GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Richardson Placed On Waivers!

+7
Mojo
Riprock
TheAvatar
wprager
rooneypoo
asq2
SensGirl11
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Richardson Placed On Waivers! - Page 2 Empty Re: Richardson Placed On Waivers! Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:30 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

He is on a two-way deal, isn't he? Would they have to place him on waivers to send him to Bingo or is it the other way around?

The roster limit is 23 and the minimum is 20. Shannon is on the IR, so he doesn't count (yet). However McAmmond does (he only had a cold) and Fisher is back to being active. This may simply be a numbers move, the only question is why they had to waive him.

Whether a player is on a 1-way or 2-way deal makes no difference with respect to waivers. Statistically, most players on 1-way deals have to clear waivers, and most players on 2-way deals (invariably entry-level deals) don't. The status of their contract as 1- or 2-way, however, is not the deciding factor when it comes to waiver exemption: instead, it has everything to do with their age, the NHL games-played and seasons-accrued, and the time removed from their first signing.

Richardson has to pass through waivers because he's got 100 years NHL experience, 50,000 games played, and is 106 years removed from his first signing. (Give or take a few decades.) Whether his deal is 1-way or 2-way is not a factor. He is subject to waivers.

17Richardson Placed On Waivers! - Page 2 Empty Re: Richardson Placed On Waivers! Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:37 pm

Mojo

Rookie
Rookie

It's about time. I guess Murray feels that Bell is good enough to stay.

18Richardson Placed On Waivers! - Page 2 Empty Re: Richardson Placed On Waivers! Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:38 pm

Mojo

Rookie
Rookie

rooneypoo wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Just a reminder: Richardson's being placed on waivers doesn't do *anything at all* if no one claims him, or if we don't re-assign him to Bingo. If neither of those things happen and he clears waivers, he remains with (and part of) the team, and his salary still counts against our cap. If he retires, his salary remains on our cap, too.

As the Sun reports, it seems unlikely that he'll be claimed or accept demotion, and just might retire. That means we wouldn't get any cap relief.

It's a curious move, really, and I don't understand doing it now. Either we shouldn't of signed him in the first place, or we should have been content to let him play the role of reserve D, at full salary, all year long. If he's not claimed or retires instead of reporting to Bingo, we're still on the hook for his salary, and it still counts against the cap.

I'm confused as to why we would do this now, unless Murray knows a GM will pick him up... ?
He was on a two way so if he were sent to Bingo he could retire without affecting the cap.

I don't think so. He signed this latest deal at age 39. As far as I'm aware, when a player signs a contract after the age of 35 and then retires, the team that signed him is stuck with his cap hit. Of course, it's possible that there are some kind of exceptions made for 1-yr, 2-way deals... but I don't think so. I hope I'm wrong about that, tho'!

But if they assign him to the minors and he refuses to show up, they can suspend him indefinitely and his pay will be taken off the cap. I suspect that is what will happen.

19Richardson Placed On Waivers! - Page 2 Empty Re: Richardson Placed On Waivers! Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:45 pm

Murray and Richardson (and Richardson's Dad) have a good relationship. They most likely discussed this possibility when they signed him. Richardson will do nothing to put the team in a bad position. I am sure of that.

20Richardson Placed On Waivers! - Page 2 Empty Re: Richardson Placed On Waivers! Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:47 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DashRiprock wrote:I tried to find something about it in the CBA, but did not find anything about the affect of retirement on cap hit.

Regardless, $500K is not a whole lot to worry about.

So it must be a roster size thing.

Could be they are planning a fairly large deal (many roster players for one coming back) and they need to play both the trade bait (to showcase them) and their eventual replacements.

Or maybe they finally listened to what I've been saying about creating a sin bin out of the extra available roster spots. Richardson taking up one spot just meant one more player feeling safe about their position.

21Richardson Placed On Waivers! - Page 2 Empty Re: Richardson Placed On Waivers! Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:00 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

According to the Sun, his full intention is to retire. This is clearly his decision. The $500 K was just an extension of gratitude, to maintain his services and give him a paid position on the team. Whether or not they assign him to AHL (whether or not assigning him has an affect on his retirement to the cap hit), he will retire and join either the Bingo or Ottawa staff.

They might play some of the rumored players involved, but that might pose a huge risk if they get injured. I think most GM's know what they'd be acquiring anyways via scouting.

22Richardson Placed On Waivers! - Page 2 Empty Re: Richardson Placed On Waivers! Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:10 pm

DashRiprock wrote:According to the Sun, his full intention is to retire. This is clearly his decision. The $500 K was just an extension of gratitude, to maintain his services and give him a paid position on the team. Whether or not they assign him to AHL (whether or not assigning him has an affect on his retirement to the cap hit), he will retire and join either the Bingo or Ottawa staff.

They might play some of the rumored players involved, but that might pose a huge risk if they get injured. I think most GM's know what they'd be acquiring anyways via scouting.

My assumption is player/coach in Bingo for the rest of the season with an assistant role waiting for him next year either with the big club or in Bingo.

23Richardson Placed On Waivers! - Page 2 Empty Re: Richardson Placed On Waivers! Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:33 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Needless to say, all signs point to SOMETHING else brewing...

HOW BIG and WHEN is the question...

24Richardson Placed On Waivers! - Page 2 Empty Re: Richardson Placed On Waivers! Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:35 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

It might just be what it is.

25Richardson Placed On Waivers! - Page 2 Empty Re: Richardson Placed On Waivers! Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:43 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SNet just reported that he'll retire and then become a coach for Bongo.

26Richardson Placed On Waivers! - Page 2 Empty Re: Richardson Placed On Waivers! Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:03 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Sportsnet states that his salary will come off the books if he clears on Friday then hartsburg would use him as a part time coach. So it frees a space and cap space.

27Richardson Placed On Waivers! - Page 2 Empty Re: Richardson Placed On Waivers! Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:46 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Phoenix30 wrote:Sportsnet states that his salary will come off the books if he clears on Friday then hartsburg would use him as a part time coach. So it frees a space and cap space.

Excellent!

I'm remembering why this is the case now. It has has everything to do with the fact that, even though he's over 35, Richardson was only signed to a 1-yr deal. I think the player's salary only remains on the books after retirement if he is signed a multi-year deal...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum