GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Michael Nylander

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Michael Nylander Empty Michael Nylander Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:05 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Well, given the fact that the Caps are about 2.7 million over the cap, have an abundance of forwards, specifically centers, what are the chances that Nylander could be traded to Ottawa and what would it take to get him.

He's signed for 3 more years at 4.875 million, and could be a super second line center for Alfredsson. Obviously, Washington wouldn't want much in the way of salary; so, could we send them say Dean McAmmond and a draft pick or prospect?

Vermette (2.76) - Spezza (7) - Heatley (7.5)
Foligno (0.85) - Nylander (4.875) - Alfredsson (4.339)
Neil (1.1) - Fisher (4.2) - Ruutu (1.3)
Bass (0.513) - Kelly (2.125) - Donovan (0.6)

Phillips (3.5) - Meszaros (2.75)
volchenkov (2.5) - Lee (1.25)
Schubert (0.885) - Smith (2.6)

Gerber (3.7)
Auld (1)
Emery (0.479)

total of 55.826

2Michael Nylander Empty Re: Michael Nylander Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:33 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:Well, given the fact that the Caps are about 2.7 million over the cap, have an abundance of forwards, specifically centers, what are the chances that Nylander could be traded to Ottawa and what would it take to get him.

He's signed for 3 more years at 4.875 million, and could be a super second line center for Alfredsson. Obviously, Washington wouldn't want much in the way of salary; so, could we send them say Dean McAmmond and a draft pick or prospect?

Vermette (2.76) - Spezza (7) - Heatley (7.5)
Foligno (0.85) - Nylander (4.875) - Alfredsson (4.339)
Neil (1.1) - Fisher (4.2) - Ruutu (1.3)
Bass (0.513) - Kelly (2.125) - Donovan (0.6)

Phillips (3.5) - Meszaros (2.75)
volchenkov (2.5) - Lee (1.25)
Schubert (0.885) - Smith (2.6)

Gerber (3.7)
Auld (1)
Emery (0.479)

total of 55.826

I think WAS has other options rather than trading away one of their top 2 centres. If I'm not mistaken, Pothier ($2.5 mil) is still injured and may qualify for LTIR. or at least I seem to recall hearing rumours to that effect. They're also got 14 forwards at the moment, and some of those guys have got to be on 2-way deals who can be sent to the minors, no? They're also got Poti and his rather substantial $3.5 mil / 3 yr contract, and I imagine he is much more expendable than Nylander now that Green has emerged.

From OTT's perspective, while I admit Nylander would certainly add some offensive punch to our 2nd line, picking up him might send the wrong message to our current 2nd- and 3rd-line centres, Fisher and Kelly, who just signed long-term contracts with the team. I don't imagine either would take kindly to being bumped down the depth chart like that. I'm also not sure that Murray wants to be paying his 3rd-line centre $4+ mil / yr and your 4th-line centre $2+ mil / yr. Plus, with a little less than $900,000 in space, we'd be a bit to close to the cap for comfort.

It's a neat idea, I grant, but I think WAS will take a different approach to fixing its cap problems, and I'm not sure it would be the best fit for OTT anyway.

3Michael Nylander Empty Re: Michael Nylander Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:13 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
I think WAS has other options rather than trading away one of their top 2 centres. If I'm not mistaken, Pothier ($2.5 mil) is still injured and may qualify for LTIR. or at least I seem to recall hearing rumours to that effect. They're also got 14 forwards at the moment, and some of those guys have got to be on 2-way deals who can be sent to the minors, no? They're also got Poti and his rather substantial $3.5 mil / 3 yr contract, and I imagine he is much more expendable than Nylander now that Green has emerged.

From OTT's perspective, while I admit Nylander would certainly add some offensive punch to our 2nd line, picking up him might send the wrong message to our current 2nd- and 3rd-line centres, Fisher and Kelly, who just signed long-term contracts with the team. I don't imagine either would take kindly to being bumped down the depth chart like that. I'm also not sure that Murray wants to be paying his 3rd-line centre $4+ mil / yr and your 4th-line centre $2+ mil / yr. Plus, with a little less than $900,000 in space, we'd be a bit to close to the cap for comfort.

It's a neat idea, I grant, but I think WAS will take a different approach to fixing its cap problems, and I'm not sure it would be the best fit for OTT anyway.

Just to follow that point up: Steven Hindle (via Chip McCleary) is saying that this indeed appears that Pothier will be on LTIR this year, and his salary will not count against the cap:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=98

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum