: Murray needs to be fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I can't believe it's come to this, but I have to agree. While I will NOT take away from Murray's past moves (some brilliant, some I hummed and hawed over) and his amazing knowledge of hockey, the fact is painfully clear that his time with our Beloved Sens must come to pass. We need a fresh outlook, a MUCH tougher team with tough players and a system EVERYONE adheres to and a strong, hard-nosed coach who will get under each and every underachieving player's skin and make them produce or else.

There, that's not such a long laundry list really. LOL

4Murray needs to be fired! Empty Re: Murray needs to be fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:41 pm

hemlock wrote:Ok, so this lame Donkey debacle of firing Hartsburg and replacing him with a guy who's not even a quality AHL coach is embarassing to say the least. If this is a Melnyk move, it had better be followed up by a firing of Murray, and a massive rebuild. Then he needs to stay the Diddle out of the hockey operations. Eugene, you are not a hockey man, so don't pretend that you are. Sign the Diddle cheques and let the hockey people manage.

Hasn't Murray figured out that an AHL/junior coach is not the way to go? How many coaches do we have to go through before Murray realizes that a real coach needs to be brought in.

Hartsburg could only coach with what he had. Did Murray provide him with a PMD? No. How can Murray justify not making ONE player move this season before gassing Hartsburg? He should have at least explored that option, considering we when through this stupid BS less than a year ago. You just know John Paddock is giggling somewhere about this.

There were guys out that were NOT going for $6-7 million (Campbell, Boyle), like Zidlicky and Vishnovsky. Where the hell was Murray?

Instead of letting Tampa place an offer sheet and taking the high picks, Murray takes basically a 2nd rounder, a pending UFA in Kuba, and a fringe NHLer in Picard. Stupid. Those picks could have really helped our future, and Kuba and Picard aren't making much difference.

I'm tired of hearing how good Murray is at drafting. Yes, he's had success, but he's certainly not the be all end all of drafting. Besides, you only draft as well as your scouts. Yes, he's added some depth and replenished the farm somewhat and for that he deserves credit. He is getting way too much slack for the cup run in my opinion though. There are others who could do as good a job. If I am Melnyk I contact Nashville and make it worth their while to allow us to negotiate for David Poile. Failing that, I contact a guy like Craig Patrick. Hell, I'd be putting a call into Pierre Lacroix just in case.

Bottom line, Murray has made enough mistakes to warrant being fired. The fact that this team has had 4 coaches now in the past 18 months says something about the guy hiring them. Even if you choose to look past the coaching and say well, it's that the players that are coach killers, who's job is it to deal with personnel? That's right....Murray.

Time to go Murray. Thanks for the memories.
1. Why do you say he is not even a quality NHL coach.

2. There is no guarantee Tampa would have sent an offer sheet, and even if they did it was too late to find replacements. If you knew the season was going to be this bad, I don't remember you saying it in August.

3. Let's see where we are after the season and make decisions from there.

5Murray needs to be fired! Empty Re: Murray needs to be fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:46 pm

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

Torts should have been hired...what the F*ck is Murray doing?

6Murray needs to be fired! Empty Re: Murray needs to be fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:56 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Clearly, Melnyk thinks Murray is the guy who can rebuild this team, or he would not allow him to be in charge of dealing away assets from the NHL team. The effects of what Murray does between now and the draft will be felt for years.

I don't think Murray will get much say in who the next coach is though if it is not Coulston.

7Murray needs to be fired! Empty Re: Murray needs to be fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:56 pm

COLLAR UP wrote:Torts should have been hired...what the F*ck is Murray doing?

I dont think you can bring in a guy like Torts this far into a season. The year is over and they want to see what the players can do on their own. Now it is 100% on the players. I thought it was before too so, shows what I know.

8Murray needs to be fired! Empty Re: Murray needs to be fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:59 pm

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

please someone tell me it is a CONFIRMED interim gig...and that Murray is looking elsewhere?

In his presser...Murray seemed to say he had the option of bringing in other coaches...but thought Clouston deserved the job...to me this sounds like Clouston is not interim...but he is the guy...

poor...poor decision...

Torts is the guy I want and have wanted before the Harts hiring...

9Murray needs to be fired! Empty Re: Murray needs to be fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:03 pm

Its a mess in Ottawa right now, this year has been a lost one for a while now, I think he just wants to see how it plays out.

Does Torts even take this job at this point anyways? I doubt it.

10Murray needs to be fired! Empty Re: Murray needs to be fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:19 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

in the spirit that this year is essentially a wash, Coulston was a good hire. He will be ineffectual and as such will make Murray look bad. Bye Bye Brian Murray, hello new regime. Hello Pat Quinn, or John Tortorella or Bob Hartley with someone like Doug Armstrong as GM

11Murray needs to be fired! Empty Re: Murray needs to be fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:31 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

COLLAR UP wrote:please someone tell me it is a CONFIRMED interim gig...and that Murray is looking elsewhere?

In his presser...Murray seemed to say he had the option of bringing in other coaches...but thought Clouston deserved the job...to me this sounds like Clouston is not interim...but he is the guy...

poor...poor decision...

Torts is the guy I want and have wanted before the Harts hiring...
Murray said he has the job for the balance of the season and the door is open for him to remain and continue. He shied away from publicly saying this was interim, but who knows what's going on inside his head.

12Murray needs to be fired! Empty Re: Murray needs to be fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:48 pm

beedub wrote:in the spirit that this year is essentially a wash, Coulston was a good hire. He will be ineffectual and as such will make Murray look bad. Bye Bye Brian Murray, hello new regime. Hello Pat Quinn, or John Tortorella or Bob Hartley with someone like Doug Armstrong as GM
If Spezza and/or Heatley are dealt I think we may be surprised at the job Coulston does. From all accounts he is a good coach. Clean out the expensive dead weight and let's see what happens.

13Murray needs to be fired! Empty Re: Murray needs to be fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:44 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Bryan Murray has prepared this draft for several months now, du you want to screw what he started? He said his job was to LEAVE something for the future before he goes. Let him have this draft, at least.

14Murray needs to be fired! Empty Re: Murray needs to be fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:06 pm

I think you let Murray build this team... his track record in that aspect speaks for its self.

Murray is 100% at fault when it comes to the hiring of his coaches, but would any coach have really dont the job here? Its debatable.

Personally I would like Murray to stick around for the next couple of drafts and hopefully we can get something going in 3 or 4 years. There are some good pieces in place but there needs to be more.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum