GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Penguins @ Senators, 7:30PM, SNET/TSN1200

+8
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
Ev
PTFlea
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
NEELY
SensHulk
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Only in Ottawa can you win 5-0 against the best team in your conference and have your coaches called out.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Only in Ottawa can you win 5-0 against the best team in your conference and have your coaches called out.  

Pittsburgh was missing 5 of their starting defensemen. That's four callups from WBS. We have Ceci. Imagine if we had Methot-Ceci as our top pairing, then Boro-Wideman and Claesson-Sdao. Fleury has been playing a lot of games with Vokoun out the whole season, he was bound to have a stinker. Methot had a monster hipcheck on Crosby that put him out for a half period and also knocked out Dupuis. And yet Anderson still had to be excellent in stopping 27 shots and a couple breakaways.

Do you think Ceci should be getting more PK time than PP? Do you think Spezza should be getting *any*? (to be fair, Spezza did not have a lot of PP time, just a couple shifts, but that was not the case earlier)

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I was only half-joking with my comment. It's not like normal things have worked for Mac this year, so maybe he's thinking of what would logically be the smart move and then doing the opposite.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Maybe he thinks Ceci is flat out better than Cowen?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Jesus guys, Cowen played a full six minutes more than Ceci. Cowen also had a minor penalty, which would help explain why Ceci had more PK time than Cowen. And of course Ceci will have more PK time than PP when Ottawa has 8 penalty kills and only 3 powerplays. Spezza had a grand total of 41 seconds of PK time...where's the issue?????

Prags, if you're going to look at the stats, look at all of them.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

lol, from our pal Cujomi:

Made a goal saving pokecheck tonight and assisted on a slump-busting Conacher goal. His leadership off the ice was a big factor in getting the team motivated tonight.

Time for the team to turn the corner and move on to better things than the first half of the season.

An interesting note of course is that Spezza was +13 and -7 last night in CF/A giving him a CF% of 65 at even strength...in a game where scoring should have made that difficult (despite all the *****ing about Spezza). For a comparison Karlsson, who was universally praised last night, had a CF% of 62.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:lol, from our pal Cujomi:

Made a goal saving pokecheck tonight and assisted on a slump-busting Conacher goal. His leadership off the ice was a big factor in getting the team motivated tonight.

Time for the team to turn the corner and move on to better things than the first half of the season.

An interesting note of course is that Spezza was +13 and -7 last night in CF/A giving him a CF% of 65 at even strength...in a game where scoring should have made that difficult (despite all the *****ing about Spezza). For a comparison Karlsson, who was universally praised last night, had a CF% of 62.

aaaaaahhhhhhhh so Spezza does have a HF account after all.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Conacher really benefited from that pass, but Conacher has been playing a lot harder lately, driving the net and being the type of player we all thought he'd be.

As for Spezza, things haven't magically gotten better, that's for sure. He still needs to be doing things that he can't do, ie turning quickly, accelerating quickly to backcheck etc. People who think he's 100% are out to lunch at this point, the problem is, he's playing stupid hockey as well and he may not ever fully recover from the surgeries. That's not a great mix.

Another thing to consider - albeit likely in the future is: if you take Spezza out of this lineup, does all the defensive spotlight from opponents fall squarely on Turris and Ryan? Turris has turned a corner as an overall player, but his point production appears to have been affected positively by having Spezza there as insulation.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:I was at the game.  I sure picked a good one to go too.  Plus my little 2 month old took in her first game (and slept through the entire thing)...so she was obviously the good luck charm.  

We kinda put up a dud in the 2nd period, but, like last year, goaltending held us in there and then we put the pedal down in the third after no doubt getting some "motivation" during the second intermission.  

It was wonderful to see Crysby crying about Methot's hip check after the game.  

Kassian played really well in his 6 minutes...he had a couple nice defensive plays, and threw the body around too.  He could play every night for us and I would have zero issue with that.

It was nice to see the ice time spread around to pretty much everyone...even Karlsson only played 23 mins.  Spezza only had 15.  There were 5 other forwards with more ice time than him.  

Pageau was really solid on the faceoffs going 8-3.

The penalty kill was fantastic.

There's still tons of room for improvement, but if we can take one of the next two versus Boston, that'll be another big confidence boost...we play a ton of road games in the next month or so, so the guys are gonna need all the confidence they can get.

Now you NEED to get tickets to the Boston game and half joke about selling them!!!!

Get Tim tickets to the Boston game fund opened!!!

- Unknown Author

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I fully support this endeavour.

Merry Christmas you guys.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Jesus guys, Cowen played a full six minutes more than Ceci.  Cowen also had a minor penalty, which would help explain why Ceci had more PK time than Cowen.  And of course Ceci will have more PK time than PP when Ottawa has 8 penalty kills and only 3 powerplays.  Spezza had a grand total of 41 seconds of PK time...where's the issue?????

Prags, if you're going to look at the stats, look at all of them.

I qualified my comment regarding Spezza. Earlier he was getting more PK time and our PK stunk. So did Anderson's SV% but, still, I'm sure having Spezza out there was not helping much.

One minor penalty for Cowen still doesn't mean that Ceci should have had more PK ice time. Every single defenseman out there has more experience. Look it worked out, we gave up 0 goals, but those are just some of the coaching decisions I am questioning.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:lol, from our pal Cujomi:

... and a Heritage Classic jersey ♭♬

Spezza certainly showed leadership by being especially bad at singing and thereby taking the pressure off his team mates.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum