GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Calgary quietly a top team in the West

+3
asq2
LeCaptain
Cap'n Clutch
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Calgary quietly a top team in the West Empty Calgary quietly a top team in the West Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:31 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Calgary is 8 points up on their closest competition in their division, they're 4th in the West in Goals For, There one of the Hottest teams in the West right now behind Detroit's 8-1-1 and tied with Columbus' 7-3-0 record over their last ten games, and they've also beaten the Sharks twice this month by a combined score of 8 - 4 over those two games. I know when people talk of contenders this year the talk usually goes to Detroit, San Jose, Anaheim, Boston and even Montreal but, I think Calgary has a very legitimate shot at the Finals and maybe even the Cup. What do you guys think?

How about another Flames - Habs Final with the Flames stickin' it to them again just like in 89 Smile Maybe they could have Lanny on the bench as a guest Assistant Wink

- Unknown Author

2Calgary quietly a top team in the West Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:09 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

All depends on Kyprusoff and Keenan... and to a certain extent, cammaleri's inexperience in the playoffs.

Coz we know the other guys will be beasts.
They're still my 2nd favourite team, so about a cup, for sure.

3Calgary quietly a top team in the West Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:25 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Surprising considering Phaneuf's been pretty bad this season.

4Calgary quietly a top team in the West Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:02 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's not happening too quietly now with the addition of Jokinen and their recent win over the Red Wings.

- Unknown Author

5Calgary quietly a top team in the West Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:28 am

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Calgary is solid on every front. If Kipper get's hot during the playoffs this team can win it all.

6Calgary quietly a top team in the West Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:51 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You really gotta like Calgary now heading into the post season. They are going to be a force for sure. I hope they can go very deep and make it to the SCF. That would be so choice.

7Calgary quietly a top team in the West Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:10 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Calgary is 8 points up on their closest competition in their division, they're 4th in the West in Goals For, There one of the Hottest teams in the West right now behind Detroit's 8-1-1 and tied with Columbus' 7-3-0 record over their last ten games, and they've also beaten the Sharks twice this month by a combined score of 8 - 4 over those two games. I know when people talk of contenders this year the talk usually goes to Detroit, San Jose, Anaheim, Boston and even Montreal but, I think Calgary has a very legitimate shot at the Finals and maybe even the Cup. What do you guys think?

How about another Flames - Habs Final with the Flames stickin' it to them again just like in 89 Smile Maybe they could have Lanny on the bench as a guest Assistant Wink

Things have clearly changed since then...Vancouver is just three points back of the Flames as of last night.

The Flames are now 2nd in the West in GF...but over the last 10 Calgary is playing just .500 hockey. The Canucks are a surging team, having won five of their last six and going 8-2-1 so far in March...and they may yet overhaul the boys from Cowtown.

The Flames in the SCF? That's a mighty long road, and it all starts with who they face in Round One...

8Calgary quietly a top team in the West Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:41 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

The road to the SCF in the West leads through Detroit, I am afraid. While I like the addition of Jokinen to an already potent lineup, I think it will be tough on anyone to get through Detroit.

9Calgary quietly a top team in the West Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:44 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:The road to the SCF in the West leads through Detroit, I am afraid. While I like the addition of Jokinen to an already potent lineup, I think it will be tough on anyone to get through Detroit.

BD, as you are a closet Wings fan Wink ...did you watch the Detroit-Edmonton game last night?

10Calgary quietly a top team in the West Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:16 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Unfortunately, I need my beauty sleep (most would say it hasn't worked) so to watch a late game like that is not permissable.

But nice comeback in the 3rd, shows resilience, and I also noticed Conklin in nets for the Wings.

yeah, I guess I am a closet Wingy fan

11Calgary quietly a top team in the West Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

beedub wrote:The road to the SCF in the West leads through Detroit, I am afraid. While I like the addition of Jokinen to an already potent lineup, I think it will be tough on anyone to get through Detroit.
No doubt... they are playing so well lately and last night was just another example of how well they can control the puck and the game. I also think they felt bad for letting Osgoode down the other day.

12Calgary quietly a top team in the West Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
No doubt... they are playing so well lately and last night was just another example of how well they can control the puck and the game. I also think they felt bad for letting Osgoode down the other day.

The current matchup of Calgary-Columbus is too close to call. They've won a game each (both very close) with the other decided in a shoot out.

The Wings would play Anaheim if the playoffs started today; and they have some serious history. This year, the series has also been very close:

Oct 29: at Ducks 5, Red Wings 4 (OT)
Dec 1: at Red Wings 2, Ducks 1
Jan 14: Red Wings 4 at Ducks 3
Feb 20: at Red Wings 5, Ducks 2

The key to beating the Red Wings has been to score early and often. This game last night was a real nailbiter, as the Oil contained them for much of the match, but their failure to capitalize on a number of excellent chances (due to numerous giveaways by the Detroit D), left Edmonton vulnerable to the swarming Detroit attack in the third. You can't sit on an one goal lead against the Wings. BTW Franzen and Datsyuk were exceptional, and at the other end, Roloson was awesome.

Once again this year, the West should be the place for some incredible--and probably OT-laden--playoff games in more than a few series that go the distance.
:D :D :D

Last edited by davetherave on Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)

13Calgary quietly a top team in the West Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:40 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:
shabbs wrote:

The current matchup of Calgary-Columbus is too close to call. They've won a game each (both very close) with the other decided in a shoot out.

The Wings would play Anaheim if the playoffs started today; and they have some serious history. This year, the series has also been very close:

Oct 29: at Ducks 5, Red Wings 4 (OT)
Dec 1: at Red Wings 2, Ducks 1
Jan 14: Red Wings 4 at Ducks 3
Feb 20: at Red Wings 5, Ducks 2

The key to beating the Red Wings has been to score early and often. This game last night was a real nailbiter, as the Oil contained them for much of the match, but their failure to capitalize on a number of excellent chances (due to numerous giveaways by the Detroit D), left Edmonton vulnerable to the swarming Detroit attack in the third. You can't sit on an one goal lead against the Wings. BTW Franzen and Datsyuk were exceptional, and at the other end, Roloson was awesome.

Once again this year, the West should be the place for some incredible--and probably OT-laden--playoff games in more than a few series that go the distance.
:D :D :D

Were Detroit to face Anaheim in the 1st round now, I sense that the Big Red Machine would steam roll the ducks in 5. Anaheim is not playing like the Ducks that smoked Ottawa in the Finals a couple of years ago. Anaheim is playing like a team that is set to lose it's premiere pair of defencemen in the off season.

14Calgary quietly a top team in the West Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:20 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:
Were Detroit to face Anaheim in the 1st round now, I sense that the Big Red Machine would steam roll the ducks in 5. Anaheim is not playing like the Ducks that smoked Ottawa in the Finals a couple of years ago. Anaheim is playing like a team that is set to lose it's premiere pair of defencemen in the off season.

BD, you clearly haven't been watching the Ducks play. I have, though...8)

Since they acquired Whitney, Wisniewski, Nokelainen and Christensen, Anaheim has improved substantially. Unbeaten in regulation in their last six, with five victories.

Steamed Duck in Five? We'll see...if the matchup actually happens.

And who says they are going to lose Pronger and Niedermayer? Not Pronger and Niedermayer. And not Ducks GM Bob Murray.

Last edited by davetherave on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : edit)

15Calgary quietly a top team in the West Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:24 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:
beedub wrote:

BD, you clearly haven't been watching the Ducks play. I have, though...8)

Since they acquired Whitney, Wisniewski, Nokelainen and Christensen, Anaheim has improved substantially. Unbeaten in regulation in their last six, with five victories.

Steamed Duck in Five? We'll see...if the matchup actually happens.

And who says they are going to lose Pronger and Niedermayer? Not Pronger and Niedermayer. And not Ducks GM Bob Murray.

Anaheim has not entered the playoffs in 8th in a few years. Usually they are hobnobbing with Detroit near the top of the conference.

They currently have, what 4 points more than Ottawa. This indicates that at several points this season, they have sucked arse just as much as us this year.

Both Niedermeyers are UFAs this summer, I'd be surprised if both of them don't end up in New Jersey this summer.

True then that Pronger has another year on his deal, but if a team could make it look attractive for his wife, they could swoon her out of Anaheim.

Let the rebuild commence.

Hmm, I know I said Detroit in 5, and although I am kind of leaning towards a complete Cleaning

I'll stay conservative.

It may very well end up being Nashville, St. Louis or Minny who will be their opponents in round number 1.

Either of these teams don't stand a chance in 1st round

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum