GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gerber story

+6
mattshock
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
rooneypoo
PKC
jamvan
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Gerber story Empty Gerber story Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:57 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

My buddy who works for communications with the Sens was in the room the other day and Gerber was there with some other guy. The guy said I can't believe HArtsburg isn't giving you another chance in the net. Gerber replies, "I hav eno problem sitting on the bench and collecting $4 million"....unbelievable eh? Waive his a$$ now.

2Gerber story Empty Re: Gerber story Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:04 pm

For telling the truth? We knows this guy can't cut it in Ottawa. Apparently so does he. Unless we are bringing in a big contract and need to free salary in order to do so, I suspect the Sens will ride that contract out, then politely decline to resign him.

Still makes me like him less, knowing he's willing to admit that to other people. It's unprofessional to say the least.

3Gerber story Empty Re: Gerber story Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:20 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Unprofessional? Please. This guy has been getting the shaft -- whether he's a part of the problem or not -- since he got here. If the team is content to pay him $4 million to sit on the bench, why shouldn't he?

It just seems this guy is in a lose-lose situation here.

4Gerber story Empty Re: Gerber story Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:52 pm

It's unprofessional in the sense that he should just keep his mouth shut imo.

I agree he's gotten the shaft while here and he is in a no win situation.

5Gerber story Empty Re: Gerber story Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:01 pm

Meh, I dunno, I would rather someone tell me the truth then lie to my face. If I was Gerber and had less than a year left in this fish bowl, Id say the same thing. Its not like he went on radio or said this either.

6Gerber story Empty Re: Gerber story Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:02 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:Unprofessional? Please. This guy has been getting the shaft -- whether he's a part of the problem or not -- since he got here. If the team is content to pay him $4 million to sit on the bench, why shouldn't he?

He's been getting the shaft? How do you figure?

Man gets offered big bucks by team to play goal. Man can't play goal to save his life. Team therefore doesn't let man play in goal, because getting the money to pay man's salary depends in part on winning (since winning = ticket sales).

Don't see how Gerber not playing well can be blamed on anyone other than himself. If anything, he's shafted us by not fulfilling his end of the contract -- not the other way around.

7Gerber story Empty Re: Gerber story Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:17 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
PKC wrote:Unprofessional? Please. This guy has been getting the shaft -- whether he's a part of the problem or not -- since he got here. If the team is content to pay him $4 million to sit on the bench, why shouldn't he?

Man gets offered big bucks by team to play goal. Man can't play goal to save his life. Team therefore doesn't let man play in goal, because getting the money to pay man's salary depends in part on winning (since winning = ticket sales).

Don't see how Gerber not playing well can be blamed on anyone other than himself. If anything, he's shafted us by not fulfilling his end of the contract -- not the other way around.

I will start by saying I am a bit skeptical of third hand information. That being said, if it was true, lets think about the context. Don't get me wrong I want Gerber out of the way so that his $$$ can be used better. However, everyone says he is nothing if not professional and hard working. When he came here, he was one of the top goalies in the free agent market, if not the top goalie. We paid the going rate. Since he came here he has been horribly inconsistent with a penchant for the bad goal. He has shown flashes of brilliance like the beginning of last year. He is capable.

So back to the quote... if I am in what I think is a safe environment talking to a friend and feeling frustrated after three years of not performing and perhaps being told that he has lost his #1 job AGAIN, perhaps I may have let the same thing slip. Dude is frustrated. Most likely frustrated with his play, the organization and his goalie coach. He is probably slowly slipping into a place where he has given up on Ottawa and is looking forward to a new start. There is no market for him and the organization isn't going to bury him in the minors. So what would I say? 'If they are going to pay me to sit on the bench, I'll do it'. I don't think this is unexpected. I would have the same reaction. In fact I would love to have the same problem. Well except for the short and balding thing.

8Gerber story Empty Re: Gerber story Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:52 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I can see a scenario where he would let that slip. Frustration more than anything I would imagine, every single year here in Ottawa he's had his starting job taken away. Every year!! If it wasn't so sad, it'd be pretty amusing.

9Gerber story Empty Re: Gerber story Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:14 am

504Heater wrote:I can see a scenario where he would let that slip. Frustration more than anything I would imagine, every single year here in Ottawa he's had his starting job taken away. Every year!! If it wasn't so sad, it'd be pretty amusing.
Does it make me a bad person that I do find it amusing?

10Gerber story Empty Re: Gerber story Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:26 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

MurderOnIce wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I will start by saying I am a bit skeptical of third hand information. That being said, if it was true, lets think about the context. Don't get me wrong I want Gerber out of the way so that his $$$ can be used better. However, everyone says he is nothing if not professional and hard working. When he came here, he was one of the top goalies in the free agent market, if not the top goalie. We paid the going rate. Since he came here he has been horribly inconsistent with a penchant for the bad goal. He has shown flashes of brilliance like the beginning of last year. He is capable.

So back to the quote... if I am in what I think is a safe environment talking to a friend and feeling frustrated after three years of not performing and perhaps being told that he has lost his #1 job AGAIN, perhaps I may have let the same thing slip. Dude is frustrated. Most likely frustrated with his play, the organization and his goalie coach. He is probably slowly slipping into a place where he has given up on Ottawa and is looking forward to a new start. There is no market for him and the organization isn't going to bury him in the minors. So what would I say? 'If they are going to pay me to sit on the bench, I'll do it'. I don't think this is unexpected. I would have the same reaction. In fact I would love to have the same problem. Well except for the short and balding thing.
Third hand information? I assure you, this is coming from a reputaple man who doesn't lie.

In any case, I posted the story cause I thought it was funny. Man, I wish I could sit the bench even for $100,000!!! I still don't see how this guy is bringing anything to the table and these types of comments show me he isn't bought into the team concept and shows a piss poor attitude...and he sucks. So why keep him?

11Gerber story Empty Re: Gerber story Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:11 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It appears, to me anyway, the it's all about not wanting to pay Gerber to ride the bus in Bingo or sit at home. I don't see why either is such a bad idea really. If he's at practice and then sitting on the bench with the big club it's not a whole lot different. Personally I think Elliot has learned enough in Bingo and getting the chance to practice with NHLers and play 15 to 20 NHL games would do him more good than harm. It would also have the added bonus of getting a glimpse of what we have for next season. Not only that but it free's up even more Cap space to make some major moves at or around the deadline.

- Unknown Author

12Gerber story Empty Re: Gerber story Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:20 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:I can see a scenario where he would let that slip. Frustration more than anything I would imagine, every single year here in Ottawa he's had his starting job taken away. Every year!! If it wasn't so sad, it'd be pretty amusing.

He keeps losing the job because he can't step up and answer the bell. If he could outperform a towel hanging from the crossbar he'd get 60 starts. This team has given him ample opportunity and he's blown it time and time again.

13Gerber story Empty Re: Gerber story Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:55 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Surely there is a team out there who needs a goalie. I am firmly of the belief that Gerber would thrive where he can exist under the radar.

Here in Ottawa, he is under a microscope. He has thousands of rabid hockey fans watching his every move and critiquing those every moves.

A team like.....I don't know, LA, where people like hockey but don't read every word of every newspaper, or every blog, he would probably be an improvement for them. To trade him for a bag of pucks would be a win/win

Bring Elliot up, and ride Auld for all he's worth

14Gerber story Empty Re: Gerber story Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:00 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I have to think if he could be moved for a bag of pucks by now he would have.

I feel like we'd have to pay to get rid of him, (package him with a pick/prospect), and the return just doesn't justify that.

15Gerber story Empty Re: Gerber story Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:20 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

With goalies dropping like flies, perhaps a need will be created.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum