GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

An old HB tradition. Sens Line Combos!!

+5
Sens4thecup
TeamRenzo
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16An old HB tradition.  Sens Line Combos!! - Page 2 Empty Re: An old HB tradition. Sens Line Combos!! Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:30 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:If I'm Melnyk, I don't let you trade Spezza. It's cutting off your nose in spite of your face.

I'm sure Gene will let me hang on to my schnozz if I get the 1st round NYI pick and have a crack at Tavares.

17An old HB tradition.  Sens Line Combos!! - Page 2 Empty Re: An old HB tradition. Sens Line Combos!! Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:33 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
504Heater wrote:If I'm Melnyk, I don't let you trade Spezza. It's cutting off your nose in spite of your face.

I'm sure Gene will let me hang on to my schnozz if I get the 1st round NYI pick and have a crack at Tavares Hedman.

Fixed. Wink

18An old HB tradition.  Sens Line Combos!! - Page 2 Empty Re: An old HB tradition. Sens Line Combos!! Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:56 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I haven't done this in ages and I thought it might be interesting to do this based on what you think the team looks like post Trade Deadline. Here is what I see happening.

Heatley Spezza Alfredsson

Foligno Zubov Shannon

Donovan Fisher Winchester

Ruutu Bass Z. Smith

Traded: McAmmond, Neil, Vermette, Kelly, Schubert

Lee - Phillips

Picard - Volchenkov

Bell - Smith

Traded: Kuba

Elliot
Auld

Waived: Gerber

Keep in mind this is just post Deadline and not at all what I expect breaking training camp in 09/10.
Yeah its not bad if we're "not chasing the playoffs" - or "tanking" for short - but if we are in fact doing that, then Gerber should remain with us and Elliott should go back to Bingo.
There are still a few other issues, though: A) Bass is out for the season; B) Z.Smith really isn't ready for the NHL...not even on the 4th line. He's physically mature enough, but his game is nowhere near polished enough. Think of Jim O'Brien in the preseason - kind of like that, except O'Brien couldn't handle the speed or the physical dimension, whereas Smith can't handle the speed and the precision.
Also I've never been sold on Shannon's ability to compete at the NHL level. I just don't think he's one of the small players who can make it.
And am I the only one who still feels like Smith has value to a playoff bound team and therefore still has value on the trade market?

More than anything, if we're not making a run, I want Heatley waiving his NMC and waiving goodbye.
I'd also seriously reconsider re-signing McAmmond - and I was saying that before his little offensive explosion in the past two games. I think he's still got a lot left to give. I'd give him another 3-4 quality years in the NHL, barring any more concussions or injuries.

19An old HB tradition.  Sens Line Combos!! - Page 2 Empty Re: An old HB tradition. Sens Line Combos!! Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:56 am

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

Bang on!

If Spezza gets traded we will look back in a few years with regret, mark my words.

20An old HB tradition.  Sens Line Combos!! - Page 2 Empty Re: An old HB tradition. Sens Line Combos!! Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:57 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:

I'm sure Gene will let me hang on to my schnozz if I get the 1st round NYI pick and have a crack at Tavares.
We would be stupid to trade an entering his prime Spezza for an entering the NHL Tavares.
It would also be a little bit of a personal Diddle you to Alfredsson.

This is cruel, we should just let HB die in piece... :D

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

I'm glad that most people have Kelly on their lists for traded away. During Murray's auditioning (last two games) Kelly was a relative no-show. (my opinion anyway.)

I also worry that fans are disillusioned with the Senator's past two wins. The feeling that I got today from fellow co-workers (and people here) is that the Senators slump is over and that they are going to make the playoffs. This seems to me to be a bit of a deja-vu from last year. (making the playoffs and being swept in 4)

Please don't get me wrong, I would love to see our beloved Ottawa Senators charge up the standings and rip up all teams that are in the way. I just don't see it happening. Sorry.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

hemlock wrote:
504Heater wrote:Am...I the only one who would keep Vermette if we can't get anything more than a 3rd (or the equivalent) for him?

No. His value is way higher than that I'd say. On a good team we know he's good for 20-25 goals, can kill penalties and is a top face off guy. I think he could fetch more than a 3rd easily...or should anyway.

I think Edmonton is the team to look at for any Vermette sweep stakes come deadline day. They need someone who can win faceoffs, work the PK, and score. He could help them greatly and they have the assets to make a deal.

Would you guys do Vermette for Nilsson and a 2nd?

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Personally I would do Nilsson and Plante or Plante and the 2nd for Vermette. From what I have heard is that Nilsson would be available but Plante would be the principle player in the deal. From everything I have heard he has really stepped it up with the Hitman this year after being out with an injury. A year in the AHL can go a long ways to become a quality D-man. Trading for quality D-man prospect gives Murray more options at the draft depending on where we end up.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:Am...I the only one who would keep Vermette if we can't get anything more than a 3rd (or the equivalent) for him?

I would absolutely keep Vermette and play him at center. He may be snake-bit when it comes to scoring, but he's got speed and can pass. He'd do better as a center, feeding pucks to a scorer.

He is #3 among the league leaders in face off percentage, and the only one in the top 31 that is not listed as a Center. There's got to be a reason why the other 30 all play center.

nvm

Sens4thecup wrote:I'm glad that most people have Kelly on their lists for traded away. During Murray's auditioning (last two games) Kelly was a relative no-show. (my opinion anyway.)

I also worry that fans are disillusioned with the Senator's past two wins. The feeling that I got today from fellow co-workers (and people here) is that the Senators slump is over and that they are going to make the playoffs. This seems to me to be a bit of a deja-vu from last year. (making the playoffs and being swept in 4)

Please don't get me wrong, I would love to see our beloved Ottawa Senators charge up the standings and rip up all teams that are in the way. I just don't see it happening. Sorry.
I'm not one to promote trading Kelly, but calling his last two games a "no-show" is being way too kind - he was dreadful! Regardless, I would rather keep Kelly and trade Vermette. I've always felt that way about those two...

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Change the question around -
if you were a GM and could take one of the two in a trade scenario (all other things being equal), which would you pick up and why?

I'd take Vermette first in that scenario, despite the higher salary, ergo, I'd try to trade Kelly first.

30An old HB tradition.  Sens Line Combos!! - Page 2 Empty Re: An old HB tradition. Sens Line Combos!! Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:15 pm

It would depend on the way my roster was constructed. I don't see Vermette as a long-term member of this team and I really believe he rely's heavily on his playing partners - He needs smart players with him to have any type of success.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:He is #3 among the league leaders in face off percentage, and the only one in the top 31 that is not listed as a Center. There's got to be a reason why the other 30 all play center.

Because none of those other teams are paying 6 million to a supposed center who can't adapt to the wing but can easily adapt to playing the point on the PP.

Vermette has been getting screwed and has been used as a face-off "ringer" for years now.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:He is #3 among the league leaders in face off percentage, and the only one in the top 31 that is not listed as a Center. There's got to be a reason why the other 30 all play center.

Because none of those other teams are paying 6 million to a supposed center who can't adapt to the wing but can easily adapt to playing the point on the PP.

Vermette has been getting screwed and has been used as a face-off "ringer" for years now.

$4.2 mil. That's Fisher's cap hit, and the only number that matters. Don't make an already-bad contract look even worse! Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum