GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do You Think Alfie WILL (Not "Should") be Inducted into The Hockey Hall of Fame

+11
dennycrane
SeawaySensFan
stempniaksen
Aetherial
rooneypoo
Hayden
PKC
wprager
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
Mosky
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Will Alfie be Inducted?

Do You Think Alfie WILL (Not "Should") be Inducted into The Hockey Hall of Fame Vote_lcap269%Do You Think Alfie WILL (Not "Should") be Inducted into The Hockey Hall of Fame Vote_rcap2 69% [ 20 ]
Do You Think Alfie WILL (Not "Should") be Inducted into The Hockey Hall of Fame Vote_lcap231%Do You Think Alfie WILL (Not "Should") be Inducted into The Hockey Hall of Fame Vote_rcap2 31% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 29

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

Very self explanatory.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Mosky wrote:Very self explanatory.

I voted yes of course. I don't think he's done enough YET but, I think he will by the end of his career.

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's a gonna be close. He'll need 150+ more points to reach 1000 or 150 more goals to reach 500, both of which make it a pretty safe bet. No Cup (yet) is a bit of an issue.

I voted yes because I doubt he's done producing for a few more years.

I also think if there ever was a year to lock and load, it's next year. Sign superstars to 1 year contracts and go for it once and for all. We'll see.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:It's a gonna be close. He'll need 150+ more points to reach 1000 or 150 more goals to reach 500, both of which make it a pretty safe bet. No Cup (yet) is a bit of an issue.

I also think if there ever was a year to lock and load, it's next year. Sign superstars to 1 year contracts and go for it once and for all. We'll see.

If he wins the Cup he should make it in. The funny thing is, everyone assumes Sundin is a shoe-in for the HoF, yet if they look at their stats, they are not that far apart. Sundin's had better PPG (both regular season and playoffs) but Alfie has really only started to produce at a point-per-game pace the last three seasons. Sundin's also been in the leage five more seasons.

Regular Season Playoffs
Years GP G A P PPG GP G A P PPG
Sundin 17 1305 555 766 1321 1.01 83 35 39 74 0.89
Alfie 12 853 331 516 847 0.99 101 43 37 80 0.79

Sorry about the lack of formatting (it's a table, just not sure how to get borders in there).

Anyhow, I don't think Alfie will catch up to Mats in total seasons played, so the career totals won't be there, except for playoffs. He may catch up in points per game averages, though. Assuming he plays another 5 years, averaging 78 game, 35 goals and 50 assists, that would put his regular season totals at around 1200 games, 500 goals and 1270 points. Add another 60ish games with 30ish goals and 30ish assists in the playoffs for a career total of 160 games, 65-70 goals and 70-75 assists.

Not a bad career, but without a Cup it would be hard. He's got an Olympic goal, but Mats was the Captain. Hard one. I'll have to vote yes but that's just a biased fan's opinion.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

He's got some work ahead of him, but he is a fairly accomplished player. Winning a Stanley Cup (or maybe a couple? Smile) would sure help his case. Also depends on how healthy he stays from here on out.

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie

as of right now - there is no chance he gets inducted. if he had played his whole career as he has for the past 3-4 seasons - then yes.

people forget how he was close to being run out of town not too long ago.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Hayden wrote:as of right now - there is no chance he gets inducted. if he had played his whole career as he has for the past 3-4 seasons - then yes.

people forget how he was close to being run out of town not too long ago.

The first sentence, I agree with. Alfie has been a fairly late bloomer -- it's only in the last 3 years that he's pushed past the PPG mark -- and he will need to continue to pour it on if he hopes to be inducted.

The second sentence, however, I disagree with. The only people I remember talking about chasing Alfie out of town during the 2006-07 season were the media and gleeful Leaf fans. I never met a Sens fan who ever had a bad word to say about Alfie, and I very much doubt anyone in management would have ever considered moving him. He's done everything for this team, including settling for a lot less money when the organization was in financial trouble. While there's debate about whether or not he'll make the hall of fame, there's little doubt in my mind that he'll be a part of the Sens organization for years after his retirement.

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

wprager wrote:
504Heater wrote:It's a gonna be close. He'll need 150+ more points to reach 1000 or 150 more goals to reach 500, both of which make it a pretty safe bet. No Cup (yet) is a bit of an issue.

If he wins the Cup he should make it in. The funny thing is, everyone assumes Sundin is a shoe-in for the HoF, yet if they look at their stats, they are not that far apart. Sundin's had better PPG (both regular season and playoffs) but Alfie has really only started to produce at a point-per-game pace the last three seasons. Sundin's also been in the leage five more seasons.

Regular SeasonPlayoffs
YearsGPGAPPPGGPGAPPPG
Sundin17130555576613211.01833539740.89
Alfie128533315168470.991014337800.79

Sorry about the lack of formatting (it's a table, just not sure how to get borders in there).

Anyhow, I don't think Alfie will catch up to Mats in total seasons played, so the career totals won't be there, except for playoffs. He may catch up in points per game averages, though. Assuming he plays another 5 years, averaging 78 game, 35 goals and 50 assists, that would put his regular season totals at around 1200 games, 500 goals and 1270 points. Add another 60ish games with 30ish goals and 30ish assists in the playoffs for a career total of 160 games, 65-70 goals and 70-75 assists.

Not a bad career, but without a Cup it would be hard. He's got an Olympic goal, but Mats was the Captain. Hard one. I'll have to vote yes but that's just a biased fan's opinion.

Honestly, I think Mats is a shoe-in. I really cannot see that kin of longevity and consistency going unnoticed... especially in that market.

Which is pretty much the same arguement I would make for Alfredsson.

Also... consider he would be the first lifetime Senator (modern day), correct me if I am wrong but that would be a big deal.

I would vote for him.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think, unless Alfie plays until he's in his 40s, that sadly he won't get a Cup as a lifer with the Sens unless something major happens to advance the progress of this team. I also think that Alfie may play close to full seasons here on out but will he actually be "healthy" for those? I do believe he will have done enough at the end of his career to get inducted but he'll probably have to wait several years after he retires to get in.

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think he has as good a shot as any as a member of the Sens brass. It might take him a little longer than a 1st ballet, but I can see him staying on in Ottawa in some capacity.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

I'm actually leaning no at this point, which saddens me.

However, Dino Cicarelli getting in is HUGE for Alfie because it opens the door to a guy that didn't necessarily have a SC or a bunch of individual trophies.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He's old by NHL player standards, but young as an NHL executive/GM/coach/director of player personnel etc. I think he gets a ring at some point.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I voted yes on the basis of the reasons that he "should" get in which are not up for discussion here. My starting point is the Calder Trophy then you can add other justifications beyond that.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Absolutely Spez but do you think that factors in when your up for nomination as a player and not as an executive? Do you think he does enough in Management to be inducted in a different category? That would be a bit of a stretch IMO.

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Absolutely Spez but do you think that factors in when your up for nomination as a player and not as an executive? Do you think he does enough in Management to be inducted in a different category? That would be a bit of a stretch IMO.

Oh, is that how it works? If he won Cups as GM let's say, he'd go in as a builder and the player part is pushed aside? I guess that makes sense.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum