GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rick Rypien found dead

+7
SensHulk
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
wprager
Riprock
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:16 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You gotta wonder with some of the guys that end up being fighters, if they have issues of their own that lead to them being extra violent on the ice. Look at guys like Tootoo and Cooke…you can't tell me that these guys aren't already a little inherently violent.

17Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:18 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:You gotta wonder with some of the guys that end up being fighters, if they have issues of their own that lead to them being extra violent on the ice. Look at guys like Tootoo and Cooke…you can't tell me that these guys aren't already a little inherently violent.

A lot of guys are just violet. Ben Eager is a very nice example of that.

18Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:25 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:You gotta wonder with some of the guys that end up being fighters, if they have issues of their own that lead to them being extra violent on the ice. Look at guys like Tootoo and Cooke…you can't tell me that these guys aren't already a little inherently violent.

A lot of guys are just violet. Ben Eager is a very nice example of that.

I thought of him as more of a mauve. Sarcasm

19Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:29 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Assuming this is a suicide, it just goes to show how money doesn't buy happiness. A lot of people would give anything to trade places with a professional athlete…and then when you see something like this, it just makes it even more tragic.

Or he has been beat in the head so many times he had brain damage.

What about Tom Cavanagh (Sharks prospect)? Looks like he only had 2 AHL fights in his career. Found dead in a mall parking lot back in January. Died of "multiple traumatic injuries due to blunt force impact" which was ruled a suicide (don't even want to think how that's possible). Anyhow, point is he suffered from mental illness -- same as Rypien -- but not likely brain damaged.

I could be wrong, but the kind of pressure that having to fight the other team's best fighter on a nightly basis could certainly affect your mental state. Stress and anxiety, not being able to sleep -- all of that can lead to medication, then overmedication and dependence. Probably doesn't help the situation if they are already suffering from depression or other disorders.

20Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:03 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Depression is a side effect from damage to the brain. A concussion by definition is indeed brain damage. I'm not going to speculate on why someone woudl kill themselves but there is absolutely a relation between head injuries and hockey players, football players, dying young/suicide.

No one has any idea for the most part of the brain will react to a trama to the head. Yah, there has been more research done to study the effects of head injuries but there is no study to determine what might be knocked loose from a head injury. It could be some family gene issue that hasn't effected someones life until a blow to the head. Personally, I never once had a migrain until I was knocked out, now I get them all the time as my mother and her family get them all the time.

Point being is I would be willing to bet that the shots athlete's take to the head are absolutely part of the cause of suicides in cases like this. Chris Benoit is another pretty good example of a guy who's brain was basically mush because of multiple shots to the brain.

21Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:10 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

A lot of people have depression that have never played sports. It is an illness.

It's time to bring 'mental illness' out of the shadows.

The Richardson's tried to do that last year with Daron's suicide. Alfie with his sister's mental illness and being a spokesman for "you know who I am".

People can get help. It is there for them but they have to use it.

How can it be so bad for someone to commit suicide... knowing it will be their family that finds them. It's really tragic...

22Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:22 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Depression is a side effect from damage to the brain.

No.

23Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:36 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

spader wrote:

No.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080118115428.htm

Good call.

24Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:41 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

sandysensfan wrote:A lot of people have depression that have never played sports. It is an illness.

The Richardson's tried to do that last year with Daron's suicide. Alfie with his sister's mental illness and being a spokesman for "you know who I am".

How can it be so bad for someone to commit suicide... knowing it will be their family that finds them. It's really tragic...

Depression is an illness, I agree but it is absolutely brought on by blows to the head or brain damage. People are acting like there is some simple explination to a varity of different problems or specific instances like the one with Rypin.

It's not as simple as saying "the help is there". Do people not understand that a concussion (in this circumstance) could have very well led to depression that was brought on my damage to the brain... if that's the case the help might not be "there for them" because they are not thinking right, maybe not thinking at all.

25Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:50 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:

No.

Good call.

But it's not the only causation. Depression and other mental illnesses are the result of neurotransmitters not functioning properly, whether it be too much neurotransmitters collecting in synapses, or over activity in synapses. More or less right. That is why pharmaceutical in conjunction with therapeutic treatment is the only effective treatment.

Yes, there's a lot of correlation between brain trauma and these spots on the brain that resemble Alzheimers/Dementia, but studies have a long way to go.

26Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:53 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Dash wrote:
NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:

No.

Good call.

But it's not the only causation. Depression and other mental illnesses are the result of neurotransmitters not functioning properly, whether it be too much neurotransmitters collecting in synapses, or over activity in synapses. More or less right. That is why pharmaceutical in conjunction with therapeutic treatment is the only effective treatment.

Yes, there's a lot of correlation between brain trauma and these spots on the brain that resemble Alzheimers/Dementia, but studies have a long way to go.

Absolutely. The point I am trying to make, long and short. you get hit in the head enough, you become Cussed up and unless there is some way of being able to repair brain cells or w/e else is damaged up there, things like this will continue to happen.

27Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:03 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:A lot of people have depression that have never played sports. It is an illness.

Depression is an illness, I agree but it is absolutely brought on by blows to the head or brain damage. People are acting like there is some simple explination to a varity of different problems or specific instances like the one with Rypin.

It's not as simple as saying "the help is there". Do people not understand that a concussion (in this circumstance) could have very well led to depression that was brought on my damage to the brain... if that's the case the help might not be "there for them" because they are not thinking right, maybe not thinking at all.

I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that depression is always caused by brain damage. My bad.

28Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:05 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

NEELY wrote:
Dash wrote:
NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:

No.

Good call.

Absolutely. The point I am trying to make, long and short. you get hit in the head enough, you become Cussed up and unless there is some way of being able to repair brain cells or w/e else is damaged up there, things like this will continue to happen.
The problem was with your statement... it came off like a blanket declaration that depression was solely as a result from damage to the brain.

"Depression is a side effect from damage to the brain. "

The article you linked says it better:

"Depression is one of a number of persisting symptoms experienced by athletes following sports concussion."

There's certainly a correlation.

29Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:09 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I sense Damien Cox is getting ready to get up on his soap box...

Munch

30Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:36 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:

No.

Good call.

I think what you meant to say is that blows to the head definitely definitely can lead to depression. What it sounded like was all depressions are caused by blows to the head, and that's what spader was denying.

31Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:41 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

If that's how it was taken then my bad. My point was getting hammered in the head enough can lead to it.

32Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:14 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Travis-Yost/The-Stark-Reality-of-Depression-in-Sports/134/37599

Yost's article on depression in sports.

33Rick Rypien found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Rick Rypien found dead Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:If that's how it was taken then my bad. My point was getting hammered in the head enough can lead to it.

Exactly... "can". Just like smoking "can" cause cancer, but not necessarily will. Just the same, depression does not cause suicide.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum